Intensity Pro Log And Capture Preview Freezes/Causes BSOD

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

nickstick17

Intensity Pro Log And Capture Preview Freezes/Causes BSOD

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi there,

I've been using my Intensity Pro PCI-e card for quite a while now and I think I've isolated an issue I've been having down to the type of cable(s) I'm using. I use the card to record both PS3 and Xbox 360 game footage. The Xbox 360 uses HDMI in and out, and I've not once run into any problems with that setup.

However, with the PS3, as most of you know, HDMI input is not a possibility because of HDCP encryption done by the PS3. Therefore, I must use a set of component cables as input from the PS3 to the Intensity Pro card, and HDMI out to my monitor/television for it to work. With this setup, I encounter recurring problems.

The issue is that the live preview on Media Express will freeze randomly (sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes not until an hour or two later after I start it). It freezes whether I'm just using it to have the output displayed on my monitor (in Log and Capture tab) or whether I'm actively recording a clip. I can still see the output on my monitor go on as usual (not frozen), but the live preview is frozen. When this happens, if I close the Media Express window, my computer goes into a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) immediately. I have confirmed that this is not due to a memory leak because I've kept my task manager running alongside the Media Express window to monitor memory usage and it barely fluctuates. I have also tried running all sorts of older Desktop Video drivers, including the newest drivers as they are updated. This happens with all the versions I've tried, it seems.

As such, it seems like it's down to the setup I have with component cables. I don't know what exactly is causing the issue, I just know that I don't get it with my Xbox 360 setup that uses only HDMI cables. I have looked into a way to get around the HDCP issue and use HDMI/DVI cables instead with this kind of setup http://i49.tinypic.com/ejuemr.jpg but I don't want to needlessly spend money on a DVI to HDMI converter and HDMI splitter if there is another solution. Does someone have an explanation?

Much appreciated!

nickstick17

Re: Intensity Pro Log And Capture Preview Freezes/Causes BSO

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 5:47 pm

I hate bumping posts, but does anyone have a solution? Does the support team even read through the forums?

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 5:36 am

Do BMD read these forums? Yes. Do they read them and respond to them on the same day they are posted... or over the weekend? Sometimes.

They do recommend if you have a specific support issue that you should use normal channels to get support (call them or email them).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

nickstick17

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 am

I didn't intend it to be a condescending reply, but now I can see how it came across that way. It was a genuine question. I posted in the forums under the impression that it was purely a user-based support group. I wanted to know if the Blackmagic Design folks ever resolved issues through the forums.

I apologize for coming across as rude like that. Just looking for answers.

Return to Getting Started