Will the BMI Shuttle allow me to use my 360 on my laptop?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Sentinel

Will the BMI Shuttle allow me to use my 360 on my laptop?

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi,

I was looking into various USB capturing solutions and while most of them seem to do capturing to a decent standard, it seems that they can't really be utilised to allow gaming on a laptop screen because of lag. Considering that the BMI Shuttle is probably the only USB 3.0 solution out there, I was wondering if the faster transfer speed allows for less lag.

So, if I hook up my 360 to a BMI shuttle and then connect to my laptop, would it be possible to use the laptop as a monitor for my console in a fashion that makes games actually playable?

Thanks.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: Will the BMI Shuttle allow me to use my 360 on my laptop

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 am

In general we would recommend away from playing your games on your laptop screen as you capture them for a couple of reasons. First, the game play will not be full screen but instead will be constrained within the software GUI. Second, though the delay is minimal, it may be enough to throw you off as you play. Each system is a little different when it comes to processing time, so you could see a couple of frames of delay or even more than this depending on a several factors relating to the system. Some users find the delay time acceptable, but best practice and our recommendation would be to capture to the computer while using the HDMI or analog outputs on the Intensity Shuttle (or whichever capture device you choose) to play your games in true real time on the unprocessed pass through.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Getting Started