Logo / Brand removal

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Masters

Logo / Brand removal

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi all,

sorry if this has already been answered. I've searched using the best terms I can think of with no luck.

an actor that was in a recent shoot turned up wearing a black overcoat as requested, however, it has a rather large embroidered logo that I can't get rid of. In photoshop, this would be a very easy and basic task, but being new to Resolve, I'm really stuck.

Can anybody offer a suggestion please? I know I will need to track it after removal, its just the removal bit I need guidance on.

Thanks in advance, screen shot attached. Resolve version 12

Regards

John
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 13.20.59.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 13.20.59.png (514.01 KiB) Viewed 2233 times

Martin Schitter

Re: Logo / Brand removal

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 1:41 pm

John Masters wrote:Can anybody offer a suggestion please? I know I will need to track it after removal, its just the removal bit I need guidance on.

i think, this should be better done in a typical compositing application be (nuke, fusion...). resolve may have all of the necessary functionality alike, but you would have to emulate the compositing workflow (roto+track, degrain, inpaint, regrain...) by quite strange and artificial looking workarounds. i think, its better to use the right tool for different tasks.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 2:46 pm

yes I suggest too to look for nuke/AE: is s better way.

especially if you have few shots and the actor move all over the place.

a dirty way to minimize it is to do a soft mask, key that color and reduce the color to black and white, darken the hell out of it, soft it and add some grain back
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Lee Gauthier

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 6:11 pm

You should do this in AE with Mocha. (A version of Mocha comes free with AE)

Mocha has a dedicated Replace module for this sort of thing. Here's a demo video showing you the process.

Using Mocha, you track the logo, then you use Mocha to send a frame to Photoshop for the paint-out. Mocha then uses the painted out frame, and tracks it onto the jacket. it's very slick and easy.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 2:11 am

I had a case recently where an actor wore Nike socks (!) in a scene, I was able to use Node Sizing to grab a swatch of cloth, mask the offending logo, and then track it to his movements. It'd be tough in a case like this where the jacket logo is so large. Going with AE or Mocha/Maya would be much more precise.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

John Masters

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 5:06 pm

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I guess I'll have to spend some time learning some AE / Mocha now! - always up for a challenge though.

What a great and helpful community to be a part of :)

Marc - your suggestion sounds intriguing but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you explain more either on here or in private message?

***EDIT*** Just found the information on page 834 of the manual. Thanks Marc - about to give this a try

Marc Wielage

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 8:07 am

John Masters wrote: your suggestion sounds intriguing but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you explain more either on here or in private message? Just found the information on page 834 of the manual. Thanks Marc - about to give this a try

Yes, Node Sizing can do miracles under the right circumstances. I've managed to save clients quite a bit of time and money by avoiding the need for them to do additional VFX fixes for stuff like visible lights or boom mics in cases where we can mask them off in Resolve. It's not always 100% effective, but I'd say 60-70% of the time it works fairly well. In some cases, you will need to do hand roto it when the tracking doesn't quite hack it.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve