Is it possible for me to use the Intensity shuttle?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
DumbHispanic

Is it possible for me to use the Intensity shuttle?

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 6:03 am

Hey, guys, I just had a few questions about the intensity shuttle, and whether I would be able to use it.

From what I know(which isn't much), I've a pretty good laptop. I mean, it isn't groundbreaking, but it's got an i5-M480 processor running at 2.67 Ghz, and 6gb of RAM. The problem is, it doesn't have a USB 3.0 port, which is what the intensity shuttle uses. I've also read something about a chipset requirement, which bothers me because I don't know anything about my chipset. Even if my laptop met, or exceeded, all of the requirements, would I be able to find a way around installing an Express card that has USB 3.0 ports? Is there some sort of external hub/converter that would allow me to use USB 3.0 products with a gigabit ethernet? Also, how can I find out if my laptop, not including the 3.0 problem, meets the requirements for the intensity shuttle? How do I check my chipset, and if I'm able to add a USB 3.0 Express card to my laptop? I'd really hate to settle for an Elgato capture card.

Thank you for any information you're willing to share with me

DumbHispanic

Re: Is it possible for me to use the Intensity shuttle?

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 3:39 am

Bump?

Liam Kennedy

Re: Is it possible for me to use the Intensity shuttle?

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 am

If you browse this forum for more than 5 minutes you will probably see the extensive feedback from users who have great difficulty with the Shuttle and it's USB3 compatability with a wide variety of desktop and laptop systems. I would say that puts you in a pretty poor position to get something working (especially as your Laptop has no USB3 built in).

There are some expresscard adapters for USB3 - but I have heard of no-one using such a device with a Shuttle (at least for HD). Some Expresscard ports only give you a max throughput of 2.5Gbs which is not sufficient for the Shuttle. Then the requirement for the renesas USB3 chipset.

That doesn't mean it won't work - but you'll likely have to try it out and see... and return the gear if it doesn't work and be prepared for a long and likely fruitless exercise.

By the way... it's a stated request that everyone uses real names here.

My name is Liam.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started