BMCC 2.5k Teardown and Rebuild!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Davi Silveira

BMCC 2.5k Teardown and Rebuild!

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 12:32 am

Soooo one thing led to another... Here is my introduction video.

I was playing around with the idea of adding to the body of the cinema camera, after looking at such awesome graphic concept art like this:

And ultimately this was my biggest inspiration to add to my BMCC body,

Kinefinity actually made a real add on and I was blown away. Very cool, but after looking through all of these examples and the actual NAB bmcc KINE PLUS+ made I realized that they were all super bulky and very wide! I actually made 3D models of the second art graphics and I was planning on building that as my add on.

This pic was me trying to drawing some ideas of how to explain my projects to Machine Shops and 3D Printer people...
https://flic.kr/p/qVPeRh

But after my 3D models and looking over KinePlus NAB footage it just looked too bulky and would not even work as a shoulder mount. That was when it clicked, or didn't click... I realized if I was going to go through all this trouble to add more to my bmcc body than why not just build my own body and have more control of how I wanted things to be. Obviously it's much easier to write this down than to actually make it, and it's been a journey figuring all of the internal components.

I plan in the near future to upload "technical dimensional specs" for the interior. And help answer any questions anyone might have. Please keep in mind I don't recommend anyone doing this, you can easily break your camera and you can't blame anyone but yourself. At the end of the day this has been so far lot's of fun for me and I will continue until I fear things really wont work out and I'll just put it all back together and enjoy my camera as is, although I truly believe this is possible and for less than 1,000.00 I think it's worth it, considering I paid 2k for mine. Any how hope you enjoyed the read. Hopefully people will be interested in this. Stayed tuned for more pics and videos.
Last edited by Davi Silveira on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Nikolay Smirnov

Re: BMCC 2.5k Teardown and Rebuild!

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 9:26 am

yeay! these are my screens!

Really interested in that project, because having a screen on the side was the first thing I dreamed of since buying this camera.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Luis Martinez

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 11:37 am

that is flipping amazing

Christopher Dobey

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 8:23 pm

First question is: Isn't the URSA camera exactly what you guys are looking for??

Second: I'd be very interested in someone taking apart the 4K Camera and doing a liquid cooling modification or larger fan to keep image noise down due to heat.
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Peter_r

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 12:48 am

My understanding is that the aluminium body is part of the cooling system, acting as a heatsink, so any redesign would need to take that into consideration. Looks like a great project.

Davi Silveira

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 3:11 am

Peter_r wrote:My understanding is that the aluminium body is part of the cooling system, acting as a heatsink, so any redesign would need to take that into consideration. Looks like a great project.

You're absolutely right, there are also a few forums here that have a great discussion about cooling the camera and it's overall effect on the image quality.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24688

I will definantly take that and many other things into account. To be real honest, this has to be by far the most exciting project I've worked on in a while. And as expensive as it may seem it will be cheaper than buying an Ursa and more satisfaction.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Doménico Travano

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Definitely looking forward to updates Davi. :D
Doménico G. Travano
www.toucan-media.com

PetePolyakov

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 pm

No need in Audio Meters for BMCC or BMPC4K.
The internal amplifier is unusable. It cuts all "the juice". It's being sad because even Canon or Panasonic with cameras 3 times cheaper give the opportunity to record way better sound (I'm talking about mic inputs, not internal mic)

Peter_r

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 10:31 pm

What happens when using external audio inputs? I was about to do a project doing just that, I am now worried!

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Peter_r wrote:What happens when using external audio inputs? I was about to do a project doing just that, I am now worried!

To get usable audio from any BMCC, you need an external preamp. With an external pramp, they're sufficient for dialog, though hardly stellar.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Peter_r

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Damn. I guess I will record outboard then.

Davi Silveira

PostThu Apr 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Does anybody know how KinePlus+ were able to add an HDMI signal to the BMCC while keeping the HD-SDI jack free..? Did they just split the signal?

This is something I'm trying to research about in order to add the HDMI to the camera without using the HD-SDI jack... again, Kineplus+ obviously are in china with a million genius electronic engineers so I'm sure the solution may be simple but I don't know the best way of going about it. If someone here knows a lot about it I'd love to talk to you to see if we can figure this out. I'll post a new video soon as I'm getting ready to start building the body.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Mapas Depique

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Davi Silveira wrote:Does anybody know how KinePlus+ were able to add an HDMI signal to the BMCC while keeping the HD-SDI jack free..? Did they just split the signal?

This is something I'm trying to research about in order to add the HDMI to the camera without using the HD-SDI jack... again, Kineplus+ obviously are in china with a million genius electronic engineers so I'm sure the solution may be simple but I don't know the best way of going about it. If someone here knows a lot about it I'd love to talk to you to see if we can figure this out. I'll post a new video soon as I'm getting ready to start building the body.

The only way to do this is to split the source signal in two and create new connection ports : 1 HD-SDI and 1 HDMI
The other way is to buy something like this : http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/HD-SDI-to ... o-hdmi.htm but you need a new power supply for the converter/splitter.

David Banks

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Very interesting project, I will be following this closely. However I was a bit concerned looking at your video that you are not using any static precautions. The carpet on your floor will charge you up nicely if you scuff about on it and I see your camera components just stored on a wooden desk. I would recommend getting an antistatic mat and a wrist strap of some sort as a blown IC on one of the small camera pcbs would be expensive to fault find and repair.
Good luck with the project though.

Dave.

Davi Silveira

PostFri Apr 03, 2015 10:02 pm

David Banks wrote:Very interesting project, I will be following this closely. However I was a bit concerned looking at your video that you are not using any static precautions. The carpet on your floor will charge you up nicely if you scuff about on it and I see your camera components just stored on a wooden desk. I would recommend getting an antistatic mat and a wrist strap of some sort as a blown IC on one of the small camera pcbs would be expensive to fault find and repair.
Good luck with the project though.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I appreciate the concern. I agree with you and I will take better precautions on handling the PCB and other equipment. I know the dangers of static electricity from the carpet and I always make sure I am in contact with something big and metal before handling my camera part, I don't actually do any work on the wooden table or the carpet... lol I work on my desk and try to be clean and safe. I'm learning a lot and so I really appreciate the concern. I'll keep updating.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Davi Silveira

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Hey here is an update video on my BMCC Teardown/Rebuild Project...

I have an attachment file that shows a picture of my previous setup. I needed to keep the sensor right next to the PCB board because thats how the two connectors connected.. making it impossible to re shape the width of the camera. Now that the cable came in I was dying to test it out to make sure it worked, and therefore would allow me to make my new body more rectangular in shape, better balanced, with more additional mountings in the bottom top and anywhere I want.

So, if you have questions let me know.

Thanks
Attachments
set up_small.jpg
set up_small.jpg (850.24 KiB) Viewed 61275 times
Last edited by Davi Silveira on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Kevin DeOliveira

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 7:50 pm

great update can't wait to see what you do with this.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 9:02 pm

anyone have tried to though about a cost of this addon?
be cause if you think to buy 4k, add more slot and more... probably you not far from ursa price, with stable costruction, 10" screen and more...

Davi Silveira

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 9:27 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:anyone have tried to though about a cost of this addon?
be cause if you think to buy 4k, add more slot and more... probably you not far from ursa price, with stable costruction, 10" screen and more...

yeah, I don't know.. you could be right. What I do know is that everything I've done so far has been super inexpensive, in fact it'll all cost be about 1k once I'm finished, and that's because there is a lot of work to be done building and designing the body. What has been super hard has been researching all of the interior components, cables, connectors, LCD manufacture, PCB connections, and cooling design. That, takes a lot of time! If time is money than yes you're better off buying an Ursa but I've really enjoyed doing something new like this to my beloved BMCC. Plus, I might be able to upgrade my sensor in the future, who knows.. maybe that's a big stretch.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Juan Moro

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 9:45 pm

If you're going to void the warranty, do it right! :lol:

Kudos, I always appreciate good diy projects, no matter the victim.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 10:23 pm

i'm first in diy world from since twentyfive years, when i build my first dolly at home, and i follow with big interest these thread, like in past i build a complete steadycam, but in that occasion a dop my friend ask me how many time, and material cost it, and to my answer he oberved that a second hand original steadycam cost less than mine, and it was stable, and correctly engenereed.

i like a lot build and modify my tool, but only if result is under some cost and give me stability.

Davi Silveira

PostWed May 06, 2015 5:47 am

New video, quick update.

Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Rutger Groenhuijsen

PostWed May 06, 2015 10:58 am

Davi Silveira wrote:New video, quick update.

Wow, that's amazing! Good job sir.

In your latest video you mentioned the microphone placement. That made me wonder; can you replace it for a better quality internal mic? It's not that you would want to use it as your primary audio source, but sometimes it just comes in handy if the internal audio recorded is just a little more useable. Instead of the terrible sound quality coming from bm camera's internal mics right now ;)

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Blaine Russom

PostWed May 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Amazing job Davi!! I wonder if instead of two fans a liquid cooler would work better.. if it fits? Something like this.. http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/hydro-seri ... cpu-cooler

Davi Silveira

PostWed May 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Rutger Groenhuijsen wrote:
Davi Silveira wrote:New video, quick update.

Wow, that's amazing! Good job sir.

In your latest video you mentioned the microphone placement. That made me wonder; can you replace it for a better quality internal mic? It's not that you would want to use it as your primary audio source, but sometimes it just comes in handy if the internal audio recorded is just a little more useable. Instead of the terrible sound quality coming from bm camera's internal mics right now ;)

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Ahhh, well the Mic it uses is a standard electret mic. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8635
Unless there is a more advanced version of these electret Microphones than I'm afraid not. I swapped mine out with an mic from a older Mac book pro laptop but it didn't seem to be a BIG improvement. Although my audio seems a little better due to it not being so close to the fan. I did swap out the speakers with my old Mac book pro lap top speakers and that did make a huge difference...
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Davi Silveira

PostWed May 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Blaine Russom wrote:Amazing job Davi!! I wonder if instead of two fans a liquid cooler would work better.. if it fits? Something like this.. http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/hydro-seri ... cpu-cooler

Yeah, I need to make a decision on the cooling solution. I'm been researching a lot, and I've had to great help from Csaba Nagy who has done some good testing here on the forums about the effects of cooling vs NR to the BMCC.

I'm afraid of using liquid coolers incase the tubes break or leak... But there are many other forms of cooling. I'll come to a conclusion soon and settle on one of them.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostThu May 07, 2015 2:38 pm

what are the names of extension cables for the sensor and SSD?
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Jules Bushell

PostThu May 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Davi Silveira wrote:
Blaine Russom wrote:Amazing job Davi!! I wonder if instead of two fans a liquid cooler would work better.. if it fits? Something like this.. http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/hydro-seri ... cpu-cooler

Yeah, I need to make a decision on the cooling solution. I'm been researching a lot, and I've had to great help from Csaba Nagy who has done some good testing here on the forums about the effects of cooling vs NR to the BMCC.

I'm afraid of using liquid coolers incase the tubes break or leak... But there are many other forms of cooling. I'll come to a conclusion soon and settle on one of them.

Yeah tubes leak, also due to age. I've experienced it on my own computer that went up in smoke.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Davi Silveira

PostThu May 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:what are the names of extension cables for the sensor and SSD?

Nikolay,

The cable is a high speed communication cable called: Edge Rate

It took me forever to find out
1. What kind of a connector the sensor and PCB used on the BMCC. (all I had was a small 120 pin number written on the PCB next to the connector)
2. What's the cable that those connectors use.

After lot's of research I found out all of the specifications. I talked to lots of companies and they were kind enough to lead me to the right direction. The thing is, you can't buy one of these cables... they are not for sale..? What I mean is that a guy in his garage can't order "one" of these for himself. All of the manufacturing companies that make these don't sell to consumers, they sell by the thousands to companies.

I'm planning on making a long video describing all of the information I found on all of the parts I bought. I'll also explain how I got this cable, which was a bit tricky.
Here is an old datasheet, don't go off of this one it's more of an example. http://datasheet.octopart.com/HSEC8-110-01-L-RA-Samtec-datasheet-13694842.pdf
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostThu May 07, 2015 8:21 pm

I've got to the stage where I could place the parts in order, but I don't know any tech. info about number of pins etc. =(
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 23.18.36.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 23.18.36.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 60265 times
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Davi Silveira

PostThu May 07, 2015 11:30 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:I've got to the stage where I could place the parts in order, but I don't know any tech. info about number of pins etc. =(

You're on the right track, the hardest part was that the connectors require so much information just to be in the right ball park.. Information that BMD has, and they don't share that kind of stuff. Which makes sense I means it's very technical stuff, most BMD employees won't have a clue.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Doménico Travano

PostFri May 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Davi,

that is amazing! Please keep it up. I really do want to see the result of all of this. And I want to know how big this ends up being (and what rig would fit this mod). 8-)
Doménico G. Travano
www.toucan-media.com

Davi Silveira

PostFri May 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Doménico Travano wrote:Davi,

that is amazing! Please keep it up. I really do want to see the result of all of this. And I want to know how big this ends up being (and what rig would fit this mod). 8-)

Thanks man,

Here are some better stills! I'm extending the front of the camera a little to fit a heatsink, fans to keep the sensor cool. It's not meant to look like this forever.. haha this is a transition stage while I get all of the body built in CAD. A rough idea of the future. :)

ImageLeft Side by davisilveira851, on Flickr

ImageRight Side by davisilveira851, on Flickr

ImageTop by davisilveira851, on Flickr

ImageAngle by davisilveira851, on Flickr
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Tyler Edwards

PostFri May 08, 2015 6:16 pm

This is amazing! Great work.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

Davi Silveira

PostFri May 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:This is amazing! Great work.

This is my first time using Sketchup or building a CAD for that matter, I'm debating on using 3D printing with Aluminum reinforcements or just making it all out of Aluminum Sheets... Here is my rough attempt to model out the body, if anyone knows 3D cad modeling really well I'd love some tips or help :)

ImageSketchup! CAD Model by davisilveira851, on Flickr
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostSat May 09, 2015 11:33 am

What do you think about copying peltier system of the ursa?

I'm thinking about making the body as compact as possible, getting it closer to Mini Alexa.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Csaba Nagy

PostSat May 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:What do you think about copying peltier system of the ursa?

I'm thinking about making the body as compact as possible, getting it closer to Mini Alexa.

All ( most ) BMD camera's including the Pocket,Cinema,Production & URSA have peltier cooling for the sensor.

Pocket Camera Peltier System:

The cinema camera has a similar system but much larger and instead using stacked peltiers. ( to achieve higher temperature delta )

For this rebuild its simply a matter of finding something that will dissipate the heat from the peltier better than the current method which is just simply directing it to the body via heat pipes.

BMD uses these( http://www.amecthermasol.co.uk/product4 ... =30&fg=148 ) to move the heat from the hot side of the peltier to the body.

The best would be something like a water cooler ( as this will draw away the heat ), but at this point a proper heat-sink and fan combo would likely do the trick more so than is being done now.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Davi Silveira

PostSat May 09, 2015 11:52 pm

Csaba Nagy wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:What do you think about copying peltier system of the ursa?

All ( most ) BMD camera's including the Pocket,Cinema,Production & URSA have peltier cooling for the sensor.

Pocket Camera Peltier System:

The cinema camera has a similar system but much larger and instead using stacked peltiers. ( to achieve higher temperature delta )

For this rebuild its simply a matter of finding something that will dissipate the heat from the peltier better than the current method which is just simply directing it to the body via heat pipes.

BMD uses these( http://www.amecthermasol.co.uk/product4 ... =30&fg=148 ) to move the heat from the hot side of the peltier to the body.

The best would be something like a water cooler ( as this will draw away the heat ), but at this point a proper heat-sink and fan combo would likely do the trick more so than is being done now.

That's exactly right, me and Csaba Nagy have been trying to make a cooling solution for the camera that was better than the original BMD. The BMCC 2.5k has a Peltier
ImageSensor Peltier Pad & heatsink pipes by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

I'll be trying to fit this into the original slots
Imageheatsink by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

Imageboth together by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

After some cutting and drilling I got it to fit just right. Now I'll finish off the body and work on a few other things. Here is the Heat-sink and the sensor fit!

ImageHeat-sink attached to Sensor by Davi Silveira, on Flickr
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Steven Abrams

PostSun May 10, 2015 12:49 am

Looks like you're going to end up with an URSA sized body with that heatsink! And with the touchscreen on the side as you have it, you may as well put an iPad on the other side and a do a full DIY URSA. :D

Would love to know the weight this ends up being too. Good luck!

Davi Silveira

PostSun May 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Steven Abrams wrote:Looks like you're going to end up with an URSA sized body with that heatsink! And with the touchscreen on the side as you have it, you may as well put an iPad on the other side and a do a full DIY URSA. :D

Would love to know the weight this ends up being too. Good luck!

It might be something in between the ursa minor and the Ursa major lol but it's really not that big of a heat sink, the picture makes it look bigger, it's long and that's okay because the camera will be longer so I know it will fit very nice with the new body I'm designing in sketch up. It'll look more like the Arri Amira! :) I plan to add xlr, HDMI, and more SDI outs
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Davi Silveira

PostFri May 15, 2015 7:34 am

Updated pics with Heat Sink and 3D model:

ImageBMCC MiniMe2 by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

ImageBMCC MiniMe by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

ImageBMCC MiniMe3 by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

ImageBMCC MiniMe4 by Davi Silveira, on Flickr
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Tom

PostFri May 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Id love to see some noise performance tests with the current build - especially in low light to see how well the cooling is working.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Davi Silveira

PostFri May 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Tom wrote:Id love to see some noise performance tests with the current build - especially in low light to see how well the cooling is working.

Tom,

It just so happens that I filmed some stuff yesterday. It's not technical or in any kind of way "a test" but I wanted to film something dark and a few other random things. In this video I've included the RAW,CC/no NR, CC with NR. I wasn't planning on uploading this but since you asked and I had already shot it I figured I'd do it. In the near future I'll make a proper technical video on the low level noise with this new heat sink solution I have. I wish I had filmed controlled tests before I started this so as to compare a before and after, but unfortunately I didn't. Hopefully this helps in some way, if you have ideas of test or thing's you'd like to know just hit me up.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Davi Silveira

PostFri May 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Tom

PostFri May 15, 2015 9:14 pm

thanks for sharing that!

What settings did you film with?

also - any chance of a DNG?

furthermore - I couldnt really see much noise at all due to the youtube compression - so its hard to tell.
Tom Majerski

Chris Hocking

PostSun May 17, 2015 12:22 am

You should buy one of these:

http://www.juicedlink.com/products/bmc3 ... era-preamp

Take it apart, and build it into your new fancy camera body.

Davi Silveira

PostSun May 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Tom wrote:thanks for sharing that!

furthermore - I couldnt really see much noise at all due to the youtube compression - so its hard to tell.

Duh.. Tom that makes perfect sense, can't believe I didn't think about it. YouTube compression on top of my NLE compression, well I actually did all of the editing in DaVinci.. Okay so I just got Married yesterday so I've been very busy lol :)

I actually brought my camera along for the ride and my coworker was able to film a little at the wedding. I'm going to upload a few clips to google drive. I'll set up a folder with all the dng files. That way every one can download the originals.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Tom

PostSun May 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Davi Silveira wrote:
Tom wrote:thanks for sharing that!

Duh.. Tom that makes perfect sense, can't believe I didn't think about it. YouTube compression on top of my NLE compression, well I actually did all of the editing in DaVinci.. Okay so I just got Married yesterday so I've been very busy lol :)

I actually brought my camera along for the ride and my coworker was able to film a little at the wedding. I'm going to upload a few clips to google drive. I'll set up a folder with all the dng files. That way every one can download the originals.

Wow congratulations!

Just planning my wedding at the moment!

Looking forward to seeing them, thanks for sharing the details with your project.
Tom Majerski

Davi Silveira

PostSun May 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:You should buy one of these:

http://www.juicedlink.com/products/bmc3 ... era-preamp

Take it apart, and build it into your new fancy camera body.

Hey, I am actually thinking of doing something just like that. But not with that juicelink. I'll use a different product but the same kind of idea, I'll convert the audio to XLR and introduce 3 SDI signals. I'm narrowing down on the details...
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com

Davi Silveira

PostThu May 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Hey, so here is a simple test... hopefully they will be of use, but I don't usually share my tests and I'm not sure if this is the best way to present it. Yet, here it is, I've composed a shot:

1st. I exposed about a stop over middle gray. (clip C0004)

Image04 - BMCC Exposure Values by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

2nd. Then I exposed a stop over her skin tone reading. (clip C0005)

Image05 - BMCC Exposure Values by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

3rd. I exposed at her skin tone value. (clip C0006)

Image06 - BMCC Exposure Values by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

4th. One stop under exposed from light meter reading from skin tone. (clip C0007)

Image07 - BMCC Exposure Values by Davi Silveira, on Flickr

I have the DNG files set up at my google drive, if you'd like to see them please provide your email so I can share it with you. PM me. The camera is used with my heatsink and honestly I recently recorded an interview for 25min and it was not hot, the room was a good temperature but the RED I was using along with my camera was starting to get really hot! The funny thing is that I think the way the BMCC is designed causes a heat problem because the SSD gets super super hot and thats what really effects the overall heat of the camera. Luckily, my camera design is so much more open, literally it's so free for air circulation. Anyways, let me know what you think. :)
Last edited by Davi Silveira on Thu May 28, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Davi Silveira
www.davi-silveira.com
Next

Return to Cinematography