Add Still/Freeze Option In ATEM Switcher Software

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Karan Kohli

Add Still/Freeze Option In ATEM Switcher Software

PostSun Nov 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Hello,
This is my request to add still/freeze option in ATEM Switcher Softare in upcoming upgrade,
as this option is missing in atem switcher, most of all other switchers are having freeze option n its very usefull
Thanks in advance.

Don Helms

Re: Add Still/Freeze Option In ATEM Switcher Software

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:54 pm

I agree I would love to have a freeze option on the Atem. Often during shows the client wants you to freeze the current powerpoint so they can make a change. The Atem is a great switcher but freeze would make it the best

Brett Casadonte

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 10:06 pm

This has been a much and oft requested feature for the ATEM switchers. Currently, if I'm not mistaken, there is a way to save a screen still using the Blackmagic Media Express software, though while it is possible, it certainly isn't as elegant or easy as what people are requesting. Hopefully it become as easy as a single click within the ATEM software in a future revision.

+1
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Scott Ryan

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 11:23 pm

I agree. Would also really like this feature. A way to save the current frame from a source to the media pool would be ideal.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 10:32 am

The Teranex AV has a option to store a frame into a buffer. Even for every resolution. It would be very nice if they integrated that into the Atem line.

Or at least in the TVS HD. as it has a non volatile media pool. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

uli peters

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 5:07 pm

+1

Baz

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 12:22 am

Considering every input on the ATEM has a Frame Syncroniser, it should be very easy... but the hardest part is how to implement it!
Maybe using the ATEM software panel ...
... hold CONTROL and PRESS the input you want to freeze? Then do it again to UNfreeze...

Us 3rd party programmers can reverse engineer it into our own panels.

Incidentally, for those who do not know what a frame syncroniser is, it is a lump of memory that saves a complete frame of video as it comes in from a source and then reads it out synchronous to a H/V reference (thus a 1 frame latency).
Subsequently all outputs of the input frame syncronisers are in H and V sync with each other.
This input and output happen at the same time, and at some stage you will get a frame bump when the output either runs out of input or the input overflows.
Many stand alone frame syncronisers have a built in FREEZE when it loses input to allow uninterrupted output.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Shane McCarthy

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 1:25 am

I found this out by mistake, but if you feed the output of the switcher back to an input and select that input it gives a still frame. If there is movement it gives a stuttering image but if a PowerPoint slide is used it looks fine.

Regards Shane

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Baz wrote:Considering every input on the ATEM has a Frame Syncroniser, it should be very easy... but the hardest part is how to implement it!

Well the biggest problem with this way of using this function.. The multiviewer will also get the feed from the Frame Syncs.. So your multiview image will also freeze up.. So any other content you would have runing afterwards will not show up..

I rather would like the option to pull / save a "freeze" image and bring it up to the media players. Or even better download it to the atem software. (like they put the players content to the Atem, but then reversed.)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

uli peters

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 8:32 am

Xtreemtec wrote:I rather would like the option to pull / save a "freeze" image and bring it up to the media players. Or even better download it to the atem software. (like they put the players content to the Atem, but then reversed.)

Yes, a "capture to still store X" or "capture to media player X" function would be the most flexible solution.

Pro-comm

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:24 pm

I am all in on the "freeze" option. All the Kramer switchers I have ever used have had a "freeze" button. This is very helpful for keeping a static image while prepping the next slide or video. When you only have a single computer with all the media, this is the easiest way to make that happen. I would hate to have to purchases a Roland V-1HD just because it has a "freeze" option.

Thanks for listening.

MarkThewessen

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Is there a way to put this on the request list?

KVI@BMD

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 5:20 pm

Bumping this in 2021 with a +1111111111111111111111

A freeze input with the option to save to internal storage. Very handy options for live events with PPT!

Ian Morrish

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:42 am

There is already capture program output to the media pool. Would be nice to capture any input.
I run a script to do the capture, set the media pool to player and then switch program out to the MP. Use this all the time on conference calls.
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2020/0 ... e-on-atem/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Return to Live Production