SSD Card Reader

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Markkro88

SSD Card Reader

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi,
I am ordering a SanDisk SSD card, but I need a reader since you cant plug the camera into the iMac to grab the footage. Which reader do you guys suggest I get?

Thanks,

Mark

David

Re: SSD Card Reader

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm using the New Technology Voyager Q. Works a treat. I've seen a couple of reviews where people have been getting dud's that needed to be replaced but mine has given me no grief whatsoever. I'm using Sandisk extreme 240gb and 2011 imac.
Last edited by David on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Markkro88

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Can provide me with a link to where I can purchase one?

David

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

David Daniel
Dilettante

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 6:25 pm

This is very interesting for apple users... Sata to thunderbolt adapter :

http://www.alza.sk/seagate-freeagent-go ... 355584.htm

Proce about 120 eur
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Markkro88

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 6:34 pm

I found one for 95.00 USD..will it be compatible with Sandisk?

http://www.antonline.com/p_STAE128-GA_1 ... 4AodMjEAyA

David

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 pm

yep
David Daniel
Dilettante

Mickey Carson

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 6:55 am

I have one and it works better than the drive in my Mac

Andrea Cecchini

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Seagate GoFlex is the best solution. you must also consider 50€ thunderbolt cable.

Kingsley Paul

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm

I want to confirm if we can use media express to capture video directly from BMCC through thunderbolt port.

sean mclennan

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 3:51 pm

yes, using thunderbolt and media express you can capture directly on your mac.

HOWEVER

You still need to ensure your hard drive is fast enough to perform that task.

If you're trying to do full rez capture on a MBP, with a single hard drive, while running the operating system and some heavy apps (like adobe) you are probably going to drop frames. Just make sure you free up the demands on your hard drive as much as possible to maximize your capture performance.

Kingsley Paul

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 6:03 pm

sean mclennan wrote:yes, using thunderbolt and media express you can capture directly on your mac.

HOWEVER

You still need to ensure your hard drive is fast enough to perform that task.

If you're trying to do full rez capture on a MBP, with a single hard drive, while running the operating system and some heavy apps (like adobe) you are probably going to drop frames. Just make sure you free up the demands on your hard drive as much as possible to maximize your capture performance.

Thank Sean, But if we have the MAC with SSD hard drive, hope it will solve the problem...

sean mclennan

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 7:03 pm

you can check first.

Download the software for the BMCC for Mac from the BM website. In that package is the Blackmagic Disc Speed Test utility. Run that software on the system you want to use and it will show you exactly what kind of performance you can expect.

Cheers
sean

Jarateng

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Does anybody know if a Samsung ssd card is ok? BnH recommended it to someone who was getting it for me for the BMC of which I'm still waiting for...:(

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 am

Jarateng wrote:Does anybody know if a Samsung ssd card is ok? BnH recommended it to someone who was getting it for me for the BMC of which I'm still waiting for...:(

Nope. Samsung changed the Firmware, which apparently created some problems when using them with a Blackmagic Cinema Camera. For this reason, Blackmagic Design has taken the Samsung SSDs from their list of recommended drives a while ago: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 542&os=mac
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Jarateng

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Jarateng wrote:Does anybody know if a Samsung ssd card is ok? BnH recommended it to someone who was getting it for me for the BMC of which I'm still waiting for...:(

Nope. Samsung changed the Firmware, which apparently created some problems when using them with a Blackmagic Cinema Camera. For this reason, Blackmagic Design has taken the Samsung SSDs from their list of recommended drives a while ago: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 542&os=mac

Bummer !
They sold this to my guy in November and they said it would work :(((
Thanks Christian...

sean mclennan

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 pm

If it's unopened, they should take it back.

Nick Bedford

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 am

I have a USB3 eSATA dock however it needs power which I didn't consider when buying it. If I can have a completely mobile solution, that would be best so I'm probably going to get the GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter to be able to run without battery.

Of course, if I need to power my laptop, I can easily use the USB3 dock but out in the field on short shoots I'll need a bus-powered solution.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 am

Nick Bedford wrote:I have a USB3 eSATA dock however it needs power which I didn't consider when buying it. If I can have a completely mobile solution, that would be best so I'm probably going to get the GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter to be able to run without battery.

Of course, if I need to power my laptop, I can easily use the USB3 dock but out in the field on short shoots I'll need a bus-powered solution.

Nick, on the other popular forum for BMCC users, there is a thread about SSDs which is indicating the GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter works fine with the Sandisk Extreme 240GB drive but has not worked at all with the Sandisk Extreme 480GB drive that BMD recommends. Until we have a better understanding, it might be safest to hold off on the GoFlex TB adapter unless you plan to stay with the smaller capacity drives.

Would be great if someone from BMD can comment on the adapters they tested with the recommended Sandisk 480GB Extreme SSD.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 5:54 pm

satyablack wrote:I want to confirm if we can use media express to capture video directly from BMCC through thunderbolt port.

Yes, 1080p (not 2.5K) video. Details are in the BMCC user manual:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 pm

satyablack wrote:I want to confirm if we can use media express to capture video directly from BMCC through thunderbolt port.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want that? Strikes me as pretty cumbersome to be tethered to a laptop and AC power.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would you want that? Strikes me as pretty cumbersome to be tethered to a laptop and AC power.

Cumbersome for most shoots, perhaps, but for some shoots it may be useful (for example) to record 2.5K RAW in-camera and 1080p ProRes on the laptop (for backup, proxies, etc.) -- assuming that's possible. The laptop can operate on its internal battery as needed. Certain shooters have been working this way for years using other formats.

Of course, using an external HD-SDI recorder (e.g.: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2) is another approach.

Kingsley Paul

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Frank Glencairn wrote:

Cumbersome for most shoots, perhaps, but for some shoots it may be useful (for example) to record 2.5K RAW in-camera and 1080p ProRes on the laptop (for backup, proxies, etc.) -- assuming that's possible. The laptop can operate on its internal battery as needed. Certain shooters have been working this way for years using other formats.

Of course, using an external HD-SDI recorder (e.g.: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2) is another approach.

Thanks Frank & Peter for your inputs, I was just checking if we can do away with the dock and incorporate BMC directly into the workflow. But for RAW anyhow we need a dock to transfer content.

Whitehorsevideo

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 4:19 am

Yeah, Newer Tech Voyager is a winner. Formats my Crucial SSDs no sweat and then you can use naked SATA (internal) HDs for project backup. Definately the hip solution for cheapskates like me. Firewire 800, so archive only, not an edit dock.

UPDATE!
Now useing Sonnet 2-Port Tempo SATA Pro 6 Gb ExpressCard/34 to connect the Voyager via eSata. Blazing fast!

hstrswy

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Hey guys, I've just ordered a Blackmagic Cinema Camera and I was hoping for some advice. I've tried to get as much information on the relevant forum posts as possible but was unsure about a couple of things.

I've been looking at these approved SSDs -

Kingston Technology 480GB Solid State Drive V300 SATA 3 (£205)

HyperX 480GB SATA3 3K 2.5-inch Gaming SSD Drive (£260)

SanDisk Extreme 480GB SATA 6GB/s 7200rpm 2.5-inch Internal SSD (£362).

The price difference is quite large, will the Kingston everything the others will?

I also need a SSD reader, what is the minimum/ideal write speed required be?

Will these work well?

Inateck USB 3.0 Hard Drives Docking Station for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch SATA

Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5inch HDD & SSD

ICY DOCK 2.5/3.5 Inch SATA USB Dock

I really appreciate any help any one can offer

Bill Hall

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Angelbird has a cable and adapter solution. total $ 54.00

C-SATA data cable and USB-A_C adapter. easy solution for reading SSD's with Mac

David Johnson

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Best SSD drives i have found and great price is the Samsung EVO 500GB Amazon around £125
Reader you can get the C-Fast and SSD drive reader for only £12.99 same place (Rocketek CFast 2.0 Card Reader + USB 3.0 to SATA Converter Cable Adapter)

All working perfect on the URSA.

John Simpson

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 3:10 am

Bill Hall wrote:Angelbird has a cable and adapter solution. total $ 54.00

C-SATA data cable and USB-A_C adapter. easy solution for reading SSD's with Mac

I have this cable... works well. Its USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) and plugs into any Thunderbolt port (have tested with current 2018 Macbook Pro)... and doesn't require external power. My only gripe is it wont plug into C-fast cards so still require a reader for that.
JJ Simpson
Photographer
Brisbane Australia

Bill Hall

PostThu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm

I am using the angelbird ssd cable, works well. I have not had an ssd that I could not read. 500gb, 1 tb and 4 tb ssd's have been used.

FKPhotography

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 10:03 am

David Johnson wrote:Best SSD drives i have found and great price is the Samsung EVO 500GB Amazon around £125
Reader you can get the C-Fast and SSD drive reader for only £12.99 same place (Rocketek CFast 2.0 Card Reader + USB 3.0 to SATA Converter Cable Adapter)

All working perfect on the URSA.

Is this the one? Samsung 850 EVO MZ 75E500 500GB, ebay are selling them new for a hundred quid which sounds great. Would these be good for the UMP 4.6k shooting Raw?
Ferhan Khan Photography
Web: https://www.fkphotography.info
Inst: https://www.instagram.com/fkphoto007/
FB: https://www.facebook.com/fkphoto007/
---------------------------------------------------
60D | 70D | 5DIII |5DSR | GH5 | UM46K

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 2:42 am

In my experience the EVO version works fine (I'm not using the SSD recorder, but a home-made solution). I'm using the same enclosure for reading, btw, though it's only USB-3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cg1pnb1w5ob9 ... e.jpg?dl=0

But some others have reported you should have the Pro version.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Cinematography