Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

gamma pivot in color corrector?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dominik Bauch

gamma pivot in color corrector?

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 12:32 am

Hi,

New to Fusion, running Fusion 8 B2 on mac. Super happy that this is happening.

One thing I've noticed is that color correction in scene linear doesn't work very well.
Can we have a pivot in the color correction tool so that we can have more control over contrast and gamma operations?
Seems like the CC math works in srgb color space...

Thanks.

Chad Capeland

Re: gamma pivot in color corrector?

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 7:37 pm

What makes you think it works in sRGB?

I assure you it works in linear, but the ranges for shadow/mid/highlight are linear as well, which often is the issue. Check your ranges to see where they fall. If you are only using the Master adjustments, then that wouldn't matter, of course.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Florian Hirschmann

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 5:12 pm

To me it also seems that the CC-Node expects sRGB input, otherwise the midtones would be set at around gamma 1 and not 2.2. I always put a gamma correction before and after the node to get the results I normaly would get from a three way color corrector.

michael vorberg

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 pm

since fusion 7.7(?) you can set a option in the preferences for "gamma aware color controls" maybe this gives you a better experience in a linear workflow. the standard behaviour of the controls are more to a sRGB workflow, but the math behind it works in linear

the question is how did you setup your workflow with loading images, linearize them, view them, ...

Dominik Bauch

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:What makes you think it works in sRGB?

I assure you it works in linear, but the ranges for shadow/mid/highlight are linear as well, which often is the issue. Check your ranges to see where they fall. If you are only using the Master adjustments, then that wouldn't matter, of course.

I've got a lot of experience as color grader, having used Resolve and Flame extensively.

All I'm saying is that performing standard color operations on scene linear exr's produces strange results.

Be good to know from a dev what's happening under the hood.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Dominik Bauch wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:What makes you think it works in sRGB?

I've got a lot of experience as color grader, having used Resolve and Flame extensively.

All I'm saying is that performing standard color operations on scene linear exr's produces strange results.

Be good to know from a dev what's happening under the hood.

Not sure how your experience matters here. Black box testing reveals it is linear. You don't need a dev to tell you what's happening under the hood when you can test it yourself.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion