Audio causing crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cliff Secord

Audio causing crash

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 4:15 am

Tried importing Apple Lossless (82 minute mix down - 800mb) into a finished sequence and just selecting it to import into the media pool caused a crash. It absolutely will have none of it. So I converted to AIFF. It'll import but after I drop it into the timeline, crash.

I have the latest everything software and driver-wise. Mac Pro tower 12 core, 64GB of RAM, dual GTX770's...I'm not pushing the memory even the slightest. Never have issues with audio.

I'm trying to use Resolve to do a final element assembly and output but it's proving difficult.

Marc Wielage

Re: Audio causing crash

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 6:42 am

I think it's a bad idea to use Apple Lossless for sound because of the inability to embed timecode. Without timecode, you can't absolutely 100% guarantee phase-accurate sync.

Who decided to use Apple Lossless in lieu of WAV files? I've seen a lot of unusual workflows in my time, but this is a first for me.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Cliff Secord

Re: Audio causing crash

PostSat Aug 08, 2015 3:59 pm

It's a manageable UL/DL file size temp track from my mixer who is on the other side of the world. Just wanted to tack it onto my export for the sake of viewing. Regardless, even converting to other file formats created a similar fiasco.

The workaround was to convert to AIFF then drop it in right before the export. Worked like a champ.

Return to DaVinci Resolve