Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Grant Petty

Blackmagic Design

Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi,

Ok good news everyone as the test run of sensors have just been built into cameras and they look good. Very good. So we have just given the sensor supplier the go ahead to commence volume production of the sensors and we hope to start getting them within the next week to start building cameras. How many cameras? I am not sure, as we have all stopped production and so we all need to restart production and see how many they can produce. However we will be working hard to build as many cameras as possible over the next few weeks.

I hope people start to see more cameras shipping, but it might be a good idea if I post another update early January to update everyone on how production is progressing.

As for the micro four thirds model, it's ready to go, however the problem is I feel until we are shipping a whole bunch of EF model cameras, there is little point building any of the MFT model. So we will ship as many as we can and then perhaps see where we are mid Jan and do a few MFT models then.

It is sure a relief seeing this problem coming to a close. I cannot believe this happened and it's been an incredibly frustrating delay. However I am feeling really positive now.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

twobit326

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 12/14

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 pm

thank you.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks Grant! Hope it all goes well from now and i'm looking forward to using this camera. :)
Last edited by CaptainHook on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Nikolay Smirnov

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Wow. Now I'm preordering
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Jesuan Soriano

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Ok grand!!! Thank you, it hasn't been so difficult. Now we hope everything is ok, and BMD can get in mass production. But the next time you have a problem talk to your costumers, the way you dealed with all this is not worth from a professional international company. You need to do some to restore trust from many people on your brand again, but building the camera is a good start. Thanks. ;)

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Fernando Avalos

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks!

Dwight Farmer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 am

Awesome news! Thanks Grant.....

paulkosmala

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 am

Good update:

I hope you mean the m4/3 model will start production when the ef model preorders have been filled, and not just stockpiling a bunch of ef models... m4/3 > ef IMHO.

Glad things are getting back on track, but sad the m4/3 model will be delayed.

Cheers.

thejasonbee

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 am

This is not meant in a derogatory fashion, but I'm just going to reset my expectation to seeing my camera in March and go back to my beer.

Cheers, everyone.

Fredrick_Keyser

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks Grant! Happy building.
Fredrick Keyser
Keyser Productions
www.keyserproductions.com

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:04 am

I'm also hoping that when the sensor supplier starts to do volume production errors don't return!
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Bill Rich

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 am

Fantastic!! Great news Grant! I look forward to getting my brand spankin' new BMCC!! I know the folks I work with are anxious to start tests with the camera!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Eston Diaz

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:06 am

Wonderful News! I shall pour the Rum.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks Grant, great news :) I hope the EF version will still reach us within January, would be right on schedule for my project.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

JerryBruck

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:07 am

I can only hope that our supplier's hopes and feelings are well-placed, and that his revo in cost reduction is back on course!

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 am

Awesome! Congrats, Grant! I'll buy you a beer next time I'm down under. Happy holidays and I look forward to your progress report in January. Cheers!
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

arknox

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 am

Excellent news! Glad to hear you're using the EF mount as the guinea pig for the MFT version - that was a joke by the way :D I would open a bottle of something, but unfortunately the bottle's already open...

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:12 am

Thanks for the awesome news, Grant!

Ok, everyone, now smile. You may all go back to your dinner dates now with a giddy feeling in your stomach and a big kool-aid smile on your face. If she asks, tell her you're smiling because you're out with her... don't tell her it's about a 2.5K raw camera. You can thank me later.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Georgeddiaz

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 am

Grant Petty wrote:Hi,

Ok good news everyone as the test run of sensors have just been built into cameras and they look good. Very good. So we have just given the sensor supplier the go ahead to commence volume production of the sensors and we hope to start getting them within the next week to start building cameras. How many cameras? I am not sure, as we have all stopped production and so we all need to restart production and see how many they can produce. However we will be working hard to build as many cameras as possible over the next few weeks.

I hope people start to see more cameras shipping, but it might be a good idea if I post another update early January to update everyone on how production is progressing.

As for the micro four thirds model, it's ready to go, however the problem is I feel until we are shipping a whole bunch of EF model cameras, there is little point building any of the MFT model. So we will ship as many as we can and then perhaps see where we are mid Jan and do a few MFT models then.

It is sure a relief seeing this problem coming to a close. I cannot believe this happened and it's been an incredibly frustrating delay. However I am feeling really positive now.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

Hello Mr. Grant,

Thank you so much for an update. Your wording regarding the M4/3 is a bit vague. Does this mean that the orders for people such as myself who placed an order for the M4/3, won't be receiving it until after people whom purchased the EF version have had their camera?

I apologize, if it is my misunderstanding, and can say that it might just be the diction that has me concerned.

Thank you,

George
Last edited by Georgeddiaz on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Greene

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 am

Thank you. Sounds like good news.

I'm surprised that firmware wasn't mentioned, but I guess this was truly just a "Camera Shipping" update and not an omnibus update. I'm looking forward to a firmware "update" nonetheless.

Tal Peled

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:15 am

Thank you for the update grant !

just remember that there are customers who switched to MFT(not new ones) when it was anounced in september , and are waiting along time (myself included i placed my order in may) , so if the production of cameras will not as fast as bmd hopes , i think bmd should take into consideration and manufacture mft models for those who switched their preorders and are waiting a long time IMO it will only be fair.

Jules Bushell

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:16 am

2013 will be a good year!!

Happy New Year everyone !

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

FilmPantera

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 am

Grant Petty wrote:I hope people start to see more cameras shipping, but it might be a good idea if I post another update early January to update everyone on how production is progressing.

OK, so next update on January 14th, 11:59pm American Samoa time?

Good luck and please, please, please let the sensor production be good.

lbh

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:18 am

Grant Petty wrote:As for the micro four thirds model, it's ready to go, however the problem is I feel until we are shipping a whole bunch of EF model cameras, there is little point building any of the MFT model. So we will ship as many as we can and then perhaps see where we are mid Jan and do a few MFT models then.

I don't quite understand this part

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:18 am

Technically speaking and if everything goes well, the MFT mount guys are only experiencing a 1-2 month delay. Us EF guys will probably see about a 6-7 month delay.

At any rate, glad the issue seems to be solved. Good times ahead.
Last edited by PaulDelVecchio on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin Benjamin

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 am

good stuff
G.

Enrico Trippa

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 am

Tal Peled wrote:Thank you for the update grant !

just remember that there are customers who switched to MFT(not new ones) when it was anounced in september , and are waiting along time (myself included i placed my order in may) , so if the production of cameras will not as fast as bmd hopes , i think bmd should take into consideration and manufacture mft models for those who switched their preorders and are waiting a long time IMO it will only be fair.

I totally agree. I ordered EF in april and switched to MFT the day it was announced. BMD should consider these as old orders and getting a "perhaps we make a few MFT in january" is totally unfair. You should start making those few now, like in a 80% to 20% ratio, or even less, but at least considering our orders like they should.

I'm not happy with this update.
Filmmaker
http://enricoatwork.com

Gaishnic

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 am

In general, the update happy. Thanks a lot for him.
But the lack of numbers, again, makes you laugh.
:lol:

Melvin Harris

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:Technically speaking and if everything goes well, the MFT mount guys are only experiencing a 1-2 month delay. Us EF guys will probably see about a 6-7 month delay.

Not quite, us EF and then switch to MFT will be seeing about a 8-10 month delay

baforest

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 am

For those asking bout the changed orders from EF to MFT, BMD does not have records of who did this change so therefore cannot make some for those that swapped. They can only continue making the cameras.

It also sounds like he was saying he'll know in January where they stand on that production and try to get as many EF mounts out.

Bruce
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Fabián Matas

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:40 am

+1

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:44 am

Guys don't get your hopes up... remember when Grant said almost the exact same thing a while back and it still went to crap with the sensors going into production and the failing again.

He now says no update until January and I'm sorry but what kind of manufacturer doesn't have facility to know how many sensors and/or cameras they can build? It just seems .... off to me!

I will get backlash but this is just my opinion... sorry I can't help the way I feel.

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:47 am

Wow. That sure didn't take long for this thread's "thank yous" to become "#@(! yous." Right classy, they are.

<---- waiting for M43.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:50 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Wow. That sure didn't take long for this thread's "thank yous" to become "#@(! yous." Right classy, they are.

<---- waiting for M43.

You are the anti me, but I don't want to knock you for your opinions... again you're the anti me, so I guess you are being you;)
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

baforest

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 12:50 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Wow. That sure didn't take long for this thread's "thank yous" to become "#@(! yous." Right classy, they are.

<---- waiting for M43.

I made mention of that in another post but was then questioned about it. Got my proof.
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 am

Melvin Harris wrote:
PaulDelVecchio wrote:Technically speaking and if everything goes well, the MFT mount guys are only experiencing a 1-2 month delay. Us EF guys will probably see about a 6-7 month delay.

Right but they did say the MFT mount would ship in December, and we all know that means Dec 31st. So mid to late January and into Feb isn't that bad all things considered. Yeah, you were waiting for the EF version, but when switching, you're technically not waiting on the old EF date, you're waiting on the new promise of Dec.

It's all minor details, semantics, but if you've been keeping up with this cam's release, it (maybe) should have been expected. Whether or not it's right is a different story.

Just to be clear, I'm not blaming you for not knowing better. I would never do that. What I'm saying is that from my perspective, and from what I saw happening, I came to the conclusion that the MFT version would be delayed further because of the manufacturing issues. That was something I concluded based on seeing what has happened in the past. Still, we shouldn't have to do "detective work." I feel for you and the MFT guys. The wait really sucks, but that's the reason why I personally haven't switched to the MFT version.

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:05 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Melvin Harris wrote:

Right but they did say the MFT mount would ship in December, and we all know that means Dec 31st. So mid to late January and into Feb isn't that bad all things considered. Yeah, you were waiting for the EF version, but when switching, you're technically not waiting on the old EF date, you're waiting on the new promise of Dec.

It's all minor details, semantics, but if you've been keeping up with this cam's release, it (maybe) should have been expected. Whether or not it's right is a different story.

Just to be clear, I'm not blaming you for not knowing better. I would never do that. What I'm saying is that from my perspective, and from what I saw happening, I came to the conclusion that the MFT version would be delayed further because of the manufacturing issues. That was something I concluded based on seeing what has happened in the past. Still, we shouldn't have to do "detective work." I feel for you and the MFT guys. The wait really sucks, but that's the reason why I personally haven't switched to the MFT version.

Agreed! It's why I didn't switch at the time.

Bill Rich

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:07 am

Melvin Harris writes,

While you might have waited 8-10 months for your original EF mount order.. Once you switched your order to the MFT camera, the clock was automatically re-set to December (the original shipping estimate) since it was not possible for you to get the BMCC MFT before that.

Pre-ordering the BMCC MTF allowed you to be one of the first to receive the camera once it ships.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Jeggintonfilms

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 am

Screw it.
Last edited by Jeggintonfilms on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:09 am

Costa Louvieris wrote:Agreed! It's why I didn't switch at the time.

Yeah, we've been waiting a long time and I'm 7th in line at my reseller so anything to jeopardize that is a no-no for me. Hopefully we start to see a lot of cams in January.

Ryan Best

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:18 am

Costa Louvieris wrote:Guys don't get your hopes up... remember when Grant said almost the exact same thing a while back and it still went to crap with the sensors going into production and the failing again.

He now says no update until January and I'm sorry but what kind of manufacturer doesn't have facility to know how many sensors and/or cameras they can build? It just seems .... off to me!

I will get backlash but this is just my opinion... sorry I can't help the way I feel.

+ 1

Just ask yourself, really honestly, emotions around the camera aside - before you answer, quote or respond, just think how much money as a company has to go into a venture like this, BMD staff & all the personnel involved -

*** Do you actually believe GRANT PETTY is not aware of how many units can be produced and how long it takes for them to be manufactured at this point***??? You're delusional.

Melvin Harris

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Melvin Harris wrote:
PaulDelVecchio wrote:It's all minor details, semantics, but if you've been keeping up with this cam's release, it (maybe) should have been expected. Whether or not it's right is a different story.

Right, this would all be valid if I was a pure MFT, but I was number 8 on the EF list at my particular reseller. I have been waiting just like everyone else since April. Nothing about my wait reset. That was what my original comment was about; some of us have waited as long as the pure EF guys and will have to wait longer depending on what they decide to do about the EF backlog.
Not complaining, just clarifying a position.
I made the switch because of the abundance of glass I already own for my m4/3 cams. I am not naive to what is going on, I am savvy enough to anticipate the fact that the MFT camera was going to be delayed, so I am taking major offense to the comment, "Just to be clear, I'm not blaming you for not knowing better."
It's insulting and make me no better than a idiotic child wishing for a Red Ryder BB gun.
I am not a child.
Nothing any of us can do about that, though, however "overly sensitive" I am being, it's water under the bridge.
Bottom line, I get it.
And there is a distinct possibility that you may get your camera months before I got mine and I pre-ordered at the same time as you if not before you. It's not a problem, just a reality we all have to deal with.

Taikonaut

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 am

paulkosmala wrote:Good update:

I hope you mean the m4/3 model will start production when the ef model preorders have been filled, and not just stockpiling a bunch of ef models... m4/3 > ef IMHO.

Glad things are getting back on track, but sad the m4/3 model will be delayed.

Cheers.

Grant didn't say that. All he said was a bunch of EF to be made and then see where they are by mid January and crank out a few MFT. Do you actually believe all EF pre-orders will be filled by middle of next month? Highly doubtful.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taikonaut

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:30 am

Agree.
I preordered the EF back in early May and switched to MFT in early SEptember when it was announced and we are assured that there will be "No Penalty" :?

Taikonaut

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:35 am

rheex wrote:

I totally agree. I ordered EF in april and switched to MFT the day it was announced. BMD should consider these as old orders and getting a "perhaps we make a few MFT in january" is totally unfair. You should start making those few now, like in a 80% to 20% ratio, or even less, but at least considering our orders like they should.

I'm not happy with this update.

Agree. It is old orders that people converted "without penalty".
70% EF and 30% MFT would have been fair to accommodate people who ordered their EF early and changed to MFT.

Taikonaut

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 am

Costa Louvieris wrote:Guys don't get your hopes up... remember when Grant said almost the exact same thing a while back and it still went to crap with the sensors going into production and the failing again.

You won't from me. I believe it when I see it. Until I get mine BMD remains in my naughty list and will continue to be in the wrong end of criticism from me.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 2:00 am

Taikonaut wrote:"No Penalty"

Was this "No Penalty" agreement with BMD or your reseller?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 am

Melvin Harris wrote:...I am savvy enough to anticipate the fact that the MFT camera was going to be delayed, so I am taking major offense to the comment, "Just to be clear, I'm not blaming you for not knowing better."

Damn... see that's the problem with forums. You can't hear tone. I didn't choose my words well there. The way I worded it sounds like I'm implying you didn't know any better. What I meant to say was that I wasn't blaming you for "not knowing any better" (notice the quotes - in person I would have quoted with my hands) or in other words...

I wasn't saying, "you don't know better." I was saying that you made the switch, which was a risk I personally wouldn't have taken & didn't take because of the history of delays with this camera. I know you knew the history and probably just hoped for the best and hoped the manufacturing issues would have been solved by now, but it was a risk I was unwilling to take because my gut told me that I'd be waiting longer. I guess I didn't have as much faith as you did. :(

Damn forums. Anyways, I feel your pain. We're all in this wait together but I hope in the end we can all share some stuff and create great work.

Sorry for the confusion. I've said it in the past, forums are all words, it's hard to convey tone and (for me) sometimes meaning. I'm not the best with words.

Marcel Beck

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 4:46 am

Now that's something I like waking up to,

Thanks Grant, keep up the pressure!
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

John Bartman

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 am

I think a lot of people switched to MTF when it was announced
Why wait with production?

I am setting my sights on recieving my MTF some time around the summer 2013
Until then i will try and forget that the camera exists.

However should an alternative show up on the market....
Next

Return to Cinematography