Ultrastudio Express Not Accepting Composite Signal?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Steve Sharples

Ultrastudio Express Not Accepting Composite Signal?

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi there,

I have set up my Ultrastudio Express working perfectly with FCPX with outputting HD to my TV for my workflow. This is all fine for my HD work, however when I need something as simple as a VHS capture from a composite RCA signal (by using the breakout cable) I am not getting a signal at all, I have tried all the settings which are correct, double checked the signal input on all inputs, and all i see is a very brief flash of a picture every one minute or so? Incidentally I hear no audio either.

I am using the Media Express software that came with the unit. This is fairly annoying as my cheap A/D converter takes the signal perfectly?

Am I missing something here?

Help is appreciated.
Director of Globegig Media - www.globegig.com - Video Production | Event Filming | Live Streaming

Esa Kranz

Re: Ultrastudio Express Not Accepting Composite Signal?

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 10:43 am

Basically the problem is that your source is not giving stable enough sync signal. BM products are designed for broadcast solutions, and these seem to be rather picky about the signal quality.

Problems with VHS sources have been frequently reported here, so I am just wondering if this is a NTSC vs PAL related issue!?
I am in the PAL world, where VHS devices are mostly quite OK as sources.
- Perhaps it is not the case in the "Never The Same Colour" -world?

Steve Sharples

Re: Ultrastudio Express Not Accepting Composite Signal?

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi there,

In fact I am working on a PAL system, I have also tried a Sony Hi8mm deck with 8mm tapes still without success. Maybe I need to test this with a DVD player or something to see if it is a signal feed issue etc?

Very frustrating as I thought it would accept all signals without having a kind of 'signal strength requirement' before importing, especially seeing as a cheaper Datavideo system has no problem in doing so. :roll:
Director of Globegig Media - www.globegig.com - Video Production | Event Filming | Live Streaming

Return to Getting Started