Upgrading gpu. What to get?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robbin Bruzelius

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi need help to decide what gpu to get? working in davinci resolve grading 4k video and some 3d effects and compositing. Titan x 12g or 980ti 6g? Also since im on pc. Anyone running resolve 12 and windows 10? Is it working ok?

davidanderson

Re: Upgrading gpu. What to get?

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:32 am

I'd recommend the 980Ti, I have the titan, but monitoring it, I usually sit at 5GB or less used.
A 4GB card is not really enough, but 6GB seems to be the sweet spot for our 4K workflow.

JulianGil

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 9:24 am

I upgraded my 2009 MacPro with the 980ti and it works well. I can now add noise reduction and render in high quality debayer at 4K. However I did have issues with some OFX plug ins at 4K so maybe that 12GB would work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cMP 2010 2x 3.46GHz 6-Core 64GB RAM Radeon VII 16GB
Mojave 10.14.5

Jean Claude

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 11:14 am

Hi,

I am under W10 x64 pro and I have a GTX 980 Ti 6 GB VRAM. At least 6GB for working mode with some temporal effect OFX (Neat Video for example temporal 5 and with 4K and larger).

On the site : Neat video (https://www.neatvideo.com/bugs.html#Resolve) it is written:
"
Current versions of DaVinci Resolve are very demanding when it comes to the GPU memory resources, especially when Temporal Noise Reduction (built-in filter in Resolve) or third-party OFX plug-ins doing temporal processing (like Neat Video) are used.
This may become a problem when working with large frame sizes, like 4k and larger. For 4k timelines, Resolve 11 officially requires at least 4 GB of GPU memory (on each GPU) under Windows and 6 GB of GPU memory (on each GPU) under Mac OSX.
Resolve 12 requires 8 GB. However, Resolve may experience a shortage of GPU memory even when those requirements are met, and especially if they are not met by the hardware. When that happens, Resolve will show an error message:"Yor GPU memory is full. Try reducing the timeline resolution ..."
To avoid such a problem please either run the software on machines with larger GPU memory or decrease the timeline resolution. It may also help Resolve processing to not run its processing on the same GPU that is used to driver the display.
"

(There is an inflation of VRAM each version of DaVinci Resolve?)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Paul Sangha

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Yes - 980ti 6GB because

1. Titan X - you only get reference NVidia design and cooler therefore it thermal throttles and is not overclocked (and if you do it will thermal throttle under load - provided it gets put under heavy load) - *edit* - there is indeed one aftermarket cooler configuration as pointed in the next post.

2. 980 ti - an aftermarket manufacturer (ASUS, EVGA) will always overclock it by default and the larger coolers help it run cooler and quieter. So it clocks higher than a Titan X.

Therefore when you compare benchmarks - 980ti is always equals or in many cases betters Titan X (these are gaming benchmarks so interpret them as you will).

Also real time 4K grading may (ie 4K timeline resolution) not be as beneficial on a non retina screen display - as you are rendering in 4K but eventually only a very tiny proportion of it gets displayed on screen in real time (unless it works differently in which case feel free to correct me).
Last edited by Paul Sangha on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

Robbin Bruzelius

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 12:55 am

Upgraded older computer to windows 10 and davinci 12. Seems to work fine. Need some more testing to check stability. The newer computer uses intensity pro 4k card and is connected to 4k tv. Have right now nvidia 780 gpu and need some more power.
Would be great to grade and use neat video at uhd resolution and get realtime playback. Anyone tried neat video with 980ti and or titan x? Whats your playback speed in uhd project?
Looking at this card at the moment http://www.evga.com/articles/00935/EVGA ... -X-HYBRID/
There is also same maker with 980ti model

Return to DaVinci Resolve