Import XML failed to link

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Larry Wall

Import XML failed to link

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 1:39 pm

I am offline editing a project on QT H264 I-frames only proxy files made from Cinema DNG sequences.

In Resolve I add those DNG folders to the media pool.

In the Edit Window I import XML file and uncheck "Automatically import source clips into media pool" and this fires an error: The clip "M21-1634.mov" failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clip in the media pool [...]

I understand maybe it's because Reel Names do not match. DNGs in the media pool go by reel name "M21-1634_DNG_000001". While Proxy files do not seem to have a reel name at all.

How do I sort this out?

Thanks

Larry Wall

Re: Import XML failed to link

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 6:55 pm

The following also does not seem to work:

• Create a project in Resolve named LOAD FOOTAGE - CREATE PROXY
• Load DNG footage, render proxies (h.264 i-frames only) and export XML Roundtrip to NLE.fcpxml
• Save project

• Create a project in Resolve named LOAD PROXIES - IMPORT XML
• Import the XML Roundtrip to NLE.fcpxml (Automarically import clips into media pool checked)
• Edit
• Export XML Roundtrip from NLE.fcpxml
• Save project

• Open original project in Resolve
• Import the XML Roundtrip from NLE.fcpxml (Automarically import clips into media pool unchecked)
• Grade

Yet, when I import the XML I get the same error: The clip [...] failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clip in the media pool

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 7:14 pm

if you manually check:

The original timecode of the clip
The timecode of the DNG (source)
The timecode called by the XML

Does all those match? (you need to check only one)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Larry Wall

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 8:20 pm

This finally seems to work!

I am using */%R_* as file pattern in both projects, so the Reel Name of the DNG-sequence and its proxy is identical.

Now Reel Name is "M21-1652" In the Edit Index (Edit Window) and in the Master (Media Window)

So the workflow would be as follow:

Open RAW project and load DNG footage.

Export proxies (h.264) and XML-1 file (simple xml instead of fcpxml). Save project

Open Editing project in Resolve and import XML-1 file (Automatically import clips into media pool "checked", set Mixed frame rate format to "Resolve").

Edit. Export XML-2 (simple xml instead of fcpxml). Save project.

Open RAW project and import XML-2 file (Automatically import clips into media pool "unchecked")

Grade and Save Project

I know it's weird to do round trip from Resolve to Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve