Blackmagic Video Assist Requests - Post Firmware 1.1

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Luis Boria

Blackmagic Video Assist Requests - Post Firmware 1.1

PostWed Nov 18, 2015 8:26 am

Now that Blackmagic released the first firmware with some good additions.

I would like to start a thread on feature request and improvements to existing features.

1. Histogram (Add feature to pop up in center screen)
2. Peaking (Change colors)
3. Zoom (Scroll Zoom instead of being centered)
4. DNxHD codec is still missing
5. 3D LUT (Allow split screen to view between log and LUT)
6. Thumbnails of recorded footage instead of scrolling thru footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luis B.
--------------------------
Pixel Art Films
www.pixelartfilms.com
Twitter/Instagram; @Pixelartfilms

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist Requests - Post Firmware 1.1

PostWed Nov 18, 2015 6:50 pm

DNxHD is coming, probably in the next upgrade, as this is a standard codec for the recorder part.

The rest of your list would be nice. I would like to see the zoom in set, by just double tapping the screen where you want to "zoom" in. My Nikon V3 works this way, quicker than scrolling.
I also would like "white" highlighting as one of the color options for focus peaking, my EVF has this option, and it is less distracting than red or green for me.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alexsey Baranez

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 8:22 am

It is necessary to add a function:
7. Set the Frame Rate 60i -> 24p / 30p, 50i -> 25p
Please note if recording is set to PF24/25/30 this will output with pulldown applied
24p will require 3:2 pulldown
25/30p will require 2:2 pulldown
This will embed the 25P/30P footage in a 50i/60i signal known as PsF. Pulldown removal options on input so will record as Progressive.
Sorry for my bad english
BMVA 5" + Canon EOS C100 mk2 + Canon XC10 ...

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Alexsey, the VA already converts PSF 24/25 to record as 1080p24-25 signal with the progressive frames restored. PSF is not really a pull down, but taking a 24/25p frames, and splitting them into 48/50p which looks like an interlaced signal (split frames), but it is not a true or pull down interlaced signal.
A 2/3 pulldown for 24-30PF would be nice, but then you would need an option to record as interlaced signal too.

The camera connected to the VA controls recording format, and frame rates. The VA is not designed to be up/down cross converter, that would add to,the units cost. You can quite easily do up/down cross conversion on your NLE or Resolve. The VA does take a UHD signal and record it as FHD to get full HD recoding from a 4K UHD signal in SDI (designed to work with the BM Micro Studio Camera, or similar camera, not DSLRs).

You are asking for a different product than the VA was designed to be, a simple, but excellent monitor and SD recorder to capiture the higher bit rate output from most cameras. But who knows, perhaps these features can be added with firmware upgrade, it the VA video processor will support this.

But, we are asking BM to take a $500 product and give it the functionality of a $1200-1500 product, like the Video Devices Pix 5 series, which is by necessity, is larger and heavier to give these functions.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mark Hanlen

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Man, I wish mine would ship.

Alexsey Baranez

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 6:04 pm

These functions there are in cheaper recorders (Atomos Samurai / Ninja).
Sorry for my bad english

mivali

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 6:36 pm

I just installed 1.1 in hope to finally get SDI trigger rec working with my Sony FS7. This is not the case and this product won't be useful for me until I get this working as well as HDMI trigger rec for my Sony A7S. Any ETA on these features to be enabled?

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 pm

Alexsey Baranez wrote:These functions there are in cheaper recorders (Atomos Samurai / Ninja).

You are right, forgot this. You can also get up/down and pull down removal with the Atomos Connect It adapters, covert a DSLR HDMI to SDI and get the pull down removed.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alexsey Baranez

PostFri Nov 20, 2015 5:04 am

Denny Smith wrote:
You are right, forgot this. You can also get up/down and pull down removal with the Atomos Connect It adapters, covert a DSLR HDMI to SDI and get the pull down removed.

Many camcorders have HDMI output only 50i/60i therefore, need a scheme (for C100):
Canon C100 1920*1080 24P -> HDMI 60i -> ( Blackmagic Video Assist 60i -> 3:2 pulldown -> 24p ProRes)

I checked on my C100 24p + Video Assist, the result is worse than a Atomos ninja (3:2 pulldown 60i->24P).
Sorry for my bad english

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 am

You are correct Alexsey, but a lot of,the older camcorders did not do a 2/3 Pulldown, they just outputed a interlaced signal 59.94(60)I, the AF 100 does this on its SDI output to have a broadcast standard output.
The only way to get a 24p signal out of it, is with a PSF24/25 output, which can be converted back to 24p on the Video Assist. The Atomos Connect It, has the same video processor features as the Ninja, so it will do a 2/3 pull down, if the signal is a 2/3 interlaced conversion from progressive. Not sure what the Canon 100 does to get an interlaced output.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alexsey Baranez

PostSun Nov 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Denny, I have a Atomos Connect H2S - yes it does 60i -> 23.970P. Why extra devices ??? I bought a video assist to get recorder 1920*1080 23.970 P without any extra devices!
Sorry for my bad english

Denny Smith

PostSun Nov 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Yes, I agree Alexsey, it would be nice to be able to record the 2/3 pull down directly as 23.97/24p or 30/p directly to the VA, perhaps a firmware update can add this.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alexsey Baranez

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 4:44 pm

I add another point. This problem is detected my two video assists.

8. Correct the problem with the display of the battery charge level: when you switch from the play mode to record the battery indicator (100-90%) to red (5-2%). If the video assist off and on - the battery returns to 100-90%.
Sorry for my bad english

Denny Smith

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Yes, my battery meters does the same thing. They are OK, if you stay in monitor/record mode, but going to play and back to record drops the battery display to red, even thou the batteries are good.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Fabien Perez

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi guys!

a little off topic but it may be a firmware issue so.. tell me if you got the same :

when I connect the VA to the bmcc and set bmcc to 25p, the va switch to 50i... no 25p ?
when I select other framerates it works perfectly.
I ve tried v1.0, v1.1 for VA and v1.8, v2.3 and v2.8.1 for BMCC : no change

I ve tried with bmpcc : no problem 1080p25 is ok

but, you know what .. if i set my bmcc sdi information to either <Guides> or <status> VA framerate switch to 1080p25p !

So this is imo, the first firmware issue i encounter.

the second issue is strange too :

with bmcc, VA Zebras works for 75 to 90 but stop displaying at 95 and 100.
with bmpcc, VA Zebras works for 75 to 95 but stop displaying at 100

Did i miss something ? is it only mine or we have two softwares problem to solve ?

cheers !
Video commercials and Cinema : Directing, lighting and Camera / editing.
Theater: Lighting Designer, Stage Management.
https://vimeo.com/inefab

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 6:57 am

I believe when you set the BMCC to 1080p24/25 and turn off the overlays, it will output a 2/3 pulldown interlaced (50/60i) signal for use with video switchers, the camera still records 1080P24/25 internally. Thismis why you are seeing the VA display 50i, as thismismwhatmthe camera is outputting. You can still record this output and use your Editing software to remove,the 2/3 pull down and restore the video back to 25p. The Pocket camera actually will output a 1080p24/25 signal (the Pocket camera used to do the same thing, but this was disabled in one of the firmware updates last year) which is why the VA displays 1080p25. When you turn overlays on, thr BMCC will output 24/25p again. BM needs to add the 2/3 pulldown removal to the VA via a firmware update hopefully.

As for Zebras, the camera zebra display shows clipping on the sensor readout, whereas the Video Assist is adding a Zebra overlay to the incoming 4.2.2 10-bit video signal it is receiving. So if you are recording on the VA, use the VA Zebra to set exposure, otherwise, use the camera Zebra display via overlays on to determine the correct exposure being recorded in the camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alexsey Baranez

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 pm

9. It would be great to add a display remaining time for recording on the SD card. This can be done by pressing the timecode or segment "card".
Sorry for my bad english

Fabien Perez

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 9:26 pm

10. it would be great to have 2:1 frameguides, i love this format, find it quite natural to my eyes;

cheers
Video commercials and Cinema : Directing, lighting and Camera / editing.
Theater: Lighting Designer, Stage Management.
https://vimeo.com/inefab

Thor Hampus Bank

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 3:55 pm

I would love the option to manually set the recorded framerate.

Using the Sony A7s I can only get 50fps in PAL mode and not 25 fps. If I change fomm PAL to NTSC I can set the HDMI output to either 60p or 24p but that gives me an image with a lot of flickering - we are in Denmark so the lights run on 50 hertz.
So I have no option to record 25fps! Really annoying :x

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Thor, what type of signal is the Siny A7s outputting on its HDMI when you are recording 25p @ 50kHz (Pal) setting? The camera is probably outputting a 1080PsF25 signal, which the Video Assist does not currently support (only 24PsF is currently supported on SDI) so the VA sees the signal as a 1080i50 (interlaced) signal, which you can record, and then convert back to 1080p25 in your NLE or with a third part plug in.
You should contact BM Service and request that 25PsF support be added to the VA HDMI input.

With an outboard recorder like the VA, the camera sets the recording frame rate and project timeline. Changing frame rates on the VA, while the camera outputs something different would result in over/under cranking on your recording, which is another feature all together.

It is interesting, the camera is outputting 1080p24, but not 1080p25, but again, it is a Sony. It is too bad that the industry can not get together on their signal output standards for new cameras, instead of crippling them with the old system used when progressive monitors/recorders were not available. But, Sony did not design the A7 to be used with outboard recorders, they want you to buy one of their more expensive FS series cameras to use instead. Sony (and Canon) has never supported their party accessories for their cameras until you get in their very expensive "Broadcast" line of equipment, which meets industry standards, like SDI outputs, etc.
Good luck
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alexsey Baranez

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 5:54 am

11. Adjust the color temperature ... 3200K ... 5500K ... 6500K ... .

12. You also need to increase the brightness of the shadow areas! Now it looks very dark !!!
Sorry for my bad english

Anthony Dugan

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello all, first time poster here.

I have an older Sony Z5U HDV camera (which I've barely used at all), but for which I am trying to breathe new life into by obtaining either a BM Video Assist or Atomos Ninja Blade in order to record an uncompressed HDMI signal, thereby eliminating the 25mbps 1440x1080 HDV codec.

I have two questions:

1) I shoot primarily in 24p and cinema gamma tones (for a film look), which the Sony HDV records as 60i frames with a built-in 2:3 pulldown. I import all of my footage into Adobe Premiere's CS6 editing platform and the footage, once imported into the sequence, eliminates the 2:3 pulldown allowing the footage to appear as 24p. Will the BM Video Assist automatically do the 2:3 pulldown for me from the Sony Z5U when I output the 60i signal as a 10 bit ProRes 4:2:2 into the BMVA? If not, then I suppose I can always have Premiere Pro automatically interpret the footage as progressive

2) Since I am using the Sony Z5U primarily to obtain ProRes 10 bit 4:2:2 220 mb/s data directly from the HDMI port, would it perhaps be more practical to obtain the Atomos H2S converter to act as a go-between for the two units in order to retain timecode from the Sony to the BM Video Assist via its 6G-SDI port? Will the timecode be transferred? But if I do this, that would be an additional $295 on top of the $495 for the BMVA unit. If that is the case, would the Atomos Ninja Blade (which has an HDMI input) be a better monitor/recorder choice in order to get the best bang for my buck using the Sony Z5U if it can already recognize the timecode from the Sony (if that is in fact the case)? I've read somewhere that the Ninja Blade has a built-in 60i to 24p 2:3 pulldown transcoder already built into its features? So, would the 24p be cleaner via the Ninja Blade's own built-in transcoder, or would Premiere Pro do a better job of transcoding the 60i into 24p using the BMVA?

I guess I'm a little confused at the BMVA's ability to record true progressive 24p from my Sony Z5U camera, so any assistance/expertise you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Alexsey Baranez

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 6:38 pm

1. In the 24P camera will give 60i, Video Assist will record 1920 * 1080 60i (above I wrote a request by point "7". I hope this will add, let us together ask for it).

2. Z5 is not able to transfer timecode! Atomos H2S passes timecode, but Z5 is a useless feature. Atomos H2S makes the 3:2 pulldown.
Atomos ninja best fit (he has a 3:2 pulldown).

BM making a big mistake not added 24P->60i HDMI->24pF 3:2 pulldown , 25 / 30pF 2:2 pulldown.

BM understand that because of that lose a lot of customers, and will add pulldown! If BM add pulldown - you'd better buy a Video Assist.

Sorry for my bad english ;)
Sorry for my bad english

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 6:40 am

The only conversion, the VA will do is 24PsF removal to get 24p recording on the SDI input only. Currently, it does not do the 60i2/3 pull down removal, or support PSF on the HDMI input.

Not sue if Atomos 2:3 pulldown removal is better or not result over Premier. If you NLE does the 2/3 pulldowm removal, I would go that route, as a computer has more muscle than a standalone converter, and it saves you $295.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ralph Pabst

PostSun Dec 13, 2015 3:23 pm

This is my first time on this forum so hopefully I'm not repeating something that has already been discussed.

I received my Video Assist on Friday and just want to clarify that while the VA "sees" the HDMI signal from a Canon C100 MK1 as 1080i 59.94 (no matter what frame rate is set in the camera), when the recorded files are imported into Premiere CC, they show up as being 1080i 29.97 - just like AVCHD PF30 files. It's simply a matter of right clicking on the files, choosing “modify” and then selecting "no fields”. So for the present, there is a viable way of using the Video Assist with a C100 as long as you can live without 24p.

Other Observations:

With the firmware update, the record trigger does works with the C100.
As others have said, the monitor is nice and sharp, but definitely green. And no option to adjust the color - just brightness, contrast, and chroma.

The one very cool thing that's not received a lot of attention is that the VA will take in an HDMI signal and pass it out as SDI. So while the VA monitor is pretty worthless for judging color, you can send the SDI to a professional reference monitor.

Sure wish Blackmagic would say something about possibly adding HDMI pulldown removal in future firmware updates. There's a lot to like about the VA, but the lack of 24p could be a deal breaker for me. I may end up sending it back for just this reason.

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 10:32 pm

The VA records 1080p24, the polblem is the Canon C100 can not output a 1080p24 signal. The VA on a SDI input does do a 24 PSF removal and records the signal as 24p. I hope BM adds the 2/3 pull down removal also.

Thanks for confirming the HDMI record trigger is working on HDMI input.

You can eliminate some of the green tint with the chroma setting, but I agree, a tint slider is also needed to correct the green cast tint with the saturation and brightness control to obtain a neutral while balance.
That said, try setting brightness to 60, contrast to 30 and saturation between 45-55. I got a fairly neutral display, which fairly clean whites from a properly WB camera, using a Vector scope to get camera WB set.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ralph Pabst

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 3:44 am

Denny Smith wrote:The VA records 1080p24, the polblem is the Canon C100 can not output a 1080p24 signal. The VA on a SDI input does do a 24 PSF removal and records the signal as 24p. I hope BM adds the 2/3 pull down removal also.

Thanks for confirming the HDMI record trigger is working on HDMI input.

You can eliminate some of the green tint with the chroma setting, but I agree, a tint slider is also needed to correct the green cast tint with the saturation and brightness control to obtain a neutral while balance.
That said, try setting brightness to 60, contrast to 30 and saturation between 45-55. I got a fairly neutral display, which fairly clean whites from a properly WB camera, using a Vector scope to get camera WB set.

No question the problem lies with the Canon C100's HDMI signal. Crossing my fingers that BMD will deal with this in a future firmware upgrade. It would be nice if they would give us a clue what future firmware upgrades (if any) they've got planned.

I've decided to keep the thing - for 500 bucks it will be handy for something. The green tint however is going to drive me crazy. I may just turn the chroma down to zero and use it as a B&W focus/framing assist. - just like the old days.

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Good idea, that is what I do. Actually, a Pro reference monitor is the only way to properly judge color quality on set, anyway. I am a,so hoping BM adds a single touch B/W ;monochrome)'option setting too, as B&W is better for judging exposure and composition anyway, you are not distracted by the colors, and focus is easier to pull and judge.

BM does not discuss future updates or unreleased products, rhey are very tight lipped on this. So we will just have to,wait and see what the future brings. They added many new and useful features to Pocket and Cinema camera since their initial release. So hear's hoping they do the same with the VA.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Anthony Dugan

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Gents,

First off, thanks for all of your input regarding the BM Video Assist's logistical capabilities. I've done some testing in the intervening two weeks since I first posted, and have come to the conclusion that either the BMVA or Atomos Ninja Blade would both suit my purposes (which is mainly to serve as a recording device allowing me to bypass the HDV codec and save my footage as ProRes 4:2:2 at 220 mb/s).

Since I import video footage using various sources at the moment (GoPro at 24fps, Canon 60D at 24fps and Sony Z5U at 60i), I was concerned about how the different 29.97 frame rate of the Sony Z5U would blend into Premiere Pro CS6 at 24p, but my concerns have been somewhat allayed.

As has been mentioned, the Sony Z5U records a 60i signal within a 2:3 pulldown wrapper to achieve the "look" of 24p, even though the final exported recording frame rate into NLE system or tape is 29.97p. This is so the image would look smoother on modern TVs that transmit at 60hz....which makes perfect sense (especially if you have no intention of projecting your final product at true 24p in a cinema on DCP)?

I just set my sequence in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 at 23.98 fps (progressive), and imported all of my footage from the GoPro (23.976 progressive), Canon (23.98 .MOV progressive) and Sony (29.97 progressive), and all the footage appears seamless, everything appearing as 24p throughout the timeline, once rendered.

For comparison's sake, I then created another project/sequence in Premiere Pro wherein I set the sequence frame rate to 29.97 (instead of 23.98 fps), and the Sony Z5U footage looked the same, both in appearance and in movement as when the 29.97 footage was imported into PP set at 23.98 fps.

I've projected the final footage onto a 120" screen with a high end Sony 1080p projector and the image looks good, using a Blu-Ray encode at 23.98 fps of my timeline as the video source.

So my choice ultimately comes down to the Video Assist vs Atomos Ninja Blade (both priced the same) as a means by which to bypass tape recording on my Sony Z5U. And the lack of timecode via the HDMI from the Sony is not much of an issue since I am not doing any ENG style work (where I have to match up slates and cuts in post). I can easily match the cuts between the various sources without the need of a timecode.

What I like about the Atomos is the fact that I can record onto less expensive SSD drives (as opposed to similar size SDXC memory cards), and have a built-in 2:3 pulldown from HDMI 60i if I want it. It also has the waveform, FA, peaking, etc, which is not a requirement for me since my Sony Z5U actually has a plethora of manual color/photographic/gamma tweaks, far more than the Atomos. And if I make all of the image adjustments within my Z5U's menu, then the resultant image will have already been properly calibrated and tweaked as it is relayed out to the Atomos, which in essence would strictly serve as a recorder and larger monitor.

If the Blackmagic Video Assist had the 2:3 pulldown from HDMI 60i already built into it, it would be the no brainer purchase because of the sharper 1920x1080 screen (vs. Atomos 1280x720), but the Atomos is sufficient enough at 720p AT 325dpi, and I believe the combination of the built-in pulldown, plus SSD drive 550 mb/s write speed, accessories, carrying case and that the Atomos Spyder calibration device (worth $150) for the monitor is currently thrown in for FREE as part of the $495 package at B & H, I would have to say that the Atomos Ninja Blade is the BEST deal at the moment FOR MY NEEDS.

Agreed?

Thanks again for your help gents!

AD

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 2:14 pm

First.

I'm dissapointed. :? I hope that the next update, the recorder will become more useful. After all, I do not understand the company's policies. The best sell, ragged product, encourage people to buy, and then force them to wait for updates. Very wrong.

Until things first:
1. Improve cooperation Triggering Timecode with FREERUN mode :o
2. Date/hour BUG. You can not set the time and the date. SAVE button does not save the settings.
3. Improve the continuous display timecode (currently it does not work well) :o
4. Improve the ability to record mode PF24, PF25, PF30. Currently set as 1080i and FPS50, :o
5. Add the LUT or even the ability to set the temperature in Kelvin, :o
6. There is a lack Zebra (please, minimum is 60 to 100)
7. The ability to change the name of the SD card and naming files.
8. When I play a file, I want to see which file number is currently playing, the last or some other.
9. Ability to remove selected files from the SD card,
10. Ability to move the frame in Zoom mode.
11. False color, PLEASE !!!
12. More compatibility SD card.
13. The available recording time on the SD card, in addition to free space in GB.
That's all for now. People from Blackmagic. Gather feedback from users, because they are the most important and not cash. Customer satisfaction is the most important, making money is only the second place.

Waiting for the next firmware 1.2. Hi
Last edited by Krzysztof Sobieranski on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
iSLATE

Anthony Botta

PostFri Dec 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Some features I would like to see (sorry if already mentioned):

- Ability to see how many clips you have reordered and maybe a thumbnail view of them. But at least something that tells what clip you are on when viewing and how many total clips.

- An icon that tells you when you are connected to power or battery. It would be nice to know in case the power cord accidentally gets pulled out, that an icon changes so you know you've switched to battery power.

- Remaining recording time, as someone mentioned, would also be helpful.

- Also the record icon is a little confusing. It remains red but changes from circle to square when recording. Would be nice if it wasn't red one not recording. At first I thought I was recording but wasn't.

I also noticed the timecode is sometimes in correct when playing back videos. I use time of day as time code on the camera. When recording, this shows correctly. When playing back, it is some other arbitrary number as the timecode. Not sure why.

Thanks,

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 3:12 am

1. Time Code triggering was added to HDMI input in Ver 1.1, is this not working with the C100?
4. PSF support is offered for PsF24 via SDI only. Res, this should be expanded to work on HDMI.
7. It would be quicker to rename the SD card via a computer. MetData could be added to ID clips, as it does on the Pocket Camera. File names, however are date/time stamped, as they are in BM cameras.
8. The scrub slider shows which approximate location of which file/clip is playing, as they are displayed as a single clip, with the ability to move the scrub bar to see/play the clip, i.e. Just go back to the first clip and play cackle all clips recorded that day. (Only works for clips recorded at the same frame rate).
9. Not a good idea, causes SD card file continuity issues similar to fragmenting on hard drives, recycling card recording rate.
12. Sad card compatibility is a SD card manufactor's issue, not BM. SD cards need to be able to record a fast data rates that 1080p24-60 fps require. BM just tests the card to determine that they can do this.

However, Your Other ideas are good.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi. Thanks Denny Smith for your suggestions.

Haha...another problem noticed yesterday, during testing Blackmagic Video Assist.

14. On battery power, when the card is changed, an indication that the battery currently in use at the level
eg. 65%, can suddenly show 10-0% on a red field. If you turn off and turn on the device, use the battery again
shows 65%. (this is an example).

New firmware, PLEASE! :-)
iSLATE

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:1. Time Code triggering was added to HDMI input in Ver 1.1, is this not working with the C100?
4. PSF support is offered for PsF24 via SDI only. Res, this should be expanded to work on HDMI.
7. It would be quicker to rename the SD card via a computer. MetData could be added to ID clips, as it does on the Pocket Camera. File names, however are date/time stamped, as they are in BM cameras.
8. The scrub slider shows which approximate location of which file/clip is playing, as they are displayed as a single clip, with the ability to move the scrub bar to see/play the clip, i.e. Just go back to the first clip and play cackle all clips recorded that day. (Only works for clips recorded at the same frame rate).
9. Not a good idea, causes SD card file continuity issues similar to fragmenting on hard drives, recycling card recording rate.
12. Sad card compatibility is a SD card manufactor's issue, not BM. SD cards need to be able to record a fast data rates that 1080p24-60 fps require. BM just tests the card to determine that they can do this.

However, Your Other ideas are good.

1 . NOT WORK, unfortunately. I tested 3 cameras C100 (no DAF). This means that currently recorder can not be used for work. :-(

Regards.
iSLATE

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 6:01 pm

This is interesting, Canon is embedding the time code in such a way the VA is not detecting it. HDMI time code trigger is working with Panasonic GH4, as has been previously posted elsewhere. Yet, another Canon issue, or you have something not quite set up right with your camera.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Anthony Botta

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 8:01 pm

I think another nice feature would be a lock screen function (like atomos has) so you don't accidentally hit stop recording. Just a thought.

Alexsey Baranez

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 10:06 am

Krzysztof Sobieranski wrote:
1 . NOT WORK, unfortunately. I tested 3 cameras C100 (no DAF). This means that currently recorder can not be used for work. :-(

Regards.

On my camera Canon EOS C100 works recording control C100 -> BMVA 1.1

Menu > Other Function>HDMI
TimeCode - ON
Rec Command - ON
My review Blackmagic Video Assist 1.1 + Canon EOS C100 + Atomos H2S(in Russian):
Sorry for my bad english

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 12:16 am

Thanks Alexsey, for confirming the VA works with th C100, and HDMI T/C triggering is working.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostSun Jan 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Thank you for the example Alexsey Baranez, but unfortunately, for me does not work recording the
C100 via HDMI, you can see it on film. So, we have two opposing movies.

But before, ALEXSEY, first let's explain whether your camera C100 is a model with or without DAF, because that could be a key issue. My camera for a model without DAF !!! After my tests, it appears that
the first version of the Canon C100 without DAF does not support HDMI Trigger.

Note the VideoAssist has uploaded firmware 1.1 and the camera, ist the latest firmware.
Well, it seems that I have a faulty copy of either, i do not know what. I have one piece of information.
My friend has two cameras C100 and a recording acts and the other does not, could it be a coincidence?

What to do, i do not understand? :?

Please - HELP!!!
p.s.
1. I note that the camera easily works with the recorder Atomos Ninja2, and there's an HDMI Trigger record works flawlessly.
2. I did a downgrade to version 1.0, and re-update to version 1.1. Unfortunately, nothing helped. :(
iSLATE

Denny Smith

PostSun Jan 03, 2016 10:43 pm

Are you trying to use Time Code run triggering or Camera triggering start/stop command mode, which is a SDI start/stop mode? You can only use T/C triggering on HDMI.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostSun Jan 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Are you trying to use Time Code run triggering or Camera triggering start/stop command mode, which is a SDI start/stop mode? You can only use T/C triggering on HDMI.

I do not really understand, you can see in the video that it was the T/C trigger.
I'm doing exactly what Aleksey.

Regards
iSLATE

Denny Smith

PostSun Jan 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Sorry, did not watch your video, you have Video Assist set correctly. My guess it is a difference in the two models. I,know,the original C100 did not output T/C via HDMI, even with new camera firmware giving a menu option for this, if the camera hardware does not support t/C out the HDMI, the firmware is not going to add that feature. You should contact Canon and see if this is the difference between these two models. Since your friends newer C100 works with the VA, it is not an issue with the VA, but with the older model of the C100.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostSun Jan 03, 2016 11:49 pm

Dear users.

Problem has been solved :D. It turned out that the problem lies in setting feature,
counting the timecode on the camera Canon C100. Recording was not activated,
because the timecode was set to FREERUN and not as RECRUN. It's great that
who any of this mentioned in the description of the firmware 1.1. Few people
probably have just set the RECRUN TC so, no one thought to check it out.

Sorry for the confusion.

However, you might want to record work well in Freerun mode, as Atomos Ninja2
not me with this problem.

So. Blackmagic Video Assist T / C trigger runs on C100 without and with DAF,
but you have to remember to set a timer timecode as RECRUN.

Regards Chris
iSLATE

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 am

Great news Krzysztof, I almost asked you this question, and this is covered in the new BM Video Assist handbook that comes with the 1.1 update. You need to set T/C to record run, not free run mode in most cameras. In free run mode, the VA could just start recording and not stop until the card is full.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alexsey Baranez

PostTue Jan 05, 2016 7:56 am

Krzysztof Sobieranski wrote:Dear users.

Problem has been solved :D. It turned out that the problem lies in setting feature,
counting the timecode on the camera Canon C100. Recording was not activated,
because the timecode was set to FREERUN and not as RECRUN. ...

Regards Chris

Yes it is true, you need to install RECRUN!

Record trigger will work with settings:

1. Menu > Other Function>HDMI
TimeCode - ON
Rec Command - ON

2. Menu > Other Function>HDMI
TimeCode - ON
Rec Command - OFF

Sorry for my bad english

Michelbosch

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi fellow VA users,

I'm kinda stuck: I use the VA with my Sony FS7, in PAL settings.
I actually get video input through HDMI, but NOT through the original BM SDI cables. It does not 'see' the camera (not even in NTSC system settings). just for the record, the SDI outputs on my FS7 both work fine with other monitors.

Another strange thing: I was hoping to also use it as external 10 bit recorder for my Panasonic GH4. I will only get it to 'see' the GH4 however in NTSC mode, not in PAL. Really confusing and not very practical, as I live and work in Holland, PAL country.

All of this just doesn't make sense. Why will it work in PAL settings on the FS7 with HDMI connection, but NOT with the GH4???
Also, I mean why bother selling the VA in Europe, if it'll only work properly with NTSC settings??

Any useful info, would help. As things are now, I feel like I maybe got a bad unit..

Best regards,

Michel

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 6:25 pm

These types of issues are not so much the VA, but rather how the Sony and Panasonic GH4 are handeling their output while in "Pal" 50hZ mode. The VA has specific input resolution/frame rates it can accept, and the camera needs to be able to output one of these. Also camera menu settings can be effecting the output, see the issue above over time code outputting. Double check your camera settings that control the camera output, and that you are using a 6G high bandwidth SDI cable also, I tried using an older cable, that would not pass through a HD/UHD signal, worked with SD, but not the higher resolution/frame rates.

Pal and NTSC sync differences really are SD analog TV specifications, today in HD cameras you are only setting the sync frequency, 50 or 60hZ rates, the frame rates are based on, which is important when shooting under artificial mains lighting, to eliminate image "flickering" caused by certain types of new lighting equipment.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Randel

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 11:22 am

Hi all,

As already complaint in another thread, I am really dissappointed, that the recording of up to 16 embedded audio channels in SDI has not been delivered!

At least my unit cannot redcord more than 2 channels (SDI) - can anyone proof me wrong?

Not long ago, the blackmagic website and the old manual clearly statet, that an Audio Input of "16 channels embedded in SD and HD in QuickTime files" would be possible.
If you google the Video Assist on well known sites & online shops (eg. B&H) you will still find that info their (B&H even has the old manual available)...

What happened ?!

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Chris, I hope also, this gets addressed/resolved. But, you already brought this up in a thread about VA Audio issues; and got a reply from BM Rep. Tony Rivera, see: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41281&p=252662#p252662

I am adding this link for others to see, rather than repeat what has been said elsewhere.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jacques Hoepffner

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 6:46 am

Hello,
I just bought a video assist for my GH4 with a broken card reader. I bought the camera in canada, but I normally use it in 25p. What can I say:
– works in 30p and 60p
– doesn't works in 25p or 50p directly but if I pass the HDM signal through a HDMI switcher, it works (ATEN HDMI switcher VS481a)
– works in 23,98p
For the moment I work in 23,98, not too far from 25 to avoid too much light flicker and to mix il with 25in FCPX.
I hope for a future firmware able to correct the 25p ingest but I am very happy with the quality of images, both viewed and recorded.
Jacques Hoepffner
Next

Return to Getting Started