Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Training Videos

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kerry de Boer

Blackmagic Design

Fusion Training Videos

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Getting started with Fusion and looking for training videos?

From compositing and animation, to 3D and beyond, everything you need to get started with Fusion is right here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... n/training

davidsikes

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 pm

Thank you for sharing. Do you, or does anyone else, know where to find more in-depth training than this?

Pieter Van Houte

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 1:43 am

There are lots of videos on Youtube. You can search for the eyeonsoftware youtube channel, for starters.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

William Johnson

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 2:16 am

davidsikes wrote:Thank you for sharing. Do you, or does anyone else, know where to find more in-depth training than this?

CMI VFX .. https://cmivfx.com/store

Attila Sziklai

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 11:12 am

Eyeon had a youtube channel with plenty of videos: (eyeonsoftware/videos)

There are some at vfxhaiku if I remember right.

And maybe there are some on cmivfx also (not for free)

There was a wiki page called VFXpedia which is currently redirected to BM webpage. Hope it will be available soon in some form.

hope this helps,
Attila

hmmm.. I'm not allowed to post URLs. I did insert the links but this way you have to google for it.

David Rutherford

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 2:22 am

Last time I evaluated Fusion, many, many years ago, there was a series of tutorials that used a sequence from a mock sci fi movie that led you through all the features as you worked progressively through the tutorials. I remember this as being very good at getting total noobs (such as myself) familiar with the workflow. Fusion needs some sort of structured but lively tutorials along the same lines. I might add that most tutorials just put me to sleep (I mean this literally).
Due to the price of Fusion Studio (not to mention Fusion) I am in the process of re-evaluating Fusion again compared to Nuke which I have recently been using/learning. The training videos that are on the website are not in any way detailed enough, they hint at a workflow but I think, fall far short of the level of information that a comprehensive suite of tutorials should impart.
I would also like to see some tutorials that cover advanced techniques, particularly digital environments and set extensions like those done for "Anonymous" including the water FX.
I realise this may take some time and effort to produce but feel that it is a pre-requisite to grow the user base.

Thanks
David.

Marek Subocz

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi,
some hints, as we cannot give links:
run a search for "Rony Soussan NVIDIA GTC demo" - this is sth mind-blowing and detailed info of Fusion and some ideas.

Also Mr. Robert Zeltsch did an amazing job with Fusion and a particular 3D application.
AFAIK Both of "Speakers" mentioned above were working on "Anonymous"
Great inside view, on tools and concepts.

A must-have for Fusion fans/users
hope this helps and will be inspiring.

cheers

Lee Gauthier

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 6:51 pm

To give links, post more on the forums. When you reach the magic number of posts (10?15?) you will be allowed to post links.

YucatanCosta

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Well, talking about being a newbie.. here you have one (me).

I started "playing" with Fusion a three days ago. Let's say I am trying to return to the world of CG and stuff. Last time I played with such things was 1996 and I used 3D Studio in DOS by then.

So, I am trying to create a small animation (about 10s) to use as the intro to my youtube channel (just silly stuff).

I am having a very hard time to get some material/texture applied to a 3D Text (Text 3D if you will). OK, I can "link" an image of "brushed metal" to the "Test" (3D text), but I can't get some reflection on the material. Then I read the PDF which comes with Fusion (you get there by pressing F1 while running Fusion) and find out that "The Text 3D tool is a 3D version of the 2D text tool. This version supports beveling and extrusion but does not have support for the multi-layered shading model available from the 2D text tool."

That really made me sad :evil:

Any hints on how I could accomplish something like that?

Thanks for your attention.
Last edited by YucatanCosta on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Tejeda

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Marek Subocz wrote:Hi,

cheers

yes. love that video . Saw it a couple of weeks ago

Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Marek Subocz

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Will Tejeda wrote:

cheers

yes. love that video . Saw it a couple of weeks ago

Yeah!
"Teen Wolf" from Rony Soussan is also great, but maybe more "ground-level"

On the other hand Robert Zeltsch and "Lost Place" maing-of is sth "soooo another level"!
My jaw was on the floor and still is.. the tech behind is SOMETHING; imo better than deep image compositing. Hats off!

michael vorberg

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 11:23 am

YucatanCosta wrote:I am having a very hard time to get some material/texture applied to a 3D Text (Text 3D if you will). OK, I can "link" an image of "brushed metal" to the "Test" (3D text), but I can't get some reflection on the material. Then I read the PDF which comes with Fusion (you get there by pressing F1 while running Fusion) and find out that "The Text 3D tool is a 3D version of the 2D text tool. This version supports beveling and extrusion but does not have support for the multi-layered shading model available from the 2D text tool."

you can use a change material node to add a material to your text3d

for materials look here:

YucatanCosta

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks for that michael. I'll try it.

I had never played with node based software, so I am getting a little hard time to get used to Fusion, but I am enjoying it 8-)

Eric Sangster

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 3:11 am

Hello there,

I am also a new user of Fusion, and I am very excited about learning how to use it.

I watched all of the introductory videos on the website, and went to the eyeon Software page on YouTube and watched a few of those as well.

They do a great job showing what the software can do, but unfortunately, are not much use to me as I am a completely new to this type of software.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any exercises that might be available, where I could follow along and create a composite on my own. It doesn't have to be a video, a series of text exercises would be great, too.

Thank you very much,
Eric

Simon Lloyd

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 1:35 pm

Eric,

I bought The eyeon Fusion 6.3: A Tutorial Approach (kindle edition for iPad)

It's for a previous version of Fusion but that's not hugely important for getting started. The publisher's website has tutorial downloads.

http://www.amazon.com/eyeon-Fusion-6-3- ... l+Approach

I'm sure you have the Fusion user guide, but the Fusion_7_Tool_Reference_2014-10-17.pdf has a great deal of detail about each tool.

regards,

Simon.
https://vimeo.com/channels/825319

Pieter Van Houte

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 3:04 pm

YucatanCosta wrote:"The Text 3D tool is a 3D version of the 2D text tool. This version supports beveling and extrusion but does not have support for the multi-layered shading model available from the 2D text tool."

That really made me sad :evil:

The 2D text's multi-layered shading model is the one you can find in the Text+ Shading tab. You can combine up to 8 layers of shading which allows you to do outlines, blurs, shadows, borders,... The way this works would not make sense in Fusion's 3D, so that's why it's not available.

It doesn't have anything to do with 3D shading and texturing, though. Of course all that is available for your 3D text.

I can see how the terminology can be confusing, especially when you're new to Fusion.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Attila Sziklai

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 pm

I've just found some more at digitaltutors

Robert Siebert

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Many good Fusion 6x Tutorials from Alkesh

w w w youtube com / user / TheAlkesh007

Hope for more advanced stuff soon....

Duri Kral

PostWed Nov 26, 2014 12:53 pm

There are some videos over the Vimeo as well.

made a channel few years ago.

https://vimeo.com/channels/fusion

It's not entirely about tutorials (mostly about what you can do with the soft),
but when I saw some tutors on the vimeo, I've post them there.

If anyone have something, can leave a "Shout" there.
;)

and theres also a group
https://vimeo.com/groups/eyeonfusion
:)

Paul Nordin

PostSun Nov 30, 2014 5:12 pm

Attila Sziklai wrote:I've just found some more at digitaltutors

I'm also new to Fusion (used AE for 15 years though). I ran through the DigitalTutors.com tutorials on Fusion and found them quite helpful and well structured, one lesson building upon the results of the previous. There is a nominal fee, but the quality of the videos are well worth the price IMHO.

Rony Soussan

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 pm

CMIVFX has great tutorials for Fusion, worth every penny, also plenty floating on Youtube etc..

Geoff Swartz

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks for posting the link to the video by Rony Soussan. As a new fusion user though, there seems to be so much that I'm just left wondering about. One thing I was hoping someone could either shed some light on, or provide additional video links describing is the masking for particles. He referred to this when creating the particle simulations that would be layered on top of the water around the pier stands. I vaguely understand this, but I'd really like to get some more explanation with some video demonstration on how this technique is used. Thanks!

Rony Soussan

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Masking 3D in general is done with the override node set to 'do matte-isMatte'. This will create a 3D matt for your scene using the pier as the object.
When you render that scene, any particles/objects behind any of the poly's of the pier will be missing from render.

Now you can merge the particle render on-top of the pier render.

The comp layout would have your 3D scene branching out to the override node, then merged into your particle 3D scene.

Let me know if this helps

Geoff Swartz

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 1:54 pm

Thank you for the reply. Based on the video, I was under the impression that the particles actually interacted with the pier polys based on the mask, so that they would give you that foam look. Am I incorrect? So, instead of grouping together around the pier geometry, they just are invisible if they float behind the polys? Thanks again!

Marek Subocz

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 1:19 am

another topic here - or a request rather: could we have a detailed workflow / tutorial on the BIN, and how can it help in post-pro environment?

with Fusion Studio coming this could be just another BiG Feature to some, and a time saver.. and time = money :)

mikeharper

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 3:02 am

for the the 3d space tutorials are there files downloadable anywhere ?
Cheers
Computer specs are boring!
Mike Harper
Tvnet360 llc

Orestis Konstantinidis

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Hey guys,

my co-worker Vito LaManna also started making a Fusion tutorial series. If you're interested you can check it out. First video is about a tasty-looking coffee bean, using 3D-based compositing: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/28144/116265447

Win Conway

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 10:43 pm

Looks like an interesting tutorial, although i dislike very much the "lets act like Andy Kramer" persona everybody seems to adopt for tutorials now, Kramer got away with it because everything he does is free, but payware its just fluff ;)

Orestis Konstantinidis

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 2:52 am

Hi Win,
I will try to answer you without derailing from the thread too much.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, and I would be especially interested in yours after watching the tutorial.

But I think you're being a bit presumptuous. I love videocopilot, and I love Vito's tutorial also, the fact that they both speak in an energetic way is a matter of their personality, not from trying to be Andrew Kramer. And I know for a fact that Vito never spent more than a few minutes at Videocopilot, since he doesn't care for After Effects.

It's very cool to have free tutorials, I make a few myself.
But it's one thing to have free tutorials and another to expect all tutorials to be free. If a tutorial teaches things drawn from years of experience in the industry, in an efficient and easy to understand way, and allowing you to achieve high-quality results, then it's worth paying for in my opinion.
And the price for this is quite low, something anyone should be able to afford.

Win Conway

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 1:25 am

1st i never said that the tutorials should be free, i said that the Kramer style in payware is fluff !!
2nd the trailer had the "trying to be Kramer" style

Moving on
Vito sent me a promo link to watch the full tutorial, he is a good fella who wanted some feedback, other than a couple of pointers i have messaged him, this guy is brilliant, his pace, his style and the information given are superb, the trailer does it zero justice whatsoever, there is absolutely non of the fluff/waffles that seem to be sneaking in to a lot of tutorials at all.
I cant actually recommend this highly enough and hope that they come fast and thick from Vito ;)

Lee Gauthier

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 2:35 am

there is absolutely non of the fluff/waffles that seem to be sneaking in to a lot of tutorials

I feel your pain.

Even without the Andrew Kramer schtick, I often see tutorials that have about 10 minutes of information per hour. Drives me mental.

I wish tutorials would start with a fast-forward summary, wherein they explain the entire process in about 35 seconds. Then when they amble through the tutorial, you'd already have an overview of their solutions.

Win Conway

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 8:27 am

Yeah i'm kind of hoping Vito does a lot more tutorials because he blazes through at just the right speed

Stefan Ihringer

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Lee Gauthier wrote:I wish tutorials would start with a fast-forward summary, wherein they explain the entire process in about 35 seconds. Then when they amble through the tutorial, you'd already have an overview of their solutions.

Yeah, that's a problem of the video medium in general (vs written tutorials that you can skim through). Youtube allows you to add chapter markers, don't know if vimeo does.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Vito La Manna

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 3:36 am

Lee Gauthier,

I will consider that in my upcoming tutorials.
Thanks you for telling me.

If u havent seen it yet, this is my upcoming tutorial.
WATCH THE TEASER HERE vimeo.com/117401156

If u guys like it, share it, and join me on Facebook, for the latest news, ideas, request, support and a cup of coffee!
facebook.com/vitofusion

Until then enjoy what u are doing..
cya

ViTO

Vito La Manna

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 2:02 am

Hey guys,

here is my next tutorial!
vimeo.com/ondemand/cruesta

Its actually free...just put it on the vimeo on demand to have it all at once place.
Get a 100% off promotion on my Facebook page..while u there, like me :)
facebook.com/vitofusion

If u like it spread the word...

Until then enjoy what u are doing

ViTO

Win Conway

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Looking forward to this :)

Henrik Falck

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 2:24 pm

FXPHD have a Fusion 7 203 course

Vladimir LaFortune

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 11:41 am

Henrik Falck wrote:FXPHD have a Fusion 7 203 course

Blackmagic brand is doing its magic already ;)

This just proves that even niche industry like VFX is not immune to brand trends like consumer market. Its more about the badge than actually what's under the hood. This course would have not happened it Eyeon maintained.

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Feb 07, 2015 11:27 am

Or because there's an audience for tutorials now that Fusion is available for FREE ;-)

(I think we'll get Optical Flares sooner or later as well... Fusion's an interesting market for 3rd party tutorials/plugins now)
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Vito La Manna

PostSat Feb 07, 2015 1:35 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:Or because there's an audience for tutorials now that Fusion is available for FREE ;-)

(I think we'll get Optical Flares sooner or later as well... Fusion's an interesting market for 3rd party tutorials/plugins now)

Exactly Stefan!

Win Conway

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 5:59 am

As long as the tutorials are not all "use this 3D model in Fusion"
People using a free compositor are going to want FX tutorials mostly ;)

Vito La Manna

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 am

David Rutherford wrote:Last time I evaluated Fusion, many, many years ago, there was a series of tutorials that used a sequence from a mock sci fi movie that led you through all the features as you worked progressively through the tutorials. I remember this as being very good at getting total noobs (such as myself) familiar with the workflow. Fusion needs some sort of structured but lively tutorials along the same lines. I might add that most tutorials just put me to sleep (I mean this literally).
Due to the price of Fusion Studio (not to mention Fusion) I am in the process of re-evaluating Fusion again compared to Nuke which I have recently been using/learning. The training videos that are on the website are not in any way detailed enough, they hint at a workflow but I think, fall far short of the level of information that a comprehensive suite of tutorials should impart.
I would also like to see some tutorials that cover advanced techniques, particularly digital environments and set extensions like those done for "Anonymous" including the water FX.
I realise this may take some time and effort to produce but feel that it is a pre-requisite to grow the user base.

Thanks

David.

I will cover water in my tutorials...
This is exactly why I have decided to make Fusion tutorials... I was always frustrated, paying money for tutorials, then didnt understand half of it because they would skip some bits, or because of their length it made me sleepy. Most websites who offer those, just care about money! But I want to offer more than just tutorials..U can always ask me and send me ur composition u are having problems with, an I will try to help you.
Simply join me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/vitofusion
Check out my vimeo channel https://vimeo.com/channels/confusion
Last edited by Vito La Manna on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vito La Manna

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 6:32 am

some hints, as we cannot give links:
run a search for "Rony Soussan NVIDIA GTC demo" - this is sth mind-blowing and detailed info of Fusion and some ideas.

Also Mr. Robert Zeltsch did an amazing job with Fusion and a particular 3D application.
AFAIK Both of "Speakers" mentioned above were working on "Anonymous"
Great inside view, on tools and concepts.

cheers

I am happy to announce that Robert Zeltsch, my friend and mentor, who worked with me at MovieBrats Berlin..will
do some guest tutorials in my Con-Fusion Vimeo Channel.
Stay tuned

ViTO

Rony Soussan

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 7:32 am

He is the brains behind Anonymous!
Smart man for sure.

Vito La Manna

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 8:19 am

Rony Soussan wrote:He is the brains behind Anonymous!
Smart man for sure.

yeah he is.. he knows like everything.

Paulo Barrelas

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 12:53 am

My first contact with Fusion was many many years ago and I immediately felt at home with its node based compositing. Unfortunately I coul afford it and I'm very happy to come back to it, now that BMD has released a free version along with a very affordable studio version. I'm slowly starting to incorporate it into my pipeline now.
I've purchased several video tutorials in order to help me putting myself up to speed but I feel that the market is lacking a more "professional" type of training out there. There's a lot of room for more in-depth training.
I'm Very curious about the training Vito is producing.

Rony Soussan

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 7:09 pm

I am doing a live webinar of fusion at 11:15 on moviola.com

It's in depth about functionality, UI, workflow etc..

Terrence Thompson

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 10:50 pm

I am a beginner and I do find it hard to find tutorials for beginners.

I have searched for the workflow on changing things like skin tone or hair color and I have not been able to find any video tutorials that helps step by step.

MiriamMorgan

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 1:08 am

Hello All!

TOTAL newbie here, checking out Fusion 7 after successfully completing a project from Toon Boom Harmony and After Effects. I'm pleased with the results, but would like to run the layers of this animation sequence through Fusion 7 because I'm excited about its capabilities.

But herein is where I have run into a problem. I've checked out the "Getting Started" videos, and understand pretty well how to use nodes, etc. I was able to import a PNG sequence and apply a drop shadow effect. Great! Now I want to add another sequence to play with that one. So I go "file, import", get that imported, but can no longer see the first imported sequence, so I cannot link them together.

Does that make any sense? Clearly I'm missing some really obvious thing, but it's so obvious that apparently I can't see it. Is there a beginner tutorial somewhere that will walk me through, step-by-step, how to import all the elements of a composition one by one so I can begin linking them together?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Miriam

ken Turner

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 pm

I've made a short tutorial on using modifiers and expressions to create a film damage look. http://www.designimage.co.uk/dust-and-scratches-tutorial/
Fusion tips http://www.designimage.co.uk/category/compositing/fusion/
Next

Return to Fusion