Media Pool Upload

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jim Filley

Media Pool Upload

PostWed Nov 18, 2015 1:35 am

Trying to speed up the time it takes to upload 31 frames of a PNG sequence with alpha to the Media Pool. Currently it takes about 94 sec. I need to change sequences out on the stinger for live sports faster.

I have tried the three main alpha formats TGA, PNG and TIFF. They all take the same amount of time to upload.

ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4k
Running 6.6.1
Video format is 1080i 59.94

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

Jim

JohnBengston

Re: Media Pool Upload

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Don't spend time on this mate.

If you are using more than two different stings in a live show, and you are asking yourself how to change ATEM Media Player Clips faster than 90s, then take that as a sign you should be using an external graphics renderer.

The question you are asking has an answer that is far more complicated than you expect, but for a laugh, the fastest way to upload clips:

[*]Do not have more than one instance of the BMD software connected to the switch. The BMD software downloads any stills /clips that are uploaded to the ATEM. This effects your ability to upload. So for every copy of the software connected you are increasing the time between changes.

[*]Limiting the complexity of your sting frames, files are not uploaded in any of the formats you mention, the conversion is done in the software, but the frames are RLE meaning a full Black Frame takes less time to upload than a full frame of detailed colour and / or complex key.

[*]Get a faster network, Although the network speed is not the ultimate limiting factor - i.e. you cannot upload data to the media store at 1000Mb/s, just over one second of video taking 90 seconds sounds high-ish to me, but again could be being influenced by points 1 & 2 above.

[*]Get down-and-dirty with the BMD ATEM SDK. Ultimately your frames will be stored in the ATEM media Store in 10bit YUVA format such that it can be "mixed" with all your other live video data. Some of the time involved is converting what is highly likely to be RGBA in your PNGs / TGAs / TIFFs on your PC to . If you store your frames as raw YUVA 10Bit files, you can potentially save time. If your primary control interface is a BMD control surface or other none-software solution, you can use the SDK to make a "fast change stinger" processes, and eliminate the BMD software, also eliminating the download cycle and latency.

[*]Related to above, ensure you are using a fast-ish PC to do the colour conversion / uploading. It is a mistake to think that an ATOM and an i7 would upload the same data on the same network at the same speed - mainly because of this colour conversion stage.

Most importantly - ignore all these ideas the media store is too slow for this use-case - get yourself a graphic renderer and set up macros / sequences to do the CUT underneath a DSKed externally played in Sting.

JohnBengston

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 pm

One other alternative you might consider.

Put all your stings together into one or two mega clips.

Then navigate the media player to the correct point as part of your STING macros, and adjust the STING transition accordingly.

Hence you are not attempting to change the media store.

This works if you have small-ish number of short stings like your 31 frame example. Doesn't help if you want to swap between multiple long stingers.

Jim Filley

PostFri Nov 20, 2015 1:52 am

John,

Thanks for the replies. While we have already found work arounds for this, these are great suggestions to try. We do already have an external device for with fill and key and will be using that for this project. If I get a chance to try anything, I'll post my tests here.

Thanks again,
Jim

Christoph Neymeyr

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi,

mind to share your workarounds?

Return to Live Production