Question about the H.264 Pro Recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Maynor

Question about the H.264 Pro Recorder

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Hello everyone.

I am interested in purchasing the Blackmagic H.264 Pro Recorder but I just needed to confirm one thing before I do. Does this device actually allow me to record videos in 1080p and in 60 FPS? The reason I ask is because I have a Wii U and I would like to record my gameplay in that resolution in 60 FPS.

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

Re: Question about the H.264 Pro Recorder

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Hello,

Yes, the H.264 Pro Recorder can capture at 1080p 60. This is listed under the HD Format Support. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... techspecs/

One thing to mention is that when using the H.264 Pro Recorder to capture, you will most likely not want to use this for gaming as it will not be ideal for you to play the game looking at your computer monitor. This will have a lag due to processing needed to draw a preview overlay, which is also not ideal for gaming.

What you might be able to do is use a HDMI splitter and run HDMI out to a TV for playing and HDMI out to the H.264 Pro Recorder. However, as we do not test with any HDMI splitters, there is no guarantee this may work either.

Most of our customers capturing gameplay are using Intensity Pro. However it does not support 1080p 60. It can capture at 1080i or 720p.
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Maynor

Re: Question about the H.264 Pro Recorder

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Thank you for the reply Albert. I do happen to own the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. I did hear that it may be possible for it to record in 1080p @ 60fps in the future. Right now I'm just waiting for that firmware update. I could possibly purchase an HDMI splitter for the H.264 recorder but like you said there's a chance it may not work. Has anyone here tested the H.264 recorded with an HDMI splitter and does it work?

Return to Getting Started