Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Extracting EXR Channels after Loader?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Travis Schmiesing

Extracting EXR Channels after Loader?

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi All,

I have a multi channel EXR. It is easy enough to extract the channels but selecting them from the format tab of the loader but I am wondering if there is a way that I can set the channels to use in a separate node after the loader?

To explain further... I am setting a still workflow that will have several cameras and options. I want to be able to simply link a new loader into the front of my comp and have it populate the downstream nodes with the proper channels. This will allow me to quickly study different views and options without needing to update several loaders.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Chad Capeland

Re: Extracting EXR Channels after Loader?

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

You can reorder the channels after the Loader, but only if you have them written in the Loader first.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Travis Schmiesing

PostThu Oct 22, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks for the quick response, I was delayed a bit before getting back to this. I did a bit of research and there is nothing natively that does what I want. A couple of forum posts sounded as though they had promising script solutions but the links were dead.

Essentially I want to load my multi channel EXR into one loader and then link that loader to another loader to isolate the different channels. Doing so will tremendously increase my speed.

Do you know if this is something a skilled Python scripter can solve?
Attachments
Loader.jpg
Loader.jpg (169.52 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi Travis. There is a script that actually works for this. It is called "hos_splitEXR" made thanks to a guy named Sven (I don't know his second name). You can download it through this link: http://www.svenneve.com/?p=889

It is currently working in Fusion 7 only; at least this is the case for me, since I cannot get scripts to run in Fusion 8 Beta.

After installing the script, what you do is you just load the EXR, then right click it and from the script menu, choose 'hos_splitexr'.

03.png
Right click the EXR Loader and go to Script
03.png (161.8 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

From there it is pretty simple. You just select from simple preferences, which does not affect the actual splitting process, and then it is done.

Here are two images of an example EXR that I split using the script.

04.png
Shadow Pass
04.png (148.58 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

05.png
AO Pass
05.png (183.46 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Travis Schmiesing

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 3:48 pm

That script speed the workflow but it doesn't full do what I need. I am building a stills workflow for quick design and concept iterations. I need to be able to link to a new EXR quickly and have it read all of the channels through. Using "hos_splitEXR" I still have to re-link each node individually rather than updating the location 1 time and having it read though to all of the channel nodes.

You can do this in Nuke, I am hoping it can be replicated in Fusion.

Chad Capeland

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Just change all the clips with a script. The general idea is the same, you just want to automate the part where you choose the new EXR file?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Travis Schmiesing

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 5:45 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:Just change all the clips with a script. The general idea is the same, you just want to automate the part where you choose the new EXR file?

Yep. I would rather it be native but if a script will get the job done then that is the way we will go. Do you have any recommendations for a skilled Python scripter for Fusion? I will likely need to have this and a few additional scripts written.

Return to Fusion