Resolve DCI 4K Monitoring Infrastructure

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alain Bach

Resolve DCI 4K Monitoring Infrastructure

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi all,

A client of ours currently has Resolve 11 running on a Supermicro based Windows 8 system.
The main purpose of this suite is for grading HD / 2K material and for monitoring they are using a Sony PVM-A250 and Blackmagic Ultrascopes. The suite is also used for making DCPs.
The suite has been installed in a small theatre with the intention of installing a DCI projector.
We plan to upgrade the suite to support DCI 4K material. The client has ordered the new Sony BVM-X300 master monitor and a Christie CP2220 DCI projector. The BVM-X300 has 4 X 3G HD-SDI inputs and loop through outputs. The Christie CP2220 has 2 X 3G-SDI inputs and with a future 4K light engine upgrade will have an additional 2 X 3G-SDI inputs. The Blackmagic Ultrascope does not currently support DCI 4K so we will need to down convert to HD to use this or install DCI 4K scopes.

I have the following questions :

What Blackmagic DeckLink card is best used for this setup? We also need to feed 7.2 surround sound to a consumer amp that is driving the speakers in the theatre. Can the DeckLink cards output this? If not, can we run an audio I/O card that will work with Resolve?

What DCI 4K SDI distribution amplifier can we use to get the signal to all three places simultaneously to avoid frame latency? Unfortunately the Chrisite CP2220 does not have a loop through output.

Can you recommend a standards converter that will allow us change DCI 4K over 4 X 3G-SDI to DCI 2K over 2 X 3G-SDI? We can then feed the Christe CP2220 with this until the client goes ahead with the 4K light engine upgrade.

Thanks in advance,
Alain @ A2Z

Alain Bach

Re: Resolve DCI 4K Monitoring Infrastructure

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 3:35 am

BUMP

davidanderson

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 4:22 am

For part of the solution, I would look at the Deckling 4K Studio, and the Mini Converter SDI Multiplex 4K, it can handle the following conversions:

- Single Link 6G/3G to Dual Link 3G/1.5G
- Single Link 6G to Quad Link 1.5G
- Dual Link 3G/1.5G to Single Link 6G/3G
- Dual Link 3G to Quad Link 1.5G
- Quad Link 1.5G to Single Link 6G
- Quad Link 1.5G to Dual Link 3G

I don't know about the audio.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 4:32 am

I would start with
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G - Quad SDI - this gives you 4x3G out for the receiving devices without 6G or 12G.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Alain Bach

PostTue Aug 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I would start with
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G - Quad SDI - this gives you 4x3G out for the receiving devices without 6G or 12G.

Thanks for that Peter,

Any thoughts on a DA to get the signal to three places (Monitor, Projector and Scopes) at the same time?
Also are we able to use the HDMI output on the DeckLink card simultaneously to output the 7.2 audio?
Or can you recommend another I/O card that will talk to Resolve to output the audio?

Return to DaVinci Resolve