My First Few Hours with the BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dan Kanes

My First Few Hours with the BMCC

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:48 am

I'd like to give a super basic Rundown of my first few hours with the BMCC.

1. Packaging is super nice - I opened the extremely nice box and found the welcome note from Grant Petty - which also contained the Resolve Dongle and installation disc. Very cool.

2. The screen hood - made from decent foam rubber - not hard plastic - very cool - will see how well this actually protects from sunlight on a shoot later this week. Will also have some outboard monitors to compare to.

3.The camera is Robust. I mean, it's like a tank. Seriously impressive, but also quite heavy - this gives a good sense of value - while still lighter than an Epic or an Alexa - this is no flyweight for a compact camera. Time will tell how the weight and weight distribution affect operating.

4. The left and right (playback) arrows control aperture. I had heard some people were confused about how aperture works - this is how it works - although I didn't see an F-stop with my particular lenses (tokina 28-70 and canon 24-70).

5. After some use the camera gets warm - not worrisome warm, but warm. The fan is quiet.

6. The Image. The image coming from the BMCC at this build is stunning. Very detailed, and yet organic. I am seriously looking forward to pushing this thing and seeing how far we can take it. It's great.

7. For $3000 you get the camera and a full version of Resolve, I don't see anyone coming close to this level of value for a camera any time soon. Heck - Resolve is worth $3000 easily.

8. The built in battery is nothing to worry about. Consider this a built in hot-swap.

9. Port Placement - I really wish all the ports were on the assistant side (aka the camera's right side) and that the media slot was on the operator side (camera left). When I put it on a shoulder rig I'll let you guys know how much this affects me. Honestly - you could flip the camera upside down and then flip the footage in post if it really drives you crazy. That's one of the benefits of the brick-like shape.

10. It has focus peaking - I didn't really need it, but it's there.

11. Depth of field. Do not worry about shallow depth of field. You will be able to achieve it with this camera. You will find yourself shooting closer to your subjects with wider lenses (like a 24mm clos-ish) to the subject at a 2.8 will give you plenty shallow DOF.) Be more concerned about the Field of view. I see a LOT of Tokina 11-16 lenses being sold because of this cam. You can use the canon version because the camera does have iris control for canon electronic lenses.

12. Sdi Viewing and Live-Grading. Look out for my upcoming overview on using Livegrade with an HDlink Pro and the BMCC coming soon. Seems like a great way to get a viewing look on set. We use it with the Alexa all the time, and this should be no different.

My youtube unboxing will be up soon, and some DNG's will get hosted on my blog.

http://dankanesbmcc.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/embed/m14NPkYp4Ms

Jason Davis

Re: My First Few Hours with the BMCC

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 am

I know this is going to be a question asked over and over again, but how did you receive that so soon?

Paul Provost

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:55 pm

that is like iPhone cool. I want one. I'm not even cinematographer, but I want one.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Dan Kanes

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:30 am

erzen pashaj

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Nice and quick review.
Thank you!

Return to Cinematography