Does Mini Converter Audio to SDI pass embedded audio?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Don Schumacher

Does Mini Converter Audio to SDI pass embedded audio?

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Hello,
Does the 'Mini Converter Audio to SDI' pass embedded audio or is the embedded overridden / stripped. I have one hooked up and it appears the be getting stripped.
Thanks,
Don

Jeff Hartman

Re: Does Mini Converter Audio to SDI pass embedded audio?

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Don Schumacher wrote:Hello,
Does the 'Mini Converter Audio to SDI' pass embedded audio or is the embedded overridden / stripped. I have one hooked up and it appears the be getting stripped.
Thanks,
Don

Funny, I happened to have several of these on my desk this very afternoon!

The Audio to SDI converters (both the miniconverter and OpenGear varieties) as shipped overwrite the first four stereo pairs of embedded audio -- that is, whatever was embedded in the incoming video gets replaced. But there are DIP switches that let you turn one or more embedders off so that incoming audio passes through. Turning switch 1 'on' puts AES pair 1 (channels 1 and 2) in 'bypass', letting the incoming embedded audio pass through to the output. Switches 2, 3 and 4 do the same for AES pairs 2 (ch 3/4), 3 (ch 5/6), and 4 (7/8). We use these to embed AES audio, but the switches should perform the equivalent function for analog inputs.

One thing to watch: the DIP switches seem rather counter-intuitive: physically, they go down when they're in the 'on' position (look closely at the lower left of the switch and you'll see it).

Regards,

-- Jeff

Don Schumacher

Re: Does Mini Converter Audio to SDI pass embedded audio?

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Thank you Jeff that is what I needed to know.
Don

Return to Getting Started