Write permission error windows, Resolve just installed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Max Verstrepen

Write permission error windows, Resolve just installed

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey, I've just installed resolve 11 on my new windows machine and these error windows keep popping.

"DaVinci Resolve is unable to write to selected cache path C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\CacheClip as it does not have write permission. Please ensure that DaVinci Resolve has write permission for the cache path selected and the first drive you list in Preferences."

and

"DaVinci Resolve is unable to write to selected gallery path C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\.gallery as it does not have write permission. Please ensure that DaVinci Resolve has write permission for the gallery path selected and the first drive you list in Preferences."

I've never had to deal with this on my macbook, what do I do to fix this?

please help!!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Write permission error windows, Resolve just installed

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 6:30 pm

You need to go into Resolve Preferences - Media Storage. The first (top) thing listed on the Scratch Disks area is the DEFAULT location for Stills and Cache files. Make sure you have something there that Resolve has write permission to.

And since you are coming from Mac, also be aware that Resolve on Windows does not have the option to "Show all mounted volumes in the "Library"". This means that any media volumes you want to access will need to be entered into the Scratch Disks list before you can access them in the Library area of the Media page.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

NicoleSchoepflin

PostThu May 14, 2015 8:04 pm

I am also a long time Mac user new to windows and trying to launch Resolve... I am having the same issue. Just to clarify.... when you say "Make sure you have something there that Resolve has write permission to", should I create a "permissions" folder on the C drive and select that as a location to write permissions? I want to set things up correctly the first time!

Thanks! Nicole

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Since stills and cache files can take up a lot of space, we would recommend that the first location in the Scratch Disks list be a persistent media storage location, and not the system boot drive.
Dwaine Maggart

razzy26uk

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 6:19 pm

I'm having the same issue on windows I've selected a fast ssd which isn't the boot drive , I de checked read only on the folder but still it won't let me render the file , why can't you guys just make software that isn't designed to make people's heads implode , I've never had any such issues with premiere pro I now have to use the prem pro cc 2015 for bm 4k raw files

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 am

The OP was related to cache and stills errors.

Are you saying you can't render files to the SSD from the Deliver page?

If so, are you getting error messages, and if so, what are they?

A common issue that can cause QuickTime related render issues on Windows systems, is if you have multiple drives with the same volume name, or no volume name.

So if your boot drive which is normally the C: drive has no volume name, and your media drive, is the E: drive and it has no name, then this can cause a QuickTime render failure. The easy solution is just to make sure all the drives have unique names. In the example above, if you named the E: drive Media, that would make the QuickTime renders work.
Dwaine Maggart

Derek Boyd

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 8:16 am

I am having this same issue, however when attempting to change the path to the desired path, it keeps resetting it to me upon save to a DVD drive. Like, I click save, and it reverts it to the J: (DVD) drive, and the errors pop up immediately, while still in the general options tab.

Kaye Lee

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 am

Transfer your source footage to your desktop rather than let it come off the external hard drive. This solves the PERMISSIONS WRITE issue.

stephen_b

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm still having this issue too. I can't seem to find a folder on my computer that Resolve can write to. Does anyone know how to give Resolve write access to a certain folder?

NykFry

PostFri May 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Same issue here. 15 beta, so years later from original post: Following logic, dialog boxes, and previous steps mentioned in this thread, it still will not let me change paths. Please fix.

NykFry

PostFri May 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Kaye Lee wrote:Transfer your source footage to your desktop rather than let it come off the external hard drive. This solves the PERMISSIONS WRITE issue.

1. It doesn't, and 2. do you really suggest we use our system drives for video?

nicholasjude

PostFri May 25, 2018 8:09 am

I using Resolve 15 Public Beta 2 on Windows 10. I am correctly working on an audio project. I noticed sometimes the audio waveforms do not show up properly, Despite the fact the 'SHOW AUDIO WAVEFORMS' is turned on the media pool.
I am correctly set my Cache file location and gallery for stills. I disconnected one of the drives and then reconnected them to work on a project. Resolve said you need set write permission for the cache/ Gallery location. Despite the fact i tried changing the location and relocating the cache location and hitting save, it changes the location once again to old past location and keeps asking to set permission for that location.

Its the same drive, same location, same folders and same files. even the files are not renamed.

I even tried copying my files to a local SSD drive like C drive and created a new project and tried setting cache files to resolve under the master settings in project settings. Its just not working.

This process is really frustrating. The Audio Playback seems to be working fine but the waveforms do not appear on the timeline even changing the previews options.

Lucas Hilty

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Same problem here. I have not had this problem, as I recall, in all the time I used Resolve until now. I just installed 15 beta 8. I can't write to the drive I normally use, and I can't write to the desktop.

UPDATE
After installing beta 8, I had also created a new database. It was stored on the same drive, same parent directory, as the old database. However, when I exported the drp and imported it to the old database, I could render to the computer.
It seems there was something wrong in the way I set up the new database. I wish I knew what it was.
Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660Ti
Win 10 x64 Pro
DaVinci Resolve 15

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Check the Resolve version number and make sure you have build 081. If you have build 080, download from the web site again and install.
Dwaine Maggart

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 3:27 pm

I had this issue too. It began when windows changed the drive letter of my scratch disk. I was not able to get resolve to change the cache to the path with the new drive letter. I deleted the cache, changed the drive letter back to the original one, and now it seems to be OK.

jakeb0

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 2:39 pm

If anyone stumbles across this thread because they're seeing this error in OSX, adding administrator permissions to the drive and ClipCache folder fixed it. In this case, it's an SSD connected via USB3.

IsraEliteMedia

PostSat May 23, 2020 8:59 am

I am on Windows 10 and I get this error everytime I try to create a new database. I have checked the sharing permissions on the folder. The path is included in the system preferences as well. Stumped what to try next. I wish Davinci Resolve errors like this were covered in a troubleshooting portion of the manual.
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Return to DaVinci Resolve