Please recommend a budget monitoring setup

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
Reinis

Please recommend a budget monitoring setup

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 am

Hello, I have a 12-core Mac Pro with a Quadro 4000 card that runs Premiere CS6 and now Resolve 9 Lite. The performance is really nice. Currently I am grading only using two 27" Apple Cinema Displays, but I'd like to move to a better, 10-bit setup in the near future. Can you recommend a comparatively inexpensive setup with an SDI card and an SDI-capable HD monitor? I grade mostly Alexa ProRes 4444 footage in 1080p, sometimes RED 4K, but we finish in HD...

I've looked at TVLogic monitors, but they are rather expensive... Thanks!

StefanKing

Re: Please recommend a budget monitoring setup

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Reinis,

we are working on the FSI 2461W 10Bit LCD. It can be switched to DCI P3, Gamma 2.6 with different Kelvin. Its a great monitor and in budget. Have a look @ flandersscientific.com. They also have great services.

cheers, steve

…………………………………………………………………………...
http://www.sking.de
DaVinci Resolve Linux 6 GPU
DaVinci Resolve Advanced Panel
Sony X300v2 & PVM X550
…………………………………………………………………………...

Reinis

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am

StefanKing wrote:Hi Reinis,

we are working on the FSI 2461W 10Bit LCD. It can be switched to DCI P3, Gamma 2.6 with different Kelvin. Its a great monitor and in budget. Have a look @ flandersscientific.com. They also have great services.

cheers, steve

Thanks for that, not a bad budget option! About 3k cheaper than Cinetal & twice as cheap as a TVLogic!

Erick von Schulz

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 2:46 pm

I have have a secret budget monitor solution. I look on Ebay for Ecinema color grading monitors. They have two versions. One the EDP100a with the mac 24 inch monitor Original cost 6,500. I pick these up in the 400-700 range.

The other is the DCM23 with controller box. This is there own custom color grading monitor which cost at the time about 23K. I have found these for 750 -1200 on Ebay.

Both take SDI inputs and work with the Blackmagic SDI cards.

Both are 4:2:2 and give very accurate color.

Since no one really knows about theses you can get them cheap. I once bought one for $100. I have 4 and they work flawlessly. Great workhorses and you will not find a better one for such a small amount of money. Most people who know what they are will not sell them. But people on ebay who buy out companies often list them there without knowing what they are. I just do a saved search in Ebay so if anyone lists one I am the first to know. Since I have more then enough of them. I can let my secret out. I hope this helps you.

Nick Pasquariello

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 5:48 pm

The Flanders Scientific stuff is really great. Super customer service. We bought 7, and the owner (who has since passed away, sadly) stopped by our office on his way to a few other places, and spent a few hours going over all the features and how to update the firmware and such. It's a family-run business, still. Quality:Price comparison versus some other companies? Blows the competition out of the water. Though you will still be spending at least a few grand on a monitor, so depending on your definition of "Budget solutions" . . .
Owner Red Scarlet-X #1789 "Ariadne"
Icarus Rex Productions
Shoot, DIT, Grade, and More

Reinis

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:47 am

Nick Pasquariello wrote:The Flanders Scientific stuff is really great. Super customer service. We bought 7, and the owner (who has since passed away, sadly) stopped by our office on his way to a few other places, and spent a few hours going over all the features and how to update the firmware and such. It's a family-run business, still. Quality:Price comparison versus some other companies? Blows the competition out of the water. Though you will still be spending at least a few grand on a monitor, so depending on your definition of "Budget solutions" . . .

Thanks. I think I will be going for the 24" Flanders Scientific soon. Since I'm new at this, I'm slightly confused about having the monitor with Single or Dual Link HD-SDI. In Resolve Lite, the option to select RGB Single Link 3Gb/s 4:4:4 is unavailable (greyed out). There is only the possibility of Dual Link 4:4:4 10-bit, but would I then need a monitor that has Dual Link SDIs?

Return to Getting Started