Wrong audio exporting...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chris.white

Wrong audio exporting...

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Hello all,

I have a project I'm working on and have stumbled into something extremely odd... or perhaps I'm just missing something.

I graded and cut up a bunch of clips in Resolve 11.1.1. Normally, I'd sync my "good" audio in Premiere... however, I decided to try it in Resolve this time around. So, I managed to sync all of my clips up with the appropriate audio, and deleted the old audio clip tracks of the audio that was embedded in the video clips.

Now, when I go to the "Deliver" option and export the files, the graded clips seem to be exporting with the original audio intact, instead of the audio I had replaced with. I'm baffled by this as there's only 1 audio track showing on the timeline (the good audio), and it plays the good audio while editing/previewing in Resolve.... but when exported, it's wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
---
Chris

chris.white

Re: Wrong audio exporting...

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 2:37 am

I updated my software to 11.1.2 , and still having the same issue. This really makes no sense whatsoever. If the audio tracks aren't in the timeline, they shouldn't be outputting, right?

I'm hoping that it's just a quick fix/setting I'm missing somewhere or something. Any one have any suggestions?

chris.white

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 3:11 pm

I must be missing something... I just opened another project and placed some random audio into it... muting the track embedded in the footage, and it still plays the original (muted) audio when exported, instead of the imported audio.

Can someone tell me what I'm might be overlooking? I've never had to worry about audio in Resolve before, so this is a bit new to me.

Thanks,
Chris

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 7:43 pm

It sounds like you're doing the right thing, but then audio support in Resolve is pretty poor.

Can you hear the correct audio in the previews on the edit page, assuming your edit page gives you clean playback, which would apparently be a rarity?

(Mine doesn't... even when I'm getting smooth playback on the color page, I get extremely choppy playback in the edit page with exactly the same clips).
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:43 am

If you render in Individual Source Clip mode, you will get the source file embedded audio, if any, and/or audio that you have synced to the source files on the Media page. You will NOT get the audio you have on the Edit page timeline unless you render in Single Clip mode.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

João Gomes

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 11:59 pm

I´m getting the same problem... this is ridiculous... No matter how hard i try i still can´t rely on Resolve for anything other than colorgrading. Why does Blackmagic advertises it as an NLE is beyond me.
Back to Premiere...
Cameraman/Editor

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 12:11 am

In their defense, BMD is touting NLE as one of the major upgrades going into v12, not so much v11.

They have a great UI for NLE work, but as they told me at NAB, the audio engine was killing them, so they dedicated a lot of effort to addressing that in v12. The results will I think speak for themselves when Resolve 12 is available.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 12:21 am

João Gomes wrote:I´m getting the same problem... this is ridiculous... No matter how hard i try i still can´t rely on Resolve for anything other than colorgrading. Why does Blackmagic advertises it as an NLE is beyond me.
Back to Premiere...

When rendering make sure you select the Single Clip option and it will render the timeline audio.

The Individual Source Clips is meant for the round trip workflows where you will be sending all the source material to another NLE for it to finish the render.

Let us know if this works for you.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

João Gomes

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 12:23 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:In their defense, BMD is touting NLE as one of the major upgrades going into v12, not so much v11.

They have a great UI for NLE work, but as they told me at NAB, the audio engine was killing them, so they dedicated a lot of effort to addressing that in v12. The results will I think speak for themselves when Resolve 12 is available.

They did exactly the same "touting" when version 11 came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cameraman/Editor

João Gomes

Wrong audio exporting...

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 12:28 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
João Gomes wrote:I´m getting the same problem... this is ridiculous... No matter how hard i try i still can´t rely on Resolve for anything other than colorgrading. Why does Blackmagic advertises it as an NLE is beyond me.
Back to Premiere...

When rendering make sure you select the Single Clip option and it will render the timeline audio.

The Individual Source Clips is meant for the round trip workflows where you will be sending all the source material to another NLE for it to finish the render.

Thanks Rohit. That's what i've been doing but it's not practical at all. These are fast turnaround gigs and I just don't have the time to get all the footage in Resolve, sync audio, export as a single clip and chop it off again in Premiere or After Effects (where I animate some lower thirds stuff). It's sad but for these kinds of jobs i'll stick to Premiere with Magic Bullet...

Cameraman/Editor

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 12:31 am

João Gomes wrote:They did exactly the same "touting" when version 11 came out.

And it seems like v12 is in large part a response to the feedback that they got with the NLE functionality in v11... I suspect that, being a color grading suite primarily, they just didn't account for how important audio was for an NLE.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 12:09 pm

João Gomes wrote:
Rohit Gupta wrote:
Back to Premiere...

Thanks Rohit. That's what i've been doing but it's not practical at all. These are fast turnaround gigs and I just don't have the time to get all the footage in Resolve, sync audio, export as a single clip and chop it off again in Premiere or After Effects (where I animate some lower thirds stuff). It's sad but for these kinds of jobs i'll stick to Premiere with Magic Bullet...

What are you missing in Resolve to have to go back?
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

João Gomes

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:
João Gomes wrote:
Rohit Gupta wrote:[quote="João Gomes"]I´m getting the same problem... this is ridiculous... No matter how hard i try i still can´t rely on Resolve for anything other than colorgrading. Why does Blackmagic advertises it as an NLE is beyond me.
Back to Premiere...

What are you missing in Resolve to have to go back?[/quote]

Just animating stuff and using transparency. I'm familiar with after effects/premiere, it's very easy because of dynamic link. Bringing in textures and animating them seems more complex to do in Resolve.

Cameraman/Editor

PalmerWoodrow

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:48 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:When rendering make sure you select the Single Clip option and it will render the timeline audio.

I just encountered this same defect in the Version 15 beta. Yes, version 15.

May I ask why this is perceived as acceptable? What is the expected workaround for this? My scenario is exactly the same as the OP's: I was hired to shoot B-roll and some interviews, and thus I recorded good (second-system) sound for some things. The client will do the edit.

I've organized the footage into a few timelines by topic, CCed and trimmed the clips, and synced the good audio & deleted the camera audio. Then I rendered each timeline as individual clips, named to reflect the topic covered by the timeline. Of course, this was a massive waste of time and might have been a professionally embarrassing fiasco because of totally wrong audio being rendered.

So you're still telling us we have to render out every timeline as one massive clip, and then bring it into a competent program and scrub through and re-divide it into the constituent clips? I sure as hell wouldn't dump it on a client in this state.

I can't believe that someone in the business of writing this kind of software actually thinks this use case is viable or professional. It is indefensible on logical grounds: If "individual clips" mode ignores our audio decisions, why are ANY of our decisions honored? Why are the clips rendered out trimmed then? If I take a clip and make 12 cuts in it and render it out, I'll get 12 files. That totally breaks the integrity of any "round-trip" back to the source file (not to mention that you can make the filenames totally different), so why is audio rejected?

The result here is grossly incorrect. I could have five tracks of audio along with the camera audio, and then render out my timeline... only to find that most of the audio has just magically disappeared! WTF, why was I even allowed to add them then? Why do these audio tracks show up or play on the Deliver page? Not only shouldn't they play, but they should be Xed out in brilliant yellow with a warning. And a Web link to purchase Premiere...
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Sam Steti

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 am

Yes, you should maybe purchase Premiere...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 11:50 am

Rent, not purchase. And have your work taken hostage by Adobe…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Lance Braud

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 pm

PalmerWoodrow wrote:What is the expected workaround for this?

If you want your client to have individual clips with new audio and overlays the clips need to be put in separate timelines. It doesn't take long to right-click and make New Timeline from selected clips. In the Deliver page, you can quickly add different timelines to the render queue by selecting it at the top center of the screen.
Resolve Studio v16.2.3 | Nvidia GTX 1070 | v451.48 | Win10 x64 | AMD TR-1950X 16G RAM

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 11:25 am

If the target system understands Resolve's EDLs, you should be able to render the whole timeline and have it automatically cut down in the other NLE's timeline.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Tom Early

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Lance Braud wrote:
PalmerWoodrow wrote:What is the expected workaround for this?

If you want your client to have individual clips with new audio and overlays the clips need to be put in separate timelines. It doesn't take long to right-click and make New Timeline from selected clips. In the Deliver page, you can quickly add different timelines to the render queue by selecting it at the top center of the screen.

the OP's problem has been solved in another thread:

Rohit Gupta wrote:The Render Individual Clips modes has two use cases as the product is designed for:

1. Round-trip back to a 3rd party NLE as an XML or AAF round-trip
2. Dailies rendering with sync'ed audio

Since you are working on #2, the audio sync needs to be done in the Media Pool. If you are attempting to sync in the timeline as a creative edit process, that's not going to work. There are many reasons for this, but one of them is the individual source clip mode render allows for rendering with handles. How do you want us to generate handles for the audio section? Also, the video is rendered 1:1 at the source frame-rate, what happens when you do a speed-change in the timeline to the video, the audio is not going to be rendered correctly if we use 1:1 from the timeline.

This is described in the manual, which everyone could do with reading.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Return to DaVinci Resolve