Intensity Pro 4k green picture problem

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Dan Smolik

Intensity Pro 4k green picture problem

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi all,
I have buy new one Intensity Pro 4K for testing. I use Debian Wheezy 32bit. Installed all required package and desktopvideo_10.5a17_i386.deb. Kernel driver compiles without any problem. All start working. I need grab component analog video. I use Sony camera FCB-H11. Run mediaexpress 3.4.1a2 and start grabbing. But picture looks green and unusable. Please see attachment. When I replace Intensity Pro 4K with Intensity Pro with the same cables and signal source, divers etc. Now all works picture is color. I tested everything I can but still green picture. When I grab from HDMI input picture is color. It looks like that only component input on Intensity Pro 4K doesn't work.

Regards
Dan
Attachments
linuxcap.jpg
Screen grab in mediaexpress on Intensity Pro 4K component input
linuxcap.jpg (363.29 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

Ed Dow

Re: Intensity Pro 4k green picture problem

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 5:11 pm

Greetings Dan,

That picture looks like my lab. :-)

It looks like you are just getting the Y component.

If you unplug the red and blue component cables do you still get the same picture? I suspect you might. At that point I would think Cb and Cr components are not being processed.

I have seen some goofy things on TV's where the Y component is also used as the composite signal. I'm not familiar with the Intensity Pro 4K and Intensity Pro inputs, but there's nothing goofy like that going on is there? Like maybe it thinks it's in composite mode and you are just giving it the Y component?

Ed
Respectfully,
Ed

Windows 7, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G (HDMI Input), Media Express 3.4.1

Dan Smolik

PostMon Oct 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Greetings Ed,
we are almost sure that the problem is not in cables. When we disconnect color components the image will change and is not green any more. If we use old Intensity Pro instead of new Intensity Pro 4K , the problem will disappear.

Regards
Dan

Ed Dow

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Greetings Dan,

Hmmm..... so what you are saying you have is this:

Output | Card
Y --> Y
Cb --> Cb
Cr --> Cr

And this produces the green screen.

Then you disconnect the color components so you have

Output | Card
Y --> Y

And with only the Y the picture is good?

I'm stumped?

One thought is that the output is really composite. But even that doesn't add up because you use the other card with the same cables and it all just works.

Could it be drivers?

The drivers(firmware) I got with the Decklink 4K Extreme 4G did not work. I too was getting green video. This was with HDMI but non the less similar results. I had to get newer drivers in order for it to work correctly.

Hope this helps.
Respectfully,
Ed

Windows 7, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G (HDMI Input), Media Express 3.4.1

Dan Smolik

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Ed Dow wrote:Greetings Dan,

Hmmm..... so what you are saying you have is this:

Output | Card
Y --> Y
Cb --> Cb
Cr --> Cr

Yes. Correct.

And this produces the green screen.

Then you disconnect the color components so you have

Output | Card
Y --> Y

And with only the Y the picture is good?

No I mean that only with Y is black.
I test normal PAL from generator and it is color.
When I switch to HDMI input and use my notebook as picture source colors are OK.
It looks like only Components input doesn't work, but I only need this input :-)

I'm stumped?

One thought is that the output is really composite. But even that doesn't add up because you use the other card with the same cables and it all just works.
Yes I have monitor with composite input and I many times check signal and it is OK.

Could it be drivers?
I am 100% sure that this is a driver problem :-). I use newest 10.5 check 2 older versions but problem still same.

The drivers(firmware) I got with the Decklink 4K Extreme 4G did not work. I too was getting green video. This was with HDMI but non the less similar results. I had to get newer drivers in order for it to work correctly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for help, but problem still there :-(

Regards
Dan

Michael Day

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 am

did you fix this issue? Was it the drivers?

Nicholas Gill

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi Michael,

If you are experiencing this issue, I recommend ensuring that you are using Desktop Video 10.8+ as that version included an update for the Intensity Pro 4K.

If you continue to experience this issue with 10.8 (or above), I recommend contacting the experts at your local Blackmagic Design Support office, who will be able to provide the best guidance to resolve the issue.

Cheers,

-nick

Return to Software Developers