And On the Positive Side

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marc Wielage

And On the Positive Side

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 5:05 am

Just to offer a message without a complaint... I wanted to say how impressed I am with the loading speed of the latest version of Resolve 12 out this week. I think it's loading in almost half the time of Resolve 11, which is pretty amazing to me.

I'm really impressed with how quickly Blackmagic's programmers have jumped on fixes. There's always bugs with new software, and this is such a massive release, I'm amazed there haven't been too many catastrophic ones. (So far.) I've been on the program for a few weeks now and gotten two projects done, and I've been amazed and sometimes floored with how well it works. In particular, I just had an Avid conform come in where all the 4K material precisely followed all the retiming and repositions, which is a first for me. Not having to do all this work by hand has saved me an ocean of time. (In truth, only about 99% of the PTZRs came through -- 2 shots out of 250 failed, but I think that's a pretty good average.)

And the manual is extremely helpful. There's a ton of rewriting that I see in the new manual, and there's quite a few sections that I think are quite illuminating.

All the critics out there (especially me) should bear in mind that 95% of the other software developers out there -- Adobe, Apple, Avid, Microsoft, Sony, etc. -- charge a lotta money for updates and upgrades. Given that v12 is a free upgrade (Beta or no), I think it's a pretty amazing release. I have a lot of nitpicks, but there's a lot to like here. Don't overlook the positive things that are in this release.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dan Moran

Re: And On the Positive Side

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 8:08 am

Just wanted to add to this. I'm using r12 on commercials full time now and it is amazingly fast and stable.

Loving the new toolsets and creative options.

Congratulations to the BMD team!
Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
www.smoke-mirrors.com
www.danmorancolor.com

Paul Willis

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 5:49 pm

I concur. So many bugs have been fixed already and I'm finding it extremely responsive and stable, the new colour management feels like a natural part of my workflow already.

The standard version costs NOTHING and blows many of my paid for software packages out of the water.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Tony Hulten

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Kudos to BMD!

Its good they have this feedback forum though. Its going to make resolve even stronger than it already is, and looking forward to it :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve