Frequently Asked Questions - Updated 21st Jan 2017

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 9/4/14)

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 4:11 am

To the best of my knowledge, the info in item #14 is correct:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19289

==============
"[Despite BMD's documentation, apparently the BMPC-4K camera's "live interlaced output" feature does not work -- period; hopefully it'll be fixed via a firmware update ASAP.] The BMPC-4K (and BMCC) can output interlaced video (25p and 30p in 50i and 60i streams) as a "live" SDI video output (menu setting), but not record interlaced to its internal SSD. BMPC-4K SSD recordings are always strictly progressive. Refer to the user manual page 32 "Connecting to Video Switchers". The BMPC-4K tech specs page on the BMD website is confusing. In the user manual on page 11 they spell it out more clearly: "1920 x 1080i50 output", and, "1920 x 1080i59.94 output". If you wish you can use popular NLE or other software slow BMPC-4K 30p footage down to 24p or 25p for a nice-looking, but subtle slo-mo effect."
==============

If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

-

rick.lang

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 9/4/14)

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 4:14 pm

WillemMollema wrote:I have received my blackmagic 4k production camera 2 weeks ago. I must say i like it but i cant find the HD mode on my bmpc with the ability to shoot 50 fps or 59.94 fps in Full HD. The only two options in record mode are prores 4k and prores HD. There both going max to 30 fps on my display. What am i doing wrong cause the offical website of blackmagic says at the Tech Specs of the 4k BMPC that it can shoot in 50/59.94 fps. Please help me with this.

Kind Regards,

Willem Mollema

See page 32 of the current manual:

Connecting to Video Switchers
The SDI output allows you to use your camera as a television production camera. You can connect the SDI output directly to production switchers for studio work or to ATEM Camera Converters to convert your signal to optical so you can send it hundreds of meters to a broadcast truck for live production on location.
If you have selected to record in 25 or 29.97 fps and set the SDI overlays to Off, the SDI output will be set to 1080i50 and 1080i59.94 respectively. This allows you to work with most switchers, which only support interlaced high definition formats.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

januce

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 26/4/14)

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 6:53 pm

I do not know, maybe someone here already published such information. There is a way to determine how much video just recorded on the card. To do this, press the play button to play the last clip. Then stop playback and press the button to the next clip, and then displays the total duration of the video. Checked when operating in RAW mode. Firmware 1.6.1.

rainesdown

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 01/05/14)

PostMon May 05, 2014 11:23 am

Now that SanDisk has created an SD card that can handle write speeds of 250MBs (SanDisk Extreme PRO® SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-II Memory Card), is it possible for the BMPCC to increase its frames per second rate, for at least ProRes, to 120fps?

Joshua Smith

PostMon May 05, 2014 5:20 pm

rainesdown wrote:Now that SanDisk has created an SD card that can handle write speeds of 250MBs (SanDisk Extreme PRO® SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-II Memory Card), is it possible for the BMPCC to increase its frames per second rate, for at least ProRes, to 120fps?

No, those cards are not supported. http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20455&p=126655&hilit=sandisk+extreme+pro#p126632
Joshua Smith
Copasetic Films
copaseticfilms.com

Dave Dowling

PostWed May 07, 2014 6:49 am

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, but I noticed blackmagic's "Desktop Video Firmware Updater" is always running on my mac's activity monitor.

How do I kill this operation?
@isitmodern
www.isitmodern.com
for BMPCC modern dance stuffs!

adamroberts

Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 01/05/14)

PostWed May 07, 2014 7:39 am

rainesdown wrote:Now that SanDisk has created an SD card that can handle write speeds of 250MBs (SanDisk Extreme PRO[REGISTERED SIGN] SDHC[TRADE MARK SIGN]/SDXC[TRADE MARK SIGN] UHS-II Memory Card), is it possible for the BMPCC to increase its frames per second rate, for at least ProRes, to 120fps?

The cameras frame rates are not limited by the write speed of the cards. It's a culmination hardware limitations. To build the camera at such a low price point many compromises have had to be made. The sensor needs more cooling to shoot higher frame rates and the processor needs more bandwidth (which also generates more heat).

It's not simply a write speed of the card. This has been discussed at length. We will probably never see higher frame rates in any of the current cameras.

Samjack

PostWed May 07, 2014 9:03 pm

adamroberts wrote:
rainesdown wrote:Now that SanDisk has created an SD card that can handle write speeds of 250MBs (SanDisk Extreme PRO[REGISTERED SIGN] SDHC[TRADE MARK SIGN]/SDXC[TRADE MARK SIGN] UHS-II Memory Card), is it possible for the BMPCC to increase its frames per second rate, for at least ProRes, to 120fps?

The cameras frame rates are not limited by the write speed of the cards. It's a culmination hardware limitations. To build the camera at such a low price point many compromises have had to be made. The sensor needs more cooling to shoot higher frame rates and the processor needs more bandwidth (which also generates more heat).

It's not simply a write speed of the card. This has been discussed at length. We will probably never see higher frame rates in any of the current cameras.

Actually the existing cameras can do more than 30fps. JB even mention in the past that as high as up to but no more than 50fps could be possible but as to date we've not seen it happen.
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/blackmagic-cinema-camera-an-update/
Given the sluggish nature and broken promises of firmware updates the issue may not be because of hardware limitation but administrative ineffectiveness from the manufacturer to improve existing cameras.

As for overheating if the BMPC 4k can do 30fps with a global shutter it can handle 60fps on a BMCC CMOS sensor.

Samjack

PostThu May 08, 2014 5:47 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:
Samjack wrote:As for overheating if the BMPC 4k can do 30fps with a global shutter it can handle 60fps on a BMCC CMOS sensor.

You are certain of this are you? It might be a good idea to research your topic better because the two cameras do not even use the same sensor. You comparison is pointless.

Yes I am. Your refute is pointless.
Global Shutter needed more power and more overheating demanding more work from the cooling fan and reduces battery life. The BMCC battery life is 3-4 times longer then the BMPC 4k. If you don't believe in science at least do your maths.

Theodore Prentice

PostThu May 08, 2014 6:32 pm

adamroberts wrote:This has been discussed at length. We will probably never see higher frame rates in any of the current cameras.

same was said (at length) about quite a few of the "announced" updates in the soon to be released BMCC firmware...

Samjack

PostFri May 09, 2014 5:46 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:Oh I believe in science, trouble is your statement is completely devoid of any science. And what maths do you suggest I do? You gave no data.

Interestingly, the BMD specs for the cameras show an identical battery life of 90 minutes.

And if you are going to quote John Brawley, perhaps get it right. He said "The camera will never do more than 50fps. It might be able to do more than 30 at some point in the future." That's might be able to do more than 30, not will.

There were a number of things said back in June of 2012 which did not materialise either.

You neither understand science or even care to look at fact.
The BMPC 4K battery life averages 24mins. You probably never used one to find out and now you just made a fool of yourself in front of people who used it and sniggering at you :lol:

As for JB comments I qouted it suggest the camera can run upto 50fps but not in the initial iteration of the firmware. He said "might" because he doesnt work for BMD and don't make decision if or might they would release 50fps so no point digging at it.

Theodore Prentice

PostFri May 09, 2014 4:47 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote: I do not own a BMPC4K, but I don't have to

its this sentement that bewilders the heck out of me.
It can only exisist in the realm of 0's and 1's.

Its one thing to comment on an automobile in general, but how do you tell a Porsche 911 owner the ins ans outs of that car when you yourself to do not own/use/service/etc .. one of them?

Theodore Prentice

PostFri May 09, 2014 10:58 pm

your knowledge of specs mean very little when you spit(antagonize) them at the very people who own and use the item in question.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 09, 2014 11:12 pm

Keep this on topic. This is for FAQ, not for bickering back and forth.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

John Greene

PostSat May 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Keep this on topic. This is for FAQ, not for bickering back and forth.

Where can i find old versions of Blackmagic Camera Utility Windows? it's my understanding BMPC 4K day one FW for some people seem to show Less FPN but after the updating to new FW FPN start showing
Junior

Mac Jaeger

PostSat May 10, 2014 1:39 pm

tifose wrote:Where can i find old versions of Blackmagic Camera Utility Windows? it's my understanding BMPC 4K day one FW for some people seem to show Less FPN but after the updating to new FW FPN start showing

On BMD homepage go to "Support", then select the appropriate Computer Type, Product Series (Cameras) and your Camera Model, click "search". You'll find the latest Firmware / Utility download there, and next to it there is a link to "Archived drivers" - that's where you find all iterations of the Camera Utility.

rainesdown

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Are there any wireless field monitors for the BMPCC? Can an android or iPad be used?

Margus Voll

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 6:54 am

Teranex makes something like that but expensive.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Lior Bar-El

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 24/06/14)

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 11:19 am

so I heard now the 4k camera when its shot on raw is TRUE 4k is this TRUE? also in the 4k camera how much raw can I record on 480 gb drive?

Christopher Cox

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 5:03 am

What does "Improved support for Sigma MFT lenses" (BMPCC Firmware 1.8) add up to?
I wish they elaborated a little there.
Wielding a Pocket Cinema Camera from a wheelchair.

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Vortex677 wrote:so I heard now the 4k camera when its shot on raw is TRUE 4k is this TRUE? also in the 4k camera how much raw can I record on 480 gb drive?

By true 4K, I assume you mean 4K DCI, 4096x2160. The raw on the BMPC4K records 4000x2160 with firmware release 1.8. Tantalizingly close to using the full 4096 horizontal photosites on the sensor. How much you can record depends on the frame rate, but I'm calculating approximately 30 minutes raw at 30 fps assuming a compression factor of 1.5x like the BMPCC raw.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

John Clark

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 20/09/14)

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 10:08 pm

Perhaps this is an infrequently asked question... I just got my Pocket Cinema Camera, and am in the process of finding out my 'personal' exposure index, and would like to know, for the ProRes 'Film' aka 'log' representation, what is the value that an 18% (not to quibble on the exact percentage... or that the meter is not calibrated to that exact reflectance...) Grey Card, using a light meter, should produce when viewed in terms of % IRE?

I've found some threads on the topic for other cameras, some threads which seem to start out talking about 'how to calibrate', but haven't found a clear statement on what the relationship between the the log representation vs IRE.

One reference seemed to suggest 38% is what a log representation should yield for the 18% grey card.

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 3:24 am

John Brawley has previously stated (a long time ago... in a galaxy far, far away) the value is between 38 and 39%. The thread you found seems to support John's statement.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

John Clark wrote:and would like to know, for the ProRes 'Film' aka 'log' representation, what is the value that an 18% (not to quibble on the exact percentage... or that the meter is not calibrated to that exact reflectance...) Grey Card, using a light meter, should produce when viewed in terms of % IRE?

38.4%

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Vincenzo Stigliano

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 21/Nov/14

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 9:42 am

Hi,

I have a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k EF, I would to know how to resolve the crop problem. Could I mount a lens adapter MFT and then, buy a Speed Booster MFT for EF lens? I've extremely need to resolve it.

Mark Jamerson

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 21/Nov/14

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Vincenzo Stigliano wrote:Hi,

I have a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k EF, I would to know how to resolve the crop problem. Could I mount a lens adapter MFT and then, buy a Speed Booster MFT for EF lens? I've extremely need to resolve it.

You can't speed boost an EF mount
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Gjorgji Klincarov

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 24/Jan/15

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 2:17 pm

If I am not wrong, the BMPC 4K and the URSA have the same sensor. Can we expect soon a firmware update which includes 80fps in HD, 60fps in UHD, Prores 444 any many other things for the BMPC 4K camera?

Rakesh Malik

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 24/Jan/15

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Gjorgji Klincarov wrote:If I am not wrong, the BMPC 4K and the URSA have the same sensor. Can we expect soon a firmware update which includes 80fps in HD, 60fps in UHD, Prores 444 any many other things for the BMPC 4K camera?

Having the same sensor doesn't mean that they both have the same internal system bandwidth.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

JL Rocheron

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 11/July/1

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello, Still no date for the Ursa Blackmagic mini 4,6K ? The delay may happen but we thank you for Informed ;)
JL Rocheron
Film Director - Stunt Coordinator
www.onde2choc.com

Gordian Miller

Micro Cinema Camera

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 5:37 pm

We want to buy a Micro Cinema Camera, therefore we have asked our Dealer several time about the delivery. Today on the 5th august he says to us again, that there is no release date communicated by Black Magic.

In this thread I read: Release in July, now ist August and there is no delivery of the camera in sight.

Could You please communicate the effective delivery date of the Micro Cinema Camera.

Lee Gauthier

Re: Micro Cinema Camera

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Gordian Miller wrote:Could You please communicate the effective delivery date of the Micro Cinema Camera.

You must be new around here.

Since its very first camera, BMD has had trouble shipping new cameras on time. When they announced July availability, some on this board said, "which July?" :lol:

The delivery date will be posted on this forum when someone actually receives a camera.

Jason R. Johnston

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 8/Aug/15)

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Yeah, they'll inform you when there's something to inform. Quit asking.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Billy George

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 23/Aug/15

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 11:54 am

I cannot stop the recording on my Black magic pocket camera once it heats up after 15 minutes of shooting.
I click record and it starts recording but when you click again to stop, nothing happens and it keeps recording!
Does anyone has a solution to this problem?
Thank you.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 23/Aug/15

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Billy George wrote:I cannot stop the recording on my Black magic pocket camera once it heats up after 15 minutes of shooting.
I click record and it starts recording but when you click again to stop, nothing happens and it keeps recording! Does anyone has a solution to this problem? Thank you.

I don't know why your BMPCC is having the issue you describe (it's not a FAQ), but confirm you're using a tested & recommended SD card listed here:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/43083

Also, install (or reinstall) camera firmware version 2.1, the most current version specifically for use with the BMPCC:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... al-cameras

If the above info doesn't lead to a solution, contact BMD tech support for your region directly:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/contact/email
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/contact/phone

-

David Chapman

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 12/Sept/1

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Just checking the firmware update list and version 2.3 didn't include anything for the BMCC or BMPCC. Those updates are copies from 2.1.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Alexander Arndt

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Updated 21st Jan 2017

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 10:57 pm

is there any chance of knowing the runtime of my actuall BMCC as to find out how much hours of work it has done?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Might want to update the FAQ a bit as since then the Ursa Mini Pro came and also we are at Firmware 4.8
instead of the last update in the post >> 4.2 (21 December 2016).

I made a topic similair to this regarding to live broadcasting in the Live Production sub-forum.
Frequently Asked Questions - Live Production
:)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Joe Giambrone

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 pm

I have a FEATURE REQUEST:

Programmable focus points. The camera can lock focus with the touch screen, but it doesn't REMEMBER the distance, and instead hunts around every time to find the focus again. We should be able to lock in a couple of focus-pulling options and have the camera return to that point with the push of a button, or touchscreen option. This is a "CINE" camera right? You don't have your camera hunting around to focus in the cinema. This should be an easy software solution, since the camera can already do the hard lifting. It just needs to REMEMBER the data and recall it at the operator's touch.

Joe Giambrone

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Let me ADD to the previous post:

A Focus Pulling Mode for electronic lenses could easily incorporate a slider across the screen to move the focus point from minimum to infinity. It could also maybe look like a dial, or have a choice of either/or. Then you could adjust focus on the fly with feedback in feet/meters of the current focal point distance. Etc.

Suffeaked

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Every time Blackmagic Design releases a new camera, it gets better and better. You can do 120 frames per second by setting the sensor to HD resolution.

rezaayoubi

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:15 am

Is there a way to focus zoom on the Pocket Camera? please help me

rupeshoo7

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:59 am

There's one other card that a few clients had fractional achievement utilizing it for crude, that is the 128 GB 80 MB/s Sandisk genius card. Be that as it may, it appears it is scarcely quick enough, clients report dropped outlines following two or three minutes when recording crude at 24 fps, and it doesn't appear to be quick enough for 30 fps by any means.
[url=adobezii.online/]adobe[url]

adamsmitt

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - General (Updated: 26/4/14)

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 11:35 am

januce wrote:I do not know, maybe someone here already published such information. There is a way to determine how much video just recorded on the card. To do this, press the play button to play the last clip. Then stop playback and press the button to the next clip, and then displays the total duration of the video. Checked when operating in RAW mode. Firmware 1.6.1.

Wow, I haven't known that. I usually spent so many time to do that. Thanks a lot for sharing it.

ADRIAN-ZAHARIA

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Off topic....but I really hope that the next bmpcc will have a symetrical shape...the lens on the center and not this alongated dslr shape that even on the RS2 has some minor balancing issues. Please make the next one square or as much square as you like...'caz you can do it! Cheers!

Akstezi

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 11:58 am

Great summary Chris, thanks

drknsss

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks for this thread!

The thing is the more I scroll down the FM update to previous version and see what BM fixed the more scared I get hahahah!!

Michael Sandiford

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 pm

I have a forum request. Can we have a clean up of the stickies or create some topline sub categories for things like old firmware updates?

Zweistein

PostTue Jul 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Michael Sandiford wrote:I have a forum request. Can we have a clean up of the stickies or create some topline sub categories for things like old firmware updates?

+1
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel
Previous

Return to Cinematography