Feature request: generate timecode based on file stamp

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Uli Plank

Feature request: generate timecode based on file stamp

PostThu Feb 11, 2016 9:22 am

Since Resolve understands footage from many cameras which don't support timecode, like AVCHD, it would be great to have another option in the "Conform" settings. Could you please consider adding timecode based on the time the file was generated instead of always counting from zero? While this is not as good as professional TC, as long as the clock is set in camera it's better than having the same TC over and over.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Paul Sangha

Re: Feature request: generate timecode based on file stamp

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 3:26 pm

A mighty +1

I can import Magic Lantern Raw CDNGs and work straight on them but they are all without time code. Therefore I have to manually link each video (CNDG Sequence folder) with each WAV file inside Resolve. The above feature request would make this very simple (if it works with CDNGs? since each DNG inside the folder will have a different time stamp :cry: ).

Another solution I thought of (but didn't post here) was linking audio and video files based on filename. In my case ML RAW CDNG sequence and WAV files both have same file names (but obviously different file extensions, therefore can co exist in the same folder - as is the case with how ML RAW saves them). Inside resolve I still have to manually link each of them before dropping onto my timeline since there isn't a synch/link by file name option.

I understand this isn't a common request and probably a very small user base would benefit from it - but would be awesome nonetheless if this functionality existed. :D :)
| www.Paulharveer.com | Engineer/Photographer |

wolfgang hershey

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 5:13 pm

add my vote here also...

I use Sony mirrorless cameras and the internal clock is used to timestamp to the second of the creation of the file
and while not good enough for sync it is very helpful on documentaries as it provides a free run TC that can be sorted and organize with..
MacBook Pro (16-inch 2019)
OS X 13.3.1 (a) / 18.5 beta Resolve Studio - DeckLink Studio 4k via Thunderbolt3
64GB - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
10Gb ethernet network

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 2:13 am

There are a lot of good reasons why using cameras without timecode is perilous for post. My advice would be to manually add the timecode after the fact using transcoding.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 3:20 am

Come on, for a documentary with hundreds of clips? Shouldn't be rocket science to program a function that looks at the date of origin for a file and stamp it into the field that we'd need to fill manually until now.

Some batch converters like EditReady even preserve that info when transcoding, so it can be used with intermediate footage.

Of course I'd like to have professional TC coming in, but we are seeing more and more of that prosumer crap coming in, even for TV…
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 11:35 am

Uli Plank wrote:Some batch converters like EditReady even preserve that info when transcoding, so it can be used with intermediate footage.

That would be an inexpensive solution at fifty bucks.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Unfortunately the software is only preserving the original time stamp for the transcoded file, but it doesn't add TC.

I already wrote to the developer…

Scott Gilbertson

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Plus one the original post.

I don't see how the feature would do any harm to any existing workflow, so long as it's something you have to explicitly enable. If you need angles in a no-budget project there will be DSLRs (or worse) involved. Lots of people would use the feature, to at least know which clips were shot at roughly the same time. I'd be one of them.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Well, angles can be synced with PluralEyes (or sometimes in Resolve) if they have any sound. But there are many other uses for a rough TC.

Scott Gilbertson

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I wasn't referring to syncing (which I always do manually, these days in Resolve), but just figuring out which clips were simultaneous, when not every camera or recorder was used in every scene, and cameras may have been stopped and started while audio kept rolling.

It doesn't happen so much lately, but before I bought a prompter I sometimes had a ludicrous number of takes for my simple little videos. Even when there was only one camera, it would take a while to determine which video clips went with which audio recordings, and roughly where multiple video clips should land on a lengthy audio track. Careful notes would have helped, but so would approximate timecodes on the DSLR files.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Well, if you want to do it all by hand, eye and ear… PluralEyes would save you if every recording device had some sound.

But a decent TC would help with silent cameras.

Return to DaVinci Resolve