Resolve minimum memory requirements

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matt Pritchard

Resolve minimum memory requirements

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 pm

Resolve 11 had a minimum of 8GB RAM required to run (current pc has 8GB). I've been editing and grading HD projects on the platform with few problems, but the Beta version of Resolve 12 hangs on launch and then quits. The task manager shows that 95% of my memory is being used during launch, so I am wondering if the minimum has jumped to 16GB. The configuration guide only seems to mention RAM requirements in passing in the section on windows laptops, and no where else. I am running Windows 7 (others here are running on windows 7 without any problems) so I am wondering if the issue is my low memory, operating system, or a combination of the two. My motherboard also has Thunderbolt connectivity which I cannot disable in the bios. Anyone having a similar problem or a possible solution? I'll be throwing more RAM into the box soon, but I'd prefer to use this program sooner rather than later.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve minimum memory requirements

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 pm

What type of CPU and graphics do you have?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Matt Pritchard

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 10:37 pm

I have a core i5 (cannot remember if it is sandy bridge or ivybridge at the moment) running around 3GHz, and a R9 290 with 4GB GDDR5. CPU usage was very low when starting resolve.

Matt Pritchard

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 10:39 pm

CPU is a quad core.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 12:32 am

8GB of RAM is enough.

Do you have dual displays connected to the AMD card? If so, remove one, and see if that helps.

There also may be issues with some AMD cards and Windows 7 with Resolve 12. This is being investigated. Keep an eye out for beta 2.

Or, use the recommended Windows 8.1.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Matt Pritchard

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Beta 2 has solved this issue. It's working without a hitch.

Return to DaVinci Resolve