Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Dynamically Resize Foreground PSD?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Travis Schmiesing

Dynamically Resize Foreground PSD?

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Is it possible to have a Resize / Scale that works according to the resolution of the comp it is being merged into, but also have the resizing adjust dynamically as the resolution of the comp changes?

I am constructing a workflow for high volume output of still images. The raw rendered input images will have pixel resolution varying from 2000px to 5000px wide. The images will require additional people composites that will be performed in Photoshop. The PSD will then be placed into the scene and linked into the Flow by plugging into the Foreground of the Merge. All PSD's will be set up at 5000px wide.

So.. I am trying to get the PSD to resize automatically to the pixel width of the incoming raw rendering from our 3d package.

Any advice?

Rony Soussan

Re: Dynamically Resize Foreground PSD?

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Use expression in a resize node.

Easy way, always have a dummy node after your CG, one that you never remove. It can be any node, I usually use BC and slide the blend to 0, call it 'dummyNode'

add resize node after all the PSD file loaders.
create expression on width and height

dummyNode.Input.Width and dummyNode.Input.Height for expressions for width and height.

Now your PSD loaders, will auto scale to whatever the node downstream from your cg is, which can change from version to version .

Hope that helps.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 pm

dummyNode.Input.OriginalHeight & dummyNode.Input.OriginalWidth will get you the non-proxy size. Otherwise the size will change when proxied.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Rony Soussan

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 10:57 pm

I am truly learning a lot form chad today!

Travis Schmiesing

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:Use expression in a resize node.

Easy way, always have a dummy node after your CG, one that you never remove. It can be any node, I usually use BC and slide the blend to 0, call it 'dummyNode'

add resize node after all the PSD file loaders.
create expression on width and height

dummyNode.Input.Width and dummyNode.Input.Height for expressions for width and height.

Now your PSD loaders, will auto scale to whatever the node downstream from your cg is, which can change from version to version .

Hope that helps.

Thanks! This does exactly what I need. Because this is a stills workflow I liekly won't need to use proxies.

Return to Fusion