Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Free Fusion Linux/Free Plugins

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

GiorgioAdolfoKrenkel

Free Fusion Linux/Free Plugins

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Was just wondering if Fusion Free will also be ported to linux?!
Also, what about support for free plugins, like the krokodove one?

Thank you!

David Mathis

Re: Free Fusion Linux/Free Plugins

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 8:41 pm

I doubt highly the free version will be available for Linux. There is only Resolve Studio for Linux at the moment. I would like OFX support for the free version but that is unlikely as well.

michael vorberg

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 8:28 am

Somewhere here on the forums BMD said only the Studio version will be available and plugins is also a Studio only feature

Johnny Farmfield

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 10:27 am

The free version of Fusion does not (and likely never will-) support external plugins, this is a sales point for the Studio version priced at €1k.

With that said, if BMD releases free versions for Windows- and Mac but not for Linux, that will only create unnecessary bad will and it would be a mistake. The smart way to go would be limiting commercial use for the free version in the EULA or do something like limiting CPU cores for processing.

It's as simple as this. The tactics for getting studios to pay for Fusion should not affect "the little guy". :)
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

David Mathis

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 12:44 pm

Well said. Patiently waiting for Studio to come out for Mac platform so I can use Sapphire plug-ins for finishing. Been thinking about migrating to Linux but that would be cost prohibitive for me at the moment.

As a side note:

I prefer layers for motion graphics, very much would love to see that BMD team come up with something like that. For finishing, Fusion and Resolve are a great choice.

Chad Capeland

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 3:30 pm

David Mathis wrote:I doubt highly the free version will be available for Linux. There is only Resolve Studio for Linux at the moment. I would like OFX support for the free version but that is unlikely as well.

It's far more likely that native plugins will be supported in the free version before OFX ones will. OFX plugins are a support issue and compromise the user experience. Native plugins encourage an ecosystem that BMD has the ability to influence, which means faster innovation moving forward.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 3:32 pm

David Mathis wrote:I prefer layers for motion graphics, very much would love to see that BMD team come up with something like that. For finishing, Fusion and Resolve are a great choice.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was coming, but not in the way you expect.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Johnny Farmfield

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 3:46 pm

David Mathis wrote:Well said. Patiently waiting for Studio to come out for Mac platform so I can use Sapphire plug-ins for finishing. Been thinking about migrating to Linux but that would be cost prohibitive for me at the moment.

There are a number of plugins in Sapphire I'd love to use more than out at clients who run it, but I refuse to pay $1.500 when I know I'll never touch 3/4th of them... :roll:

David Mathis wrote:I prefer layers for motion graphics, very much would love to see that BMD team come up with something like that. For finishing, Fusion and Resolve are a great choice.

I die a little inside every time I have to start After Effects. It's an amazingly horrible app to use for anything not 100% 2D. The only app I can even think of with a worse 3D space is MS Paint. :? :D
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Lucas Pfaff

PostMon Oct 19, 2015 9:17 am

I do understand the limitations of plugins in Fusions free version, however it's still a bit sad in comparison to Resolve.

In Resolve, I can use integrated optical flow effects and have full plugin support (Audio as well as Video!), but it limits me regarding hardware, noise reduction+motion blur, stereoscopic work and all the collaborative features (more important if you have more than one DaVinci on a single project) and remote grading.
In Fusion, I have neither optical flow nor plugin support; of course you could bypass some of its shortcomings with plugins (e.g. the optical flow), yet in DaVinci you can do the very same (and should! the Noise Reduction is mediocre at best)

Actually I only hate that I can't use NEAT inside of Fusion free. That's the only real thing missing for me so far (aside from a more functional tracker)

Johnny Farmfield

PostMon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

I believe the lack of denoiser in Fusion and/or Resolve is possible a deal breaker for some people, and I mean on a necessity basis, thus not a reasonable thing to exclude. No de-noiser and no plugin support means there is no way to de-noise in the free version, that might just annoy people unnecessarily.

Personally I almost always do preparation work on footage, crop/reformat/de-noise/re-time, etc. before rendering it to a suitable editing format like a TGA sequence, so I can absolutely work around it outside Fusion, but when I'm Nuke, I usually do the cleanup and formatting inside my main comp as it's convenient if I (or someone taking over) need to change the footage, the crop/format, etc... With that said, doesn't mean BMD need to offer the most advanced denoiser in the free versions of Fusion/Resolve, just implement something basic and usable, then you'd include the advanced, GPU accelerated one in the studio version...

Joël Gibbs

PostMon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:

You piqued my interest Chad....care to elaborate on what you're thinking? :)

Chad Capeland

PostMon Oct 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Joël Gibbs wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:

You piqued my interest Chad....care to elaborate on what you're thinking? :)

Absolutely not. :)

The evidence was available publicly from BMD at one point, though.

EDIT: I had a "can't see the forrest for the trees" moment there... I do have first hand knowledge of another way to do motion graphics with Photoshop style transfer modes. I will provide more details soon, but it's definitely in line with the original discussion, as it requires Fusion Studio.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Lucas Pfaff

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 11:34 pm

Johnny Farmfield wrote:I believe the lack of denoiser in Fusion and/or Resolve is possible a deal breaker for some people, and I mean on a necessity basis, thus not a reasonable thing to exclude. No de-noiser and no plugin support means there is no way to de-noise in the free version, that might just annoy people unnecessarily.

Well in Resolve you can use the plugins, and with e.g. NEAT you get not only a lot cheaper than Resolve Studio, it's also a lot better (maybe not faster, but MUCH better).

The Remove Grain-Node is ok-ish for the basic prep, but not really good when working with "less than ideal" footage if you get me :) if it's really only grain, it can work out ok. But not more.
What you could do is buy NEAT for DaVinci Resolve Lite, denoise there, even apply retimes with optical flow, render it out and get it into Fusion. All free (except the Plugin), but a bit of a hassle. Yet the tracking bothers me more, hopefully there will be something like "Mocha for Fusion" for a few bucks :)

Chris Tempel

PostThu Oct 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Rick Griffo wrote:hopefully there will be something like "Mocha for Fusion" for a few bucks

I've been using Mocha Pro with Fusion and it's working great. I can even copy and paste from Mocha to Fusion like I used to do with Mocha and AE :D

Lucas Pfaff

PostThu Oct 22, 2015 10:26 pm

Chris Tempel wrote:
Rick Griffo wrote:hopefully there will be something like "Mocha for Fusion" for a few bucks

I've been using Mocha Pro with Fusion and it's working great. I can even copy and paste from Mocha to Fusion like I used to do with Mocha and AE :D

I have Mocha Pro in the company, but it's a bit costly for home use. If they pimped Mocha Plus with Fusion support, I think they could definately get some new customers in their boat which don't want to invest into the pro version :)

that, or a proper planar-tracker inside of Fusion of course. I actually quite like the one in Nuke, it really improved since its introduction, for many occasions it's absolutely sufficiant :)

michael vorberg

PostFri Oct 23, 2015 11:51 am

mocha 5 will come with improved Fusion support, they have currently a beta programm running

Return to Fusion