List of approved CFast Cards

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Here is the list of CFast cards that have cleared our approval for the URSA Cameras.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Tony Hudson

Re: List of approved CFast Cards

PostSat Dec 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Tony, where did you find the "Wise" card to test it? I've searched everywhere online and can find only a couple of mentions on a Korean and Taiwan website, but nowhere to actually purchase.
https://vimeo.com/fxvet

rick.lang

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Tony Hudson, I suspect these cards are like Lexar's CFast 2 cards, tested by BMD before they are released to retail. So the wait for an alternative to the Sandisk cards continues.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Tony Hudson

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks for the perspective, Rick.

It's funny, I've never bought a camera before for which media was simply unavailable! Luckily my immediate need has gone away, so I'll just join the wait.

Perhaps Blackmagic should consider creating their own Cfast media....

t
https://vimeo.com/fxvet

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Tony Hudson wrote:... Perhaps Blackmagic should consider creating their own Cfast media....

t

Other companies have offered proprietary media and I think it's fair to say that increases cost. BMD has tried to go with industry standards or create their own solution within the framework of industry standards. They could contract to a foundry to build CFast 2 cards to their own specifications, but in a way that is happening in that some of the industry is adapting their products to ensure it is compatible with this new generation of digital film cameras, examples are currently Digistor, Lexar, and now Wise. It's going to make the price of media fall. The LEXAR 3400x 256GB card is the same price now as the Sandisk 120GB card earlier this year.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Ricky Gil

PostWed Dec 31, 2014 10:45 pm

How about a list of approved cfast 1.0 cards that are good for 1080...80fps???
I'm currently using my shuttle2 to record externally because I haven't needed to shoot in 4k...so, I've been able to forgo paying the current ridiculously overpriced cfast2.0 cards. That being said, I would much rather be recording internally for the many obvious reasons.
I've read a few post regarding the atomos cards working fine, curious has anyone experimented with other brands???

Pedro Paiva

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm getting dropped frames with the 60GB Sandisk Cards when shooting 4k 60fps ProRes HQ
Funny enough this is the only card currently available in the market and it doesn't work as it should.

Walter Kolie

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Ricky Gil wrote:How about a list of approved cfast 1.0 cards that are good for 1080...80fps???
I'm currently using my shuttle2 to record externally because I haven't needed to shoot in 4k...so, I've been able to forgo paying the current ridiculously overpriced cfast2.0 cards. That being said, I would much rather be recording internally for the many obvious reasons.
I've read a few post regarding the atomos cards working fine, curious has anyone experimented with other brands???

Atomos card not working properly!!!
On HD ProRes 422 25 fps I have drop frames and audio loses sync.
Sometimes takes 40-50 minutes with no problems, while sometimes it starts droping frames after one minute.
I have last firmware 2.0.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Important message from Kristian Lam concerning Sandisk CFast 2.0 cards:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32234

Paul Stone

PostFri Feb 06, 2015 3:14 am

Ricky Gil wrote:How about a list of approved cfast 1.0 cards that are good for 1080...80fps???

I don't imagine BM will approve any CFast 1.0 cards to be honest. From what I've read you can just about scrape by if you're shooting 1080p at low framerates under certain, specific conditions (i.e. right version of prores, right card formatting, etc), but it seems too patchy to be encouraged.

Sean Simpson

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 9:31 am

What about the Wise 64GB cards? Not on any of the lists. Anyone have experience with those wise cards? Also the list needs updating for raw 3:1 codec and 80fps compatible cards.

Aldis Garsvo

PostFri Feb 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Using a 120GB SanDisk card shooting at 29.97 FPS HD, it suddenly crashed with about 60GB of data. The camera's firmware was version 2.0. I contacted SanDisk and the engineer a very helpful nice guy I may add, recommended to set the camera's firmware back to 1.9.10 when using the 120GB card.

The card has been returned to SanDisk for failure analysis. Fortunately, Sandisk will also try to recover the lost data. Needless to say, wonderful customer support by SanDisk.

I have a week-long production next week using both a 120GB and the new 128GB card. We'll see...

Aldis Garsvo
Mountain Post

Maurizio Zappettini

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 2:12 am

Does anybody know if the newest Sandisk CFast 2.0 SDCFSP-128G-A46A has fixed the issue present in the previous batch? Thanks.

Johnny Harris

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 pm

Has anybody experienced a crash WITH a card from the approved list when pushing the Ursa?

Dan Michael Hodges

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Two shoot days officially in the can with the new Sandisk 128GB with no problems Nothing fancy as far as sustained high frame rates but it's done it's job being filled up a few times.
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Johnny Harris

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 8:51 pm

Dan Michael Hodges wrote:Two shoot days officially in the can with the new Sandisk 128GB with no problems Nothing fancy as far as sustained high frame rates but it's done it's job being filled up a few times.

Mind telling me if you shot raw and the resolution?

Thanks

Dan Michael Hodges

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 11:53 am

Johnny Harris wrote:

Thanks

Nothing fancy. 4k prores @24p. Still, I thought it was worth noting given the lack of information (and my obvious relief). Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any additional testing for atleast another week. Hopefully by then BM and others will have come to a conclusion.
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Johnny Harris

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Dan Michael Hodges wrote:
Johnny Harris wrote:

Thanks

Nothing fancy. 4k prores @24p. Still, I thought it was worth noting given the lack of information (and my obvious relief). Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any additional testing for atleast another week. Hopefully by then BM and others will have come to a conclusion.

Thanks! Anything and everything helps ;) since these cards are pretty expensive and a decision on which to get is not to be taken lightly.

Jacob Pattinson

PostMon May 04, 2015 12:38 pm

has the sandisk dying in camera issue been solved ?

DavidDamen

PostFri May 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Just wanted to leave some info about a card reader.

Do not use the Lexar CR1 USB 3.0 reader. We averaged a very unstable speed of 25mbs/sec. We looked up a lot of info on it. It seems others were having similar issues.

Cheers

Pavel Lavrov

PostFri May 22, 2015 9:37 pm

DavidDamen wrote:Just wanted to leave some info about a card reader.

Do not use the Lexar CR1 USB 3.0 reader. We averaged a very unstable speed of 25mbs/sec. We looked up a lot of info on it. It seems others were having similar issues.

Cheers

The best and fastest reader would be direct sata interface in PC.... With somy DIY it would be possible.

Sent - Tapatalk
Pavel L

rick.lang

PostSun May 24, 2015 3:48 pm

DavidDamen wrote:Just wanted to leave some info about a card reader.

Cheers

I think Lexar realizes their CR1 product may not be up to snuff. They have a new product, CR2, that supports Thunderbolt2 and USB 3 "coming soon" according to B&H Photo. Costs more, but this could be the fastest reader available when it launches, and when it comes to workflow around these precious CFast 2 card, time is money.

Lexar also offers a HR2 hub (TB2/USB3) which has four slots for you to mix and match CR2s and DD512 flash storage units (store up to 512GB each, USB3). So your DIT could grab your CFast 2 cards, insert it into a CR2 (standalone or use a slot of the hub) and quickly offload via the HR2 hub to 2TB of portable storage for later transfer to your edit suite. I'm not a salesman, just I like these Lexar options.

http://www.lexar.com/workflow?category=203

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Chad Capeland

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Has anyone used these readers?

Easy to mount 2 of them to a 4U or 5U ingest station, each gets it's own USB 3.0 connection, so 5Gb/s per card. That Lexar hub looks interesting, but I'd rather see the CR2's rackmounted 4 wide in a 1U face. I know a lot of users will want a desktop dock, but for DIT racks, it's not ideal.

I'm a bit surprised that SATA3 docks for CFast aren't around. I figured they would be perfect matches.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 7:17 am

The following CFast 2.0 cards were added to the URSA supported list:

Transcend 128GB CFX650
Transcend 256GB CFX650

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jun 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Sean Simpson wrote:What about the Wise 64GB cards? Not on any of the lists. Anyone have experience with those wise cards? Also the list needs updating for raw 3:1 codec and 80fps compatible cards.

I have the same question about the Lexar 64GB cards. I know the 32GB ones have much lower write speed, but the 64GB cards are listed by Lexar as having the same write speeds as the 128GB and 256GB cards.

EDIT: The list has been updated, the 64GB cards are supported.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Tristan Pemberton

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 12:26 am

Is the list of approved CFast 2.0 cards also approved for URSA Mini 4.6k? Or will a new list be created for that?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:Is the list of approved CFast 2.0 cards also approved for URSA Mini 4.6k? Or will a new list be created for that?

If there is a different list put together for the 4.6k cameras, we will have it updated on the support page with a link to that list posted on the forums as well.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

John Simatos

PostSat Sep 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Just wanted to be certain before I buy one, has anyone used the Wise 256GB 2.0 Cfast cards and had any luck?

Demetrius Spencer

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 3:13 pm

I received my C-Box system that allows me to use my SSD Drives with the C-Fast cards slots on the URSA Mini. The unit is extremely sturdy. I placed the SSD Drives in the unit and tried to shake them out, but the wouldn't bulge... I'm using two 1TB hard drives from digistor.

eli Herman

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Are the Delkin CFast 2.0 cards qualified to work with the Ursa cameras?
Adorama is offering the 128GB on sale for $250.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 8:50 pm

eli Herman wrote:Are the Delkin CFast 2.0 cards qualified to work with the Ursa cameras?
Adorama is offering the 128GB on sale for $250.

Those are not on the list of approved CFast Cards we've currently tested.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Scott Stacy

Re: Lexar 3600x 256 & 128 GB CFast

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Wondering if BMD will be approving the new Lexar 3600x 256 CFast card for the Ursa Mini 4.6k. Lexar shows these cards as being compatible on their website: http://www.lexar.com/cardcompatibility

This Lexar website information could be confusing for those of us who have purchased the Mini and poised to buy the fastest CFast cards if they have not acquired a formal BMD stamp of approval.

These cards are now available at B&H.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Although not quite the same as being on the BMD CFast 2 certified list, the Lexar compatibility list has proven accurate with regard to the new 3600x card. Someone on BMCuser acquired the card after having dropped frames on the 3400x card and the 3600x card performed flawlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Scott Stacy

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 1:36 pm

rick.lang wrote:Although not quite the same as being on the BMD CFast 2 certified list, the Lexar compatibility list has proven accurate with regard to the new 3600x card. Someone on BMCuser acquired the card after having dropped frames on the 3400x card and the 3600x card performed flawlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, Rick.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

LASHOOTER

PostWed Nov 18, 2015 7:14 am

I just saw a review of the C-box system and it seems like a very good option for even the highest frame rates with the URSA and URSA mini. At one time you could buy it for $325 on the kickstarter campaign, but it's now $500 on the website. Has anyone used the C-box for an actual production and if so...please post your results. Yes...it's another thing to mount on your camera, but non drop frames and non compressed media transfer rates pretty high it seems like a very good option.

Thoughts?

John Simatos

PostFri Nov 27, 2015 7:20 am

LASHOOTER wrote:I just saw a review of the C-box system and it seems like a very good option for even the highest frame rates with the URSA and URSA mini. At one time you could buy it for $325 on the kickstarter campaign, but it's now $500 on the website. Has anyone used the C-box for an actual production and if so...please post your results. Yes...it's another thing to mount on your camera, but non drop frames and non compressed media transfer rates pretty high it seems like a very good option.

Thoughts?

I've heard nothing but amazing results, recently ordered one. Waiting for it to arrive. Willing to share my thoughts when it comes - as well as a comparison to my wise cfast cards which I've had no problem with so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis D. Brown

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 10:19 pm

Does anyone know of a CFast card that will record 80fps RAW on the Ursa V1 sensor?
I can't seem to find that information anywhere.
Thanks!

Jacob Pattinson

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 6:22 am

I bought Sandisk cfast cards when they 'were' approved and have had them replaced twice already.. is there gonna be a solution ?

i bought one lexar card that works fine but i dont want the money i spent on sandisk to go down the toilet

James Bradley

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 10:38 pm

[quote="rick.lang"]Although not quite the same as being on the BMD CFast 2 certified list, the Lexar compatibility list has proven accurate with regard to the new 3600x card. Someone on BMCuser acquired the card after having dropped frames on the 3400x card and the 3600x card performed flawlessly.

Thank god for the 3600x working flawlessly for that user. I assumed it was okay because I saw it was compatible on the Lexar site, but I had not seen it on the BMD forums. Hopefully thats the case!

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Mar 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Is there are list anywhere yet that explains what cards are needed to shoot UHD 60 frames in ProRes444? All the BMD support info and manuals say is "shooting up to 30 frames per second 4K raw". Looking at the data rates, it appears that UHD ProRes444 in 60 frames is more data. So which cfast card will support it?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Ivon Visalli

PostSun Mar 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Can anyone at BMD comment on the new Lexar 3600x CFast cards? Did they fail testing or have they not started/completed testing?

Scott Stacy

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Yes ... it would be very helpful to know about the Lexar 3600x cards. The Lexar post indicate that it is approved. I would like to know for sure before I open up the two Lexar 3600x cards I ordered a while back. My 4.6k arrives tomorrow, and it would be nice to take it out for a spin. The Lexar 256GB 3400x have been discontinued. Some are available from China ...but.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Matt White

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 5:06 pm

On 4.6k EF I have been successfully recording to the 128gb 3600x cards using raw 3:1 and prores HQ. No issues to report yet.

Scott Stacy

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Matt White wrote:On 4.6k EF I have been successfully recording to the 128gb 3600x cards using raw 3:1 and prores HQ. No issues to report yet.

Thanks for chiming in, Matt.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Matt White

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Sure. I can test various settings if that is helpful. Let me know.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 1:15 am

The Lexar 3600x are being tested right now.

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 am

Matt White wrote:Sure. I can test various settings if that is helpful. Let me know.

I'm curious about whether the x3600 can handle these modes:

4.6K raw 60fps (dual card recording)
4.6K raw 3:1 60fps (single card)
3840x2160 ProRes444XQ 40fps
2K raw (windowed) 120fps

I worry about spending all that cash on the x3600s to have them still drop frames.

With the pocket camera I laid out for the priciest legit Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards on BM's official supported list and was burned when they still dropped frames in ProResHQ for nearly the first full year of use until BM finally ironed out the issue in the camera firmware. I realize that was a different camera, but you never know until you test.

Many thanks!
www.cinedocs.com

Scott Stacy

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:The Lexar 3600x are being tested right now.

GREAT!!! Thanks!!
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Matt White

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 3:59 am

I did some tests.

Lexar 3600x 128gb cards formatted HFS+

Dual cards:

* [see below] RAW, 4.6k, 60fps = dropped frames. Kept recording on to the second card, and the first card was not corrupted.

RAW 3:1, 4.6k, 60fps = no dropped frames. Kept recording on to the second card, and the first card was not corrupted.

Single card:

RAW, 4.6k, 60fps = dropped frames

RAW 3:1, 4.6k, 60fps = no dropped frames.

3840x2160 ProRes444XQ does not provide option for 40fps, only 30fps and lower

2K raw (windowed): I set the sensor rate to 120fps and there were no dropped frames.

I hope that helps.

:)

EDIT:

I did more testing. In dual card mode, there are no dropped frames. I am not sure why I saw them initially. Hopefully further tests will determine.
Last edited by Matt White on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 4:44 am

Matt White wrote:I did some tests.

Lexar 3600x 128gb cards formatted HFS+

Dual cards:

RAW, 4.6k, 60fps = dropped frames. Kept recording on to the second card, and the first card was not corrupted.

RAW 3:1, 4.6k, 60fps = no dropped frames. Kept recording on to the second card, and the first card was not corrupted.

Single card:

RAW, 4.6k, 60fps = dropped frames

RAW 3:1, 4.6k, 60fps = no dropped frames.

3840x2160 ProRes444XQ does not provide option for 40fps, only 30fps and lower

2K raw (windowed): I set the sensor rate to 120fps and there were no dropped frames.

I hope that helps.

:)

Very helpful! Thank you so much!

Someone else posted in a different thread their experience with the 3400x Lexar cards and got similar results:

jasonparker wrote:Yeah the 3400x can't handle the data rate required for 60fps uncompressed raw. 3:1 and 4:1 work fine with these cards though.

from thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45765

The 3600x cost a high premium over the 3400x available on eBay, but it seems there's no difference in performance for Ursa Mini 4.6k so I might as well go with the 3400x.
www.cinedocs.com
Next

Return to Cinematography