Intensity Shuttle PS3 1080i Capture Issue

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Yeomans

Intensity Shuttle PS3 1080i Capture Issue

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello everybody, I am having a very specific issue regarding recording my PS3 with the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0

My setup goes as follows: Proprietary PS3 Cable to Component AV IN on the Blackmagic, and Component AV to the Television. The Intensity is, of course, connected to the USB 3.0 slot on my computer and the USB drivers are up to date and correct.

I am currently recording in 1080i, 59.94 frames per second (the only setting that works with my PS3). My problem is that when in the PS3 menu, it captures video and audio without a problem, however whenever I start a game I only can capture audio. I have tried every setting I can imagine, but with no luck.

Is there a way to solve this problem? This is the only cable setup that has worked for me, because of the PS3's HDCP, and I would like to start actually recording games.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

EDIT: I tried out some different display settings and it turns out I can capture in 720p with no problems, but I would still like to capture in 1080i if at all possible. Thought I should mention it since it seems to be a problem only with 1080i. Also, I cannot use 1080p because the television screen goes completely blue and the audio cuts out, not sure what that's about

Dennis Sädtler

Re: Intensity Shuttle PS3 1080i Capture Issue

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 am

From my experience the PS3 switches output resoltions sometimes instead of just scaling up.

I have no PS3 here atm. but I'm sure if you set your shuttle to 720p after you started the game and get no image anymore you should get one again.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity Shuttle PS3 1080i Capture Issue

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 2:15 am

It sounds like your PS3 is switching its resolution when your game launches. When you are setting your display settings on the PS3 for your component output, in addition to having 1080i checked off, does your system also have the lower resolutions checked off as well (720p, etc.)? If so, the PS3 may be trying to find the optimum resolution for your game.

There's also the possibility that the particular game you're playing will force a 720p output and is what's changing the resolution of your output once you launch it. A lot of the new 3D games will do this, and I believe other games will natively run at 720p as well, mainly due to fast motion looking better in a progressive format over interlaced. To confirm this, if you bypass the Shuttle entirely and plug directly into your TV, check the detected resolution on the home screen and compare this to the resolution detected after the game launches. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any way to override this on the PS3.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Getting Started