Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

More codecs?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tom Glod

More codecs?

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 4:11 am

Hi Everyone,

I did a search trying to find help on this but didn't really find it anaswered....

How do I get more codecs to choose from in the saver settings? .... I only got uncompressed and microsoft's crappy old codecs...i downlaoded x265 and installed it ...but it doesn't show up there. Is there anything I am missing here?

Thanks

Rony Soussan

Re: More codecs?

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 5:35 pm

Fusion does not currently support H265 codec

Tom Glod

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Ok..well which codecs does it support that I can use to export and upload to youtube in high quality? AE has 264 option and if u crank the btrate it was nearly lossless...trying to find a similar solution. Thanks. :)

michael vorberg

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Well, you can choose nearly all Codecs QuickTime has, Fusion on Windows (until v7) supports many direct show Codecs, you can use avid dnx,...

Best for YouTube would be to render to h264 QuickTime
You can set more options in the file - >preferences

Tom Glod

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 8:16 pm

I will try that..thank you.

Justin Courneya

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 4:46 pm

I made the mistake of installing windows 10 on my computer . It currently doesn't support quicktime.
What options do i have to get other codecs to work ?

Rony Soussan

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 5:45 pm

There should be no issue, I use windows 10, and have all codecs available to me that are installed with Quicktime.

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Justin Courneya wrote:I made the mistake of installing windows 10 on my computer . It currently doesn't support quicktime.
What options do i have to get other codecs to work ?

LOL, what? Of course Quicktime works in Windows 10, I've been running Windows 10 on my main wotrkstation for something like 6 months now.

Anyhow.

Never use compressed footage in your comps and never render to containers, always use image sequences.

For assets and footage, compressed footage (at least most delivery codecs) will make any editing or compositing application way more crash prone as these formats are meant for playback, not scrubbing. Using something like tga sequences (my fav format) will mean way less issues no matter what application you're using.

As for rendering to container formats, what if your render errors at the next last frame? Just don't do it, render to an intermediate format, then use Handbrake or AME to encode your delivery format.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Justin Courneya

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi there

Thanx for the quick replies . I Should have put more detail into my post. I installed Fusion a few weeks before installing windows 10 . I used the saver node to render out videos many times with Quicktime.
Since i have installed windows 10 on both my machines i haven't been able to render out using Quicktime. I thought when i went to Apples website it said the latest quicktime version cannot be installed on windows 10 . I installed an older version of Quicktime and still no luck . I just get the render did not complete msg.

I mainly only work with image sequences , but i just wanted to render out a mov or mp4 to show a quick test to client, and was sick of sending it over to AME . Forgive me if these are silly questions im fresh out of school,and all they taught me there were Adobe software.

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 9:15 pm

Dunno what to tell you, I've had no issues with Quicktime in Windows 10, I rendered a H264 with Quicktime as late as an hour ago, it works perfectly. And I just checked the version, I run 7.7.7 :)
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Return to Fusion