zooms zeiss vs fujinon

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Benjamin de Menil

zooms zeiss vs fujinon

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Has anyone compared the zeiss compact zoom series (15-30 / 28-80) to the fujinon cabro 19-90?

I've heard great things about both. The Fujinon is a bit larger and weighs less. For run and gun, it's useful to have the larger focal range in one lens. But I've seen people posting rave reviews about the beauty of zeiss cz optics. Zeiss cz is also supports full 35mm sensor size.

rick.lang

Re: zooms zeiss vs fujinon

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Fujinon 19-90mm Cabrio $40,000 is a larger lens, but you only need to carry one lens unless you want to pair it with the 14-35mm Cabrio $42,000. The single Cabrio is less money than three CZ.2, $64,000, but if you add the second Cabrio, then Fujinon costs more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Rick, you only need two Zeiss CZ to cover the range up to 80mm. A slightly used Zeiss ZF goes for $14,000 to 20,000. I like the shorter zooms, when you get a long zoom like the Fujion, hanging off the front, it makes the camera a little unwieldy, and front heavy with the extra leverage.

Also, I have found, very rarely do you go from a super wide to a very long shot in the same take, or shooting situation. In sports coverage, you stay with a to a normal-long zoom. Run and gun and event live coverage, or documentaries you usually want a wide to head and shoulders short shot, with a wide to normal zoom.

For what I shoot, I would prefer a short range mid zoom, say in the 20-60mm range for a S35 format. Non-parfocal zooms are out for me, got bit by one once. I have a Panny/Leica 14-50 for my AF100, a nice range in MFT for what I shoot, great optics, but the bloody thing is Not parfocal and has a major breathing issue. I am used to zooming in, pulling focus, and zooming back on cameras that do not have a pick to focus feature (which is faster to use).
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 4:53 am

So for the lenses in question, Denny, would you go with the Zeiss CZ.2 28-80mm? Only $20,000 and probably a very good lens.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 5:27 am

A 24-70mm, would be ideal, but, yes, a 28-80mm would work for the live lectures/presentations that I shoot. But then, even at $14K, it is a little steep for my limited budget productions. So I guess I will stick with my Pocket cam, and my Angenieux 17.5-70mm Cine zoom lens, that only cost me $900. But... A Ursa Mini would be nice!
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm

On the Pocket that Angie should be really nice, I own the 20-80mm. It's mild softness wide open helps to reduce moiré too.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 4:39 pm

It is, as you noted. I can open up to soften a image, and stop down 2 stops to sharpen it up nicely. It pairs nicely with my 12mm S16 Super Speed, and both are PL mount. (edited to correct typos)
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

What if you could only have one lens: The Zeiss 28-80 or Fujinon 19-90?

The Fujinon is an inch longer, and almost an inc fatter (not sure if this includes the servo), but weight .7 lbs less without the servo. The fujinon also comes with a servo...

There's a lot to be said for having the flexibility to go wide. and also for the color matching between across the range that a single lens gives you.

My concerns are #1 - does the zeiss have notably better image quality than the V1 (not V2) Fujinon Cabrio?

The Zeiss is compatible with full frame 35mm sensors. If that's direction the technology is going, it makes the Zeiss a better investment for the future.

And yes, does the extra inch on the Fujinon compromise the balance of hand held and shoulder rigs like the usra mini

Then there's the Angenieux 30-76mm, it's 4.2lbs - so more than 1 lbs lighter than the Zeiss and more the .5 lbs lighter than the Fujinon, and it's shorter than either and costs less.

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 5:45 am

If you,do not need the extra wide angle of the Fuji or Zeiss, I would go,with the Angie for the above stated reasons, lighter, shorter and less expensive. All three work for me. When shooting ENG style, an extra .5lbs adds up over the course of a day's worth of shooting especially towards the end of the day.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Ah, now if you are opening up the consideration of other zooms, this TLS 24-70mm Aurora CINÉ conversion of the Nikon 24-70mm zoom, might be interesting:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/09/14/n ... cine-lens/

Rick Lang

Benjamin de Menil

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 4:58 pm

I went to B&H and auditioned in the zeiss 28-80 and fujinon 19-90. It was late in the day, and so light was generally pretty low and I tested mostly with the lenses wide open. in my tests, the Fujinon was considerably sharper than the Zeiss - which is saying something as the Zeiss is reputed to be ultra sharp.

The Zeiss on the other hand, appeared to have an edge in the quality of its bokeh and out of focus material.

I tried stopping down the zeiss to around 4, but it still looked to me like the fujinon was sharper.

The fujinon also appeared to have higher contrast

Both looked very good. I have a vague impression that the zeiss might feel more 'cinematic' because of the pleasantness of out of focus material.

I also tried to new line of canon cine zooms. Didn't seem to me to be in the same league.

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 5:08 pm

I think because the Fujinon has more contrast, it would make it look a little sharper than the Zeiss. But in a Cinema lens, you can get too sharp, then you start to get more sensor issues, like moire. The Fuji is more expensive, longer zoom range, so,is bound to have a few advantages over the Zeiss.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Asok Kumar

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 am

I think that Zeiss have an edge over fuginon,Zeiss is more sharp and color contrast,also price wise less future proof as it is a full frame sensor lens,and overall Zeiss reputation!any one know any feature film shot on this Zeiss CZ2 lenses?

Asok Kumar

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 3:37 am

And of cource,new giant camera manufactures like Arri,Red,sony r stepping to full frame sensor cine cameras,so again Zeiss CZ lens have an edge over the fuginon cabrio 19-90 lens!!!

Patrick Acum

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 1:40 pm

I'd seriously look at the angie 30-90 EZ1. I like shooting long, so 30 is wide enough for me, its light, relatively cheap and an amazing constant t2. Added to that, with the variable rear optical element, it can shoot FF or VV.
There's also the ez2 22-60mm

Asok Kumar

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Agreed,but I think that the optical quality is better in Zeiss CZ than anginox ez

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Asok Kumar wrote:Agreed,but I think that the optical quality is better in Zeiss CZ than anginox ez

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Have you actually used these lenses or is this an opinion based on your internet research?

The Angenieux EZ 1&2 are a new lens design, with very well controlled CA, sharp across the image, have a great Angenieux character and fast T2. Also, they are more affordable. Clearly Asok you have a preference for Zeiss CZ, but despite being great lenses, they are an older formula as are many of the Zeiss lenses.

When you are talking about this level of quality, it really comes down to preference. Both lens series are excellent, and to start proclaiming one is better than another is more a subjective opinion. My preference is the Angenieux EZ as I prefer the look, they are wider, lighter and faster. But to be frank, I'd be happy shooting with either.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denny Smith

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Having used both Angenieux and Zeiss lenses, both are excellent, but each has its own particular “look”.
I tend to lean towards the Angenieux, as I like it’s more Cine like warm look, over the Zeiss. That said, the Zeiss 28mm f/2is one of my favorite primes. So it all boils down to the look you want and like. Both of the new zooms seem to follow both makers track record.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Asok Kumar

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 am

OK,but pleasef compare a fottage of Zeiss CZ with angeonux,then u will understand sir,regards asok

Return to Cinematography