Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Training Videos

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ken Turner

Re: Fusion Training Videos

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 pm

MiriamMorgan wrote:Hello All!

TOTAL newbie here, checking out Fusion 7 after successfully completing a project from Toon Boom Harmony and After Effects. I'm pleased with the results, but would like to run the layers of this animation sequence through Fusion 7 because I'm excited about its capabilities.

But herein is where I have run into a problem. I've checked out the "Getting Started" videos, and understand pretty well how to use nodes, etc. I was able to import a PNG sequence and apply a drop shadow effect. Great! Now I want to add another sequence to play with that one. So I go "file, import", get that imported, but can no longer see the first imported sequence, so I cannot link them together.

Does that make any sense? Clearly I'm missing some really obvious thing, but it's so obvious that apparently I can't see it. Is there a beginner tutorial somewhere that will walk me through, step-by-step, how to import all the elements of a composition one by one so I can begin linking them together?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Miriam

Confusingly you don't use "file import." That creates a new project your with footage. (The old project is still there since fusion supports multiple projects open at the same time )
To add a new loader for your footage just think of it being a new node so:
  • Right click on the flow window > chose 'add tool' > I/O > Loader
  • Click on the bin button on the bar at the top. (it looks like a filing cabinet ) > chose Tools > I/O > Loader.
  • Drag a loader direcly from the quickmenu bar at the top of the screen. Simply click and drag the "LD" button on to the flow window.

Check the "adding tools" section in the fusion manual for more info.
Fusion tips http://www.designimage.co.uk/category/compositing/fusion/

Ioannis Sariktzis

PostWed Mar 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Hi people i am new on Fusion so i am looking for any free tutorials that gives access to downoload also the project files to excercise more.

Thanks a lot.

I cant wait when Resolve may have basic compositing tools for easy jobs.
Kind Regards,
Ioannis Sariktzis
Colourist
MA of Arts Film and Television of National Film and Television School
LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/iscolourist
Vimeo: vimeo.com/iscolourist

Vito La Manna

ConFusion TBTutorial LeBucksRing TEASER

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 7:31 am

I would like to announce the beginning of my theme based tutorials (TBT) with the first teaser of
LeBucksRing from the Pirate Chronicles.
What u see here is all done in Fusion 7.7 (except skull model and skull animation).

Support me and ConFusion by spreading the word.

Vito

cmivfx

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Hey guys,

cmiVFX has a ton of new Fusion material coming out... and lots that exist.

We are also hiring more people for what will be a major content storage for free people and paid mentors.

So if you want to sell your fusion training email me at jobs@cmivfx.com

(cmiVFX basically was the first ever fusion training and will be the last one standing as long as i have breath left in my body. ;)

our pay is the highest in the biz, so dont be shy.

also we take feature requests.... nothing is too crazy. email info@cmivfx.com

cheers all

GOING TO NAB? let me know
-c

Alkesh Nanavaty

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 pm

I am doing a live webinar of fusion at 11:15 on moviola.com

It's in depth about functionality, UI, workflow etc..

Hi Rony,
Is this webinar available as a re-broadcast? There is a "rent" button on moviola Website, but when I click, it asks me to log in, although I am already logged in.

Regards,

Alkesh.
Regards,

Alkesh
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlkesh007

mykolas.sadauskas

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Very nice tutorials. I am using Fusion quite a while but still - a lot of stuff you show is just fresh air to me, thank you (bought first two tutorials already).
Regards,

Miko

Richard Culver

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 6:42 am

ken Turner wrote:I've made a short tutorial on using modifiers and expressions to create a film damage look.

Hey Ken, Great tutorial. Thanks for doing this. :)

Corey Ryan Hanson

PostTue May 05, 2015 3:18 pm

Anyone know an alternate way to access the Fusion tutorials on the BM site? While it was working fine several days ago, it appears that there is a bug in the tutorial section of the site creating a barrage of autoplays that makes them impossible to watch. I tried stealing the url from the source, but can't get past the privacy settings...

Vladimir LaFortune

PostSat Jul 18, 2015 12:41 pm

I mentioned in other tutorial thread that I stumbled upon my old Fusion tutorial collection. I think I have every Eyeon tutorial video there from their official Fusion 5 training to some tutorials they released for Fusion 6. That's from back in the day when I was getting familiar with the Fusion and got my gig as AE alternative guy.

I don't know what is the IP policy within Blackmagic regarding free to watch videos made by Eyeon. If anyone can clarify the subject here that would be awesome.

Filippo Rotatori

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 11:07 am

thanks for help!!!!!

Mikhail Korovyansky

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Would be nice to have a complete scripting guide for Fusion and Generation.. I've spent some time before I found some commands just to submit comp to renderManager, so if we will have a full scripting reference with all aspects - would be cool!

djlithium

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 9:17 pm

We have some training videos for Fusion 6.x over at Liberty3d . com that you may want to check out.
We are working on Fusion 7/8 training right now.

liberty3d. com store training jeremys-videos

Robert Siebert

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Here is the current new FU one, i think not only for Lightwave user ;)

http://www.liberty3d.com/2015/09/fusion ... e-artists/

Hope this CG and Fusion series goes one....

Stefan Ihringer

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 9:41 am

I don't wanna sound ungrateful because people producing Fusion tutorials is a great thing. But those screenshots never show an enabled LUT button which I find suspicious for a CG integration tutorial. It's probably not demonstrating a linear workflow.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Mikhail Korovyansky

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 11:17 am

Stefan Ihringer wrote:I don't wanna sound ungrateful because people producing Fusion tutorials is a great thing. But those screenshots never show an enabled LUT button which I find suspicious for a CG integration tutorial. It's probably not demonstrating a linear workflow.

absolutely agree... more than that eyeon was never showed it in theirs tutorials and this is not less weird.. A number of really good tutrials about fusion is not more than a number of fingers on one hand..

David Banks

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 2:06 pm

There are some good basic tutorials over on Tale2Tell by Andrew Devis who has some excellent Aftereffects tutorials on Creative Cow.

http://tale2tell.com/fusion-tutorials/

Also he is starting to do some Resolve stuff too. Has a very clear teaching style and has tailored these for the beginner. Some good motion graphic stuff as well which is good to see coming from an Aftereffects guy.

Dave.

Chad Capeland

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:I don't wanna sound ungrateful becaus people producing Fusion tutorials is a great thing. But those screenshots never show an enabled LUT button which I find suspicious for a CG integration tutorial. It's probably not demonstrating a linear workflow.

One of the things I don't like about video tutorials is that they don't correct mistakes because it's too hard to go back and redo them. But hey, if you're SELLING them, then suck it up, be a responsible business, and fix it.

Text + image tutorials are much easier to correct.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Alkesh Nanavaty

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 3:29 am

Purely out of my interest as a hobbyist, I have posted a few tutorials on my youtube channel. I am not in the profession, but love the learning process. There are great tutorials on youtube, and some of the users of this forum have made nice scripts/macros/video tutorials... so thanks for that!

I have embarked on a new tutorial series using Resolve, Mocha, SynthEyes, Maya, Houdini, zBrush, and Fusion to create a Dark of the Moon type VFX shot. Let's see how that works out!
Regards,

Alkesh
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlkesh007

mikeharper

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 1:24 am

Its geared for editors but cover the basics at http://moviola.com/webinars/exploring-m ... tegration/
Cheers
Computer specs are boring!
Mike Harper
Tvnet360 llc

Dennis Beswick

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 8:34 pm

David Banks wrote:There are some good basic tutorials over on Tale2Tell by Andrew Devis who has some excellent Aftereffects tutorials on Creative Cow.

http://tale2tell.com/fusion-tutorials/

Also he is starting to do some Resolve stuff too. Has a very clear teaching style and has tailored these for the beginner. Some good motion graphic stuff as well which is good to see coming from an Aftereffects guy.

Dave.

Awesome! Thanks!

Luke Swain

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 10:01 am

Getting started with Fusion, and the links/recommendations provided have been wonderful so far. A HUGE thank you to everyone who's contributed so far!

Salvo Triolo

PostSat Dec 05, 2015 3:14 pm

If no one just mentioned it...serious learning stuff here:

https://www.fxphd.com/store/fxphd/fusio ... -workshop/

Chris Duncan

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm also brand new to Fusion, coming from a very moderate skill level in After Effects. I didn't see this one on the list and found it useful, so I thought I'd share.

I recall reading somewhere that new forum users are not allowed to post links until they've been around long enough for moderators to approve of their posts. So, you can search YouTube for "Blackmagic Fusion: LANDSCAPE TUTORIAL PT1" - it's a two part tutorial.

Hope it's useful!

Chris
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Fusion version 8.1.1 Build 3
Resolve 17.4.2
HyperDeck Shuttle 2, Utility version 4.4

Chris Duncan

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Happy to have the videos, but is there any reason you have your Vimeo player hardwired to not allow full screen? Makes the lean back experience a bit more difficult.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Resolve 17.4.2

Damien Magee

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 6:57 am

For anyone that is a complete beginner like me, I found this really good on Amazon,
Blackmagic Design Fusion 7 Studio: A Tutorial Approach it says kindle edition, but just downloaded the Kindle app on my tablet and it worked fine!

Chris Duncan

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 5:24 pm

That's why I love the Kindle format. I can install the app on my iPhone, iPad, iPod and PC and read my books on any of them. I don't own an actual Kindle device.

Kindle is also my preference over paper when it's tech, since books tend to be outdated in a few years. Of course, if it's something I know I'll want to keep around for decades (e.g. Illusions / Richard Bach), I buy it in paper. Otherwise, Kindle is a really nice option.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Daniel Beck

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 1:34 am

Corey Ryan Hanson wrote:Anyone know an alternate way to access the Fusion tutorials on the BM site? While it was working fine several days ago, it appears that there is a bug in the tutorial section of the site creating a barrage of autoplays that makes them impossible to watch. I tried stealing the url from the source, but can't get past the privacy settings...

Sorry this took so long, but I'm very new here.
The videos shown in that training page are on the YouTube channel "Eyeon". Just look in the Playlists tab. I have also put together a playlist of my current favorites as a new Fusion user in my YouTube channel under "Dartanbeck" channel playlists.
Somebody has mentioned Andrew Devis' "tale2tell" fusion tutorials which is, indeed, an excellent starter series and he (Andrew Devis) also has a YouTube channel with most, if not all, of those videos as well.
"Dartanbeck" ~ DAZ 3D Published Artist ~ Carrara Pro Animation Enthusiast

Tom Madisson

PostFri Mar 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi guys,
I'm very new to Fusion and am wanting to simply have a colour animated in the background masked by a bitmap. I having real trouble though getting my head round how the software wants me to execute the effect.

I've got half way there by getting a block of colour in the background to move across the screen, masked by a bitmap BUT the problem I have is that the colour of the block isn't the colour I intended (it's black, not red). Basically it's the same sort of thing as a karaoke style wording :?

I need a title in the foreground but I even seem to be struggling with that at the moment. There are some other things but if I can get these sorted the others may fit into place.

Attached to this post is a picture of the current node set up.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and look forward to your response.
Tom
Attachments
fusion.png
fusion.png (129.95 KiB) Viewed 423662 times

Daniel Beck

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 9:27 pm

I'm not sure why nobody's answering your question, except that the folks that truly know how to help you probably never look in 'this' thread since they likely no longer need help finding tutorials.

It looks to me like the Solid Color in the right viewer may be the cause of the black instead of red, but I cannot tell what all of those nodes are or what they're doing. Perhaps if you put some text onto your image explaining what the nodes are, and what they're doing?

In the post just above yours, I mention that I have a playlist assembled at my YouTube channel which likely has the answers you seek.
"Dartanbeck" ~ DAZ 3D Published Artist ~ Carrara Pro Animation Enthusiast

Tom Madisson

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 9:08 am

Thank you v much Daniel, I will check that out!

michael vorberg

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm

maybe you should have started a own thread instead of asking in this one

i'm not shure what you want to achieve in the end, but lets go through your comp:

you create a red background and feed that into a bitmap mask, thats not how it works. the bitmap mask outputs a only a b/w mask (only alpha channel) and not a masked background.
if you need a masked background you must feed a mask into the background node

the yellow input of the bitmap mask gets the image you want to use a mask shape (i guess the loader "alphaBitmap")
then the output of that mask would go into the background node ("solidColour")
now you have your red image masked by the bitmap
this can now be merged over/under the the text

Mohith Mohan

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 7:22 am

Hi guys ,
I have made few tutorials in fusion. Do check them out my Youtube channel. Since i cannot insert a link in the post.

Do search for " Thenika fusion tutorials ".

Hope its helpful.

-
Mohith
Regards

Mohith Mohan Kalayil

Sander de Regt

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 9:14 pm

You cannot post links yet, until you have more posts on this forum, so I'll do it for you.

Check out the tutorials at

https://www.youtube.com/user/mmohithster

Thank you for participating in the Fusion community.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sam Steti

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi there,

Don't know how i really "landed" here in this thread, but I'd like to say that I really love the Thenika accent ;) However please don't misinterpret my words, this has nothing to do with mocking him or whatever (how could I, I'm french :D ), but his accent - easy to understand btw - is cool, and his tutorials are not bad for beginners.
So thank you and keep the good work
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Mohith Mohan

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Thank you Sam Steti, I am Indian( the accent) :D. I will be making more videos. Thank you for the encouragement.
Regards

Mohith Mohan Kalayil

Sam Steti

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Yep, keep on finding cool examples and the way you feel like making it... (and I was about to say "keep this cool accent", but of course you will :D )...
I know a lot of guys interested in joining a node way to work, after years of "layers", it may be a track for your tutorials.
I really encourage you, yes, because what I saw was promising I think.
Keep on spreading your Fusion feeling
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Eugene Afanasiev

PostTue May 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I'd love the Blackmagic site would have advanced explanations and real world examples on how to use not just how a single tool works but a combination of tools that new users certainly unaware of.
To me it is always the best practice to see the technic in application to the real life example, not in theory not in the overall overview etc.

Cause what I've seen so far is this if to simplify: "here is the tool and you can do this and this and this and if you want to make it complicated you also can do this and that...

But what I'm willing to discover is more like this: here is the before shot and here is the super-duper-complicated-after-you-have-no-idea-how-to-accomplish-it-alone and I'll walk you through all the steps to make sure you would do even better.

And here is the magic formula I've discovered: if you're watching a tutorial and they say somewhere "advanced" and show you before and after(or don't show till it's too late) and the after is like crap or worse, what's the point of advanced? Nobody needs advanced knowledge to do crap things... Unless... it's an advanced tutorial to stylize the out to look like crap but in fact this stylization is pretty advanced itself...

So does a 4 hour tutorial with an outcome like carp worth my time?

Tutorials've become around tools not around the result and that's the lowest.

Tool reference must be about that and it should be better documented.

There is one how makes stunning tutorials for Fusion.
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Mukesh Sharma

PostWed May 04, 2016 10:15 am

there are so many video available online. youtube is the best source for videos. :roll:

Steffen Dünner

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 3:56 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:I don't wanna sound ungrateful because people producing Fusion tutorials is a great thing. But those screenshots never show an enabled LUT button which I find suspicious for a CG integration tutorial. It's probably not demonstrating a linear workflow.

I was about to post a huge rant about this! Thanks for mentioning it and showing me that I'm not alone.
Just go to Youtube and search for Fusion tutorials. 99% of them have the LUT button disabled which means they're "working" in whatever color space but not linear! The other 1% are actually about linear workflow in Fusion and how to set it up using this very button! They don't seem to get a lot of clicks ;)

Over the years I've witnessed several Fusion freelancers that literally had to jump through hoops to get rid of dark / grey / bright outlines around imported 3D elements. Back then I always thought it's a problem with Fusion while Nuke just applied some magic trick to avoid it. But now that I also work with Fusion I know that the whole "magic" is to correctly setup Fusion to work in linear space and to linearize all your source materials and use a viewer LUT!!! Yes, you have to use this button. It should be f#*ing on by default!!!

This is a huge problem IMHO. I learned that when a compositing "artist" complains that the EXRs coming from the 3D department are all looking too dark and that they want something that looks correct, like TIFF or SGI this is when you should look for the emergency exit! :shock:

Chad Capeland

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Steffen Dünner wrote:It should be f#*ing on by default!!!

But what LUT should be applied? Assuming sRGB is just as bad as assuming linear.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Steffen Dünner

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:43 am

Well, the defaults of (sorry to mention the name) Nuke, Natron and Blender Compositor to name a few are pretty decent. They all "assume" sRGB as a viewer / monitor LUT, sRGB for LDR sources and linear for float sources.
In case that's wrong in for you, you can of course customize it the way you want. But you get a good starting point out of the box as you can import just about anything and it a) looks correct and you're b) working in linear space.

Ganesh Chawkekar

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 12:05 pm

This is link to my youtube channel:

youtube.com/channel/UCroTa4J0Enl9i2LMBUK0T8w

I have playlist of CMIVFX, Digital tutors, FXPHD, etc along with comps and source files for reference purpose. I also was newbie to Fusion months ago but these awesome tutorials helped me a lot so just wanted to share the knowledge. I also bought this book

Last edited by Tony Rivera on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Providing content that is sold from another person is prohibited.

Chad Capeland

PostTue Oct 25, 2016 3:13 pm

That's not solving anything though. Anyone who can't see that there's no LUT applied probably can't tell that the wrong LUT is applied. If you want a default LUT applied, you can set that up, but I don't think it should be the default.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Nathaniel Westveer

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 3:17 pm

I've created a Half hour Class on Using Fusions Paint tools for Digital Beauty work.
Inside covers how to to access Fusion's Vector paint and how to use it for Vector paint Animation.
And a Technique that mimics Flames front Source node for clean up work.
(It's sure to make all flame artist insanely Jealous)

I also cover how to attach tracking data to your Beauty clean up work.
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/90733

This is directly inspired from my class I taught at fxphd Nuk310: The Dark Art of Digital Beauty Work

Robert Siebert

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm

FXPHD has a new course: Fusion Production Workshop II: MicroWorld

Preview

Details:
https://www.fxphd.com/blog/new-course-r ... icroworld/

Vito LaManna

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey guys,

wouldn't it be great to have a website only devoted to Fusion expressions and scripting?

Vito

Vito La Manna

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 5:11 am

Hey guys, I have pre-released a new really cool Tutorial for all my Patreons. If you don't wanna wait till it becomes public, with just a 1$ pledge you can be in the game!
If you don't want to become my Patreon and don't want to wait, check out the Vimeo page. You can also watch the Trailer there:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/confusionlightbulbaction

Enjoy what you are doing,
ViTO
PATREON:
https://www.patreon.com/Vito

JohnSmith

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi,

I really would like to see a tutorial that teaches about common mistakes and how to avoid them.

Also it would be extraordinary useful to have a tutorial that teaches about the limits of fusion and what might be good approaches to overcome these limitations (do not know many, found a few in the Linux version, like not being able to export to video formats).

So, generally, a nice tutorial would be something that helps to do things the right way - there seem to be some ways to do things not like intended (as with every software) and it would be super useful to know about the wrong directions one could take.

Thanks for your attention!

ricardo marty

PostSun May 07, 2017 7:00 pm

I just want a tutorial on nodes. The different kind of nodes. The reason for them why and where the connecting lines go.

I cannot learn fusion without this. I learn by doing.

dummyme
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

John Paines

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 3:43 pm

All the videos linked to in the first page of this thread

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... n/training

are "private". What am I missing?
PreviousNext

Return to Fusion