Anyone used a touchscreen monitor to control ATEM software?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andrew Allan

Anyone used a touchscreen monitor to control ATEM software?

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi all,

Purely for cost reasons I am contemplating buying an ATEM 1 over something like a Sony MCS8M, for smaller live sports production that is distributed to SD-jumbotrons and HD closed-circuit TVs. I'm not too keen on the limited useability of the software interface, and I won't consider buying the hardware panel since for the combined $8k pricetag there are far better options. So, has anyone tried a touchscreen LCD monitor to control the ATEM interface in a more intuitive way than a mouse?

-------------------------------------
Alpha Sports Technologies
Solutions for Broadcast Sports
www.alphasports.tv

Tom_Bassford

Re: Anyone used a touchscreen monitor to control ATEM softwa

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 3:13 pm

http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Andrew Allan

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks Tom,

Interesting device, but I'm really just looking for a conventional touchscreen PC monitor to use with the software interface, as an alternative to the mouse. Just wondering if it might be a useable halfway solution to a full hardware panel.

Cheers
www.alphasports.tv

Mathijs

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Yes, I did that but found myself using the mouse more then the touch panel in the end.
Better option is to buy a xkeys keypad and make a panel of that with justmacro's.
That way you will have real buttons to press, which is always better than a touchscreen interface.

Dave Glennie

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Hey alphasportstv,

Check out the iPad app for the 1 M/E that Gallery Sienna have made- don't want to spoil their thunder- but it will work and will be released shortly....i know- personally....

Needless to say, the guys are doing the one thing BMD seem to NOT do- extensive Beta testing....release date soon....

thread is here:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3832

It's great....

Cheers
Dave ;)
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Shaun C. Roemich

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 3:15 am

alphasportstv wrote:I won't consider buying the hardware panel since for the combined $8k pricetag there are far better options.

"Far better options" for $8k? Like what?

I'm jumping ship this year to ROSS Video but my buy in will be around $13-14k.

Lack of Aux Sends, Key Busses, Stingers are all deal breakers for me. For me, getting built in scalers on inputs and firmware that doesn't break functionality with every release are the primary reasons for the move but I'd still consider getting a 2ME and a 1ME control surface, which is where I consider the REAL value to be...
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Justin Strauber

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Shaun C. Roemich wrote:

My condolences

To the OP, I had thought about getting a touchscreen monitor but the opportunities for mis-clicks just seems to great. I use a combination of keyboard / mouse. Using the keyboard to do the primary switching and mousing for the DSKs and anything complex.

I have seen a couple of third-party panels for the ATEM, not nearly as complete in functionality as BMDs panel but there are lower cost options.

IMO the ATEM series is still the best bang for the buck in terms of I/O and capabilities. It seems like the next best thing up is in the 20k range.

Andrew Allan

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

I might have exaggerated a bit in saying there are many more options around the combined $8k pricepoint for the ATEM and Panel (thinking Sony MCS8M or Panasonic HMX100, less features than BM but both at around $5k) ; $12-15k is more accurate for entry-level "Pro", but still, cashflow-permitting, $8k goes a long way towards $15k and I'd rather go that route and get a true "Pro" full-hardware solution (a la Ross, Sony, Panasonic, For.A...). Unfortunately cashflow is not playing nice these days... ;)

On the other hand, $2.5k is pretty compelling which is why I'm looking at it for a near-term gig. It would be a no-brainer if not for the bad press BM continues to get from their slow updates and seemingly non-existent customer support.

The other big strike against the BM for my work is the requirement for input-source parity: like many live remotes we use many different input formats, so we would have to add all kinds of converters (at $400 a pop) just to connect to the ATEM. Having built-in scalers would just be so sweet.

I like the sound of the X-Keys solution, had forgotten about those guys. I'm working with broadcast laptops so the external kybd is a bit of a pain, but now I'm getting finnicky ;)

Sorry for the rant, I kind of got off-track on the original thread re: touchscreens!

Cheers
www.alphasports.tv

Shaun C. Roemich

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 am

alphasportstv wrote:thinking Sony MCS8M or Panasonic HMX100

Had a chance to check them both out at NAB last year... MY opinion? Meh.

Especially the Sony... it seemed "toyish" in the same way I never liked the Anycast.

I love the tactile feel of a GOOD T-Bar and proper jewel input selectors though. And the ability to choose the Next Transition sources QUICKLY and visually is something you take for granted until you need to make several mouse clicks instead.

The little time I had with the BMD control surfaces at NAB DID get me excited... I can't imagine switching with anything but a dedicated control surface for anything other than corporate conventions, which is what I've been using the software control panel for.
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Quinn Quality

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 am

I am using an Acer T231H and it works great with Windows 7. It does not work on a Mac since there are no drivers avalable. It cost me about US$ 275.-
Qmedia.nu
Lijnbaan 16
1969 NE Heemskerk
The Netherlands

Intinning

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Quinn Quality wrote:I am using an Acer T231H and it works great with Windows 7. It does not work on a Mac since there are no drivers avalable. It cost me about US$ 275.-

I am waiting on the Acer T232HL - Should be here end of the coming week. Looking forward to controlling my ATEM 1 M/E with it and the Asus MiniPC.
- Scott

Andrew Allan

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks Quinn Quality, might check one out.
www.alphasports.tv

Shaun C. Roemich

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Jahntassa wrote:
Shaun C. Roemich wrote:

My condolences

I'm interested to know WHY you would offer your condolences? Best take bar in the industry, no firmware updates that break stuff, more DVEs and VERY comparably priced, once you buy the control surface, again in 1ME. Input scalers on each input...

To be fair, I have thousands of hours on the Synergy 1 and RVS210 combined so I am biased...
Shaun C. Roemich
Big Dog at
Road Dog Media
Vancouver, BC
www.roaddogmedia.ca

Andrew Allan

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Shaun C. Roemich wrote:
Jahntassa wrote:
Shaun C. Roemich wrote:

My condolences

I'm interested to know WHY you would offer your condolences? Best take bar in the industry, no firmware updates that break stuff, more DVEs and VERY comparably priced, once you buy the control surface, again in 1ME. Input scalers on each input...

To be fair, I have thousands of hours on the Synergy 1 and RVS210 combined so I am biased...

Ross rocks. We use Xpression as our go-to CG; murders Chyron/Duet and most of the other crap out there. Its API allows for all kinds of realtime automation, maybe not as fancy as Vizrt or AKI but good enough for Rogers Sportsnet, NHL, NFL, CBS, Red Bull etc etc... Heading to CBS Broadcast Ctr in NYC tomorrow with it :)
www.alphasports.tv

Nick Toale

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 am

Using a Samsung Ativ Windows 8 Tablet as a light weight touch panel works really well as it has 1920 x 1080 screen. Just need to get the small dock but is quite handy as you can use the panel via wireless. Also it's quite handy for doing the Audio mix and Graphics stuff.

Andrew Allan

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 1:57 pm

nicktoale wrote:Using a Samsung Ativ Windows 8 Tablet as a light weight touch panel works really well as it has 1920 x 1080 screen. Just need to get the small dock but is quite handy as you can use the panel via wireless. Also it's quite handy for doing the Audio mix and Graphics stuff.

Hmmm that's interesting. Haven't spent 5 mins looking at the new Win8 stuff, esp if they want close to $1k for a device that is almost universally panned. What specific model do you use? Just googled it and didn't find much.

A Forum participant (Gallery Sienna) is on the verge of releasing a pretty effective looking iPad app that would certainly fit the bill. I'm hoping it'll be available before I am forced to make a buying decision!

Cheers
www.alphasports.tv

Jeff Hartman

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 3:39 pm

alphasportstv wrote:Ross rocks. We use Xpression as our go-to CG; murders Chyron/Duet and most of the other crap out there. Its API allows for all kinds of realtime automation, maybe not as fancy as Vizrt or AKI but good enough for Rogers Sportsnet, NHL, NFL, CBS, Red Bull etc etc... Heading to CBS Broadcast Ctr in NYC tomorrow with it :)

Ross indeed rocks. Our Syracuse facility has a Vision Octane switcher, three Xpression CGs, five of their routing switchers, and ten of their new MC1 master control systems... plus an ancient RVS-210A that used to bang around in our satellite uplink truck. Several years ago we had a rather odd problem with the 210A, and I wound up calling their headquarters hoping someone might have some idea about this 25-year-old device. The receptionist connected me immediately to a very helpful gentleman who, as it turned out, designed the section of it that was acting up. He not only knew exactly what the problem was, but sent me the parts to fix it -- at no charge. Now that's customer service.

-- Jeff

Paulnevi

PostFri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I have used it on a Mac with no problems. The display needs to be your own only display or mirrored. It would not work as a secondary display. And also because you can't resize the Atem app window you must have a high enough resolution touchscreen to use it effectively. Monoprice.com has a very inexpensive touchscreen.

RobAshard

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 am

It's easy to forget how nice it is to just have your fingers resting on actual buttons, even if it's just the number buttons of a laptop. You don't even have to look at them to cut between 4 cameras.
A long job with your hands floating in space to have your fingers hovering, but not touching until you want to, a touch screen will very soon become tiresome. Arm ache, big time.
I suspect it could be a, "Seemed like a good idea at the time", sort of thing.
Rob.

Nick Toale

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 am

The Specific Samsung Ativ model is XE700T1C. I have been using the Ativ as my engineering tablet for a lot of different video kit and it just works. Also quite handy running Powerpoint 2013 into the atem especially if you do a key you can use the live drawing pen as a cheap highlighter over video

Intinning

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 12:40 pm

The delivery date for the Acer touch screen that I was waiting for kept getting pushed out, is still not deliverable here. In the mean time I picked up a nice 24" touch screen from Ilyama. Extremely satisfied with my purchase. Using the ATEM 1 controller with the on screen keyboard is a treat. I have the wireless keyboard/mouse combo on a USB switch in case I need to use the mouse - which I have not yet needed to. Upon delivery I immediately removed the VESA stand and mounted a small, but wide, piece of wood to an angle VESA mount. The monitor is at a comfortable 40° in front of the other two monitors.

I would suggest it to anybody with a touch screen of the minimum or better resolution. Just in case, I would also suggest to keep a mouse handy (cabled or wireless).
- Scott

Return to Live Production