Blackmagic Cinema Camera Interaction

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ryanbooth

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Interaction

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 2:05 am

Not quite sure if this should be posted in the Cinematography section or the Live section, so forgive me if it's off topic.

Heard a nasty rumor that the BMCC will not be compatible with any of the BMD broadcast type equipment (ATEM M/E 1 & 2, specifically). I know the camera is limited to 30fps and lower for internal recording, but SURELY, given the frame rate limitation is only due to internal SSD recording, a 24fps signal wrapped in a 60i stream is possible over SDI? I cannot believe that the Cinema camera would not be compatible with BMD vast array of switchers, etc. If that's the case, it would be a huge miss...

I understand the Cinema camera is not intended for traditional broadcasting, but it is an incredibly useful camera to use in a multicam scenario... I would hate to have to use different cameras because of a frame rate issue.

Curious if anyone can confirm.

(For instance, the Sony FS100 outputs, via HDMI a 24fps signal in a 60i stream. Perfect for the look i'm hoping to achieve w/ my multicam projects)

Mike Squires

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Interaction

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 2:57 am

I've spoken with several people at BMD, and they confirm, right now the BMCC is not compatible with the ATEM line of switchers.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:09 am

Correct. Currently the supported frame sizes/rates have no overlap. So they don't have a common format.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

ryanbooth

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 am

Thanks for the info Mike.

That's a bummer, but hopefully a firmware, not hardware, issue that can be addressed in the future...

ryanbooth

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 pm

Josh - thanks for the official confirmation. is this something that may be addressed in the future? bummed i'll thus be purchasing 5 cameras from Sony instead of keeping everything in a BMD ecosystem.

thanks.

DavidSimmons

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 8:14 pm

I also need two BMCCs and was hoping to use them with the ATEM TV switcher as well. I shoot music concerts and training videos and need to have this setup for a producer setup. I hope someone is working one this. I have been waiting on my ATEM because of the camera available with SD output.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 8:15 pm

ryanbooth wrote:Josh - thanks for the official confirmation. is this something that may be addressed in the future? bummed i'll thus be purchasing 5 cameras from Sony instead of keeping everything in a BMD ecosystem.

thanks.

Its very possible. And there is a fairly good amount of other people that would like to see this as well. Thought I imagine there is more likelihood of seeing 29.97p added to the switchers than 59.94i being added to the camera (again, this is just me guessing).
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

ryanbooth

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 4:17 pm

well, not going to lie, 29.97 would be even better. thanks for following up, josh. i'm excited about the possibility of a more "cinematic" approach to multicam production :)

Return to Live Production