Blackmagic Video Assist Requests - Post Firmware 1.1

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

JoeAbreu

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist Requests - Post Firmware 1.1

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Just received the Video assist and putting it through its paces and I've come up against a bug and a time code issue.

The Bug - unable to set date and time on the setup screens. I can access the settings, make the changes and see that the new date and time are in, but pressing the save button does not save the data - both date and time remain at the settings shown before editing in the setup panel. The time is currently advancing from April 1, 2000 10:00am when it was powered up - it seems to be holding this date/time even when power is disconnected. This issue is also present in the Black Magic Video Assist Utility software- the name of the unit can be changed, but while the date and time are shown, they are not accessible for setting.

The second issue I have relates to the fact that I am recording with the unit attached to my Sony Z7U, which unfortunately does not pass timecode via its HDMI signal. As a result, I'm counting on the BMD video assist unit to record distinct timecode on the clips - preferably time of day as a default when no other time code is present. Right now, each clip starts recording with TC at 00:00:00:00, which gives me a bin full of clips with matching TC - the only differentiator being the clip name and the time of recording in the metadata.

Are these known issues, and is there any chance that they will be addressed?

Thanks!

Joe Abreu

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Yes, and yes. The VA does not record T/C, even from a from a camera that will output T/C. It records T/C as a time sequence of the clip. We are hoping BM adds the ability to set the first digit, like tape based ENG cams could to ID different takes.

Date/Time can not be set from VA menu due to a know bug, BM is working on this. Meantime, you can set the date/time with the VA utility/firmware update program. If your unit has Ver. 1.1 already installed, then roll it back to 1.0 and then repudiate back to 1.1. When I updated my VA to firmware 1.1, it set the date/time from my computer setting to match. Afterwards, it keeps this info fairly accurately, even without a battery attached.

Hope this helps. Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Randel

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Chris, I hope also, this gets addressed/resolved. But, you already brought this up in a thread about VA Audio issues; and got a reply from BM Rep. Tony Rivera, see: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41281&p=252662#p252662

I am adding this link for others to see, rather than repeat what has been said elsewhere.
Cheers

Thanks for pointing that out, Denny! You are right of course...
What I was trying to say but forgot to write is that THIS (support for more then 2 embedded audio channels) is a big feature request for me!

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Sorry Chris, could not resist. :roll: But, yes, I agree, this is an important feature,that should be added.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tony Arnerich

Setting VA Time/Date works! / D810 Start-Stop

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 7:32 am

Like others have reported, I was initially unable to set the time and date in my newly arrived Video Assist. I did not have a video signal coming in during that particular session with the VA. However this evening while an active video signal was connected at the HDMI, setting the time and date worked like a charm. So there is a work-around.

My request for the next VA firmware update is for it to respond to the recording start and stop events that my Nikon D810 sends out along with the HDMI signal. Atomos recorders respond to them. These event signals were added to the D810 in a firmware update from the summer of 2015.

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for the date/time setting tip Tony. I tried several combinations of having thr VA connected to firmware utility, etc, but did not try it with a video signal connected :D Good show sorting this mine out!
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

duncan.e.parker

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Denny,
I am a wildlife camera operator and wondered if it might be at all possible to implement pre roll in a future firmware update. I am sure it would useful for the sports and other action type settings.

I love this monitor and would really like to use for wildlife shoots but with out pre roll I have to use the Atomos shogun which has pre roll built in. Just keen to hear if it might be implemented in the future

Thanks
D

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Good question, I do not know, BM does not comment on future equipment update features.
If you are recording to your camera and the VA, you can just start recording on the VA first, the. Rill the camera when you are ready. That way, the VA is rolling, and any action that might happen is recorded. This is what I do, I always roll my external recorders first, then the camera when I or the talent is ready.

The advantages of the VA over the Shogun, is the VA is lighter, has a better display, and uses SD cards instead of SSDs. Another option is the Video Assist Pix 5E, also a nice recorder.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

duncan.e.parker

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi,

I have just been playing around with options to try and get a 50fps feed out of the A7S.
I brought one of these - .... not allowed to post link

Before it wasn't letting me record 50fps and only showing 59.9fps when 50fps was selected in the camera.
I kept it on the same settings and just plugged in the adapter and it allowed me to record 50fps.
Unfortunately 25fps still don't work.

In a previous post HDMI switchers have been mentioned to get around the problem, could we actually just change the HDMI type (Type D to Type A) using an adapter like the one above to get 25fps?

I don't know what different types do, but a little reading has lead me to believe that If this adapter was a type D to a Type B full HDMI it would be able to carry twice as much video as the A type?

Any one know anymore? Just want to find a solution to getting 25fps on this otherwise great recorder!

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Welcome to the "wacky world" of Sony, which has "crippled" the A7 line so you have to,buy a Cone Alta camera to get higher recording resolutions at 24/25p frame rates. The camera HDMI is 50/60i based output, meaning any signal other than UHD/4K 24/25p, has a 2/3 or 2/2 pulldown added to output the signal as a 1080 50/60i. The pulldown splits the progressive frames into two fields and puts the file in a 50/60 interlaced wrapper, which needs to be removed.

Sony A7S output specs:
60i compatible device 3840 × 2160(30p/24p) / 1920 × 1080(60p/24p) / 1920 × 1080(60i), YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit
50i compatible device 3840 × 2160(25p) / 1920 × 1080(50p) / 1920 × 1080(50i), YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit

The Video Assist does not remove the 2/2 or 2/3 pulldown, but you can do this in post on most NLE (editing program like Resolve or FCPX/Premier). The VA does support 24/25 fps on the SDI input, whichmismanother waymto get 1080p24/25 out of consumer cameras.

Also, the BA can take a UHD/4K signal on the SDI and down convert it to a Full HD 1080p24/25 recording. So you,can put a HDMI to SDI adapter, like a BM Mini converter or the Atomos Connect 5HS and convert your HDMI output to a 6G SDI input and record on from the SDI input on the VA. UHD/4K on HDMI is. It currently supported on the VA. The Connect 2 will also remove the pulldown on 108050/60i signals restoring it to a 108024/25p signal. :D

Another option is to get a 4ak recorder like the Video Devices Pix 5E, which supports 4K/UHD on its HDMI input, but is a $1200-1500 solution! :?:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 7:14 am

The Video Assist firmware update to Ver 1.2 is out, seems it fixed the recording issues with the GH4, and record triggering has been added to HDMI, in addition to timecode support for Canon 5DMkIII, enhanced overlays including time remaining status and clip information on playback, and support for SDI Level A signals, in addition to fixing the date and time setting problem, it works now.
Here are the details:
What's new in Blackmagic Video Assist 1.2
Adds DNxHD codec
Adds extended Zebra range
Adds SD card record time remaining on status overlays
Adds clip playback information panel
Adds HDMI record trigger

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Thomas Cznarty

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 10:40 pm

How does one upload the latest firmware version 1.2 to the video assist? What are the settings and is there a way to see the video assist icon on a Mac desktop?

David Patterson

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 11:01 pm

I recently received my BMVA, installed firmware 1.2. I can't trigger recording on the BMVA via HDMI on my GH4. I've tried a bunch of different settings, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Is there a list of settings that I need to check to get this to work?

When connected to my GH3 (not GH4), the BMVA frame rate defaults to 59.94 1080i, regardless of what the settings are on my GH3. Any suggestions on this, or is the GH3 too "vintage" in its HDMI spec to send proper info to the BMVA?

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 25, 2016 1:26 am

You need to set up your GH4 to output time Code in "Rcord Run" mode, vice Free Run T/C. You will also have to set Y/C out HDMI on a different menu, then T/C triggering should work.

All Panasonic cameras prior to the GH4, i.e. GH1/2/3, even the AF100, have a 2/3 pull down applied to the video signal to output the signal as a 1080i49.94/60 interlaced signal, as most of the monitors used then, up until the last few years, could only accept and display a interlaced signal. This was also the broadcast standard of the time. Also the existing HDMI standard could only output a progressive signal at 720p60, it did not have the bandwidth for 1080p24-66 frame rates. The next HDMI change added 1080p24-30, and today's HDMI do UHD. See my note in my previous post on 2/3 pulldown a above.

Times have changed, but most still digital cameras still apply the pull down down to convert progressive signals to 60 field interlaced signal. A interim option was developed to get 1080p 24/30 to record in the early video recorders using SDI, and was later added to a few HDMI cameras. This is 1080/PSF 24/30, which takes the progressive frame and splits it into two progressive 1/2 or split frames played at a 48 fps, in a interlace wrapper to have a interlaced output.

Many external video recorders like Atimos, remove the pulldown to restore the signal to 1080p24-30. But the BMVA does not, it records the pulldown signal in its interlace wrapper as 1080i59.94, which can be removed by most NLE programs in post production to restore the signal back to progressive at its original frame rate.

The VA will take a 1080PsF24/30 signal and record it as a progressive 1080p24/30 signal on its SDI input only. This is good for cameras like the AF100 which can output its 1080p24 signal as 1080PsF24 with T/C embedded, so the signal is not degraded as it is with the 2/3 pulldown, and no video data is lost.

Hope,this helps
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Patterson

PostThu Feb 25, 2016 1:47 am

Denny - Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I will test this tonight. Much thanks!

PatrickMullen

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Is there a workflow on how to acquire 24p from a c100? I am aware of the pulldown issue, but has someone put together a step-by-step procedure to set the cam to 23.98p (avchd or mp4), output over 59.94i (or p), record with VA, as 59.94i (or p), import into AEPPCC, then pull down (and how to do so)? Interlace artifacts suck! Thanks in advance~

Ryan Kramer

PostTue Mar 15, 2016 3:25 pm

This sounds counter intuitive, but I would LOVE to see a more lossy codec for a choice.

h.264 at a lower bit rate along with a VGA to HDMI adapter ($35 at a place like monoprice) would turn this device into a very convenient screen recording device. We screen record presentations at conventions, and this would be a very portable cost effective solution for us. Even the lowest end codecs currently on the device like PRO RES Proxy at 59.94 would be 40GB an hour which is just too large a file size and overkill for what we need. (My math could be off. ^_^)

I appreciate any and all efforts and considerations.

^_^

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Unlikely to get any other codecs fo the VA, as it was designed for video acquisition from a camera, not a gaming computer.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Kramer

PostTue Mar 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Darn. Guess we'd have to skip it, but I appreciate the heads up.

(To be clear, there's no gaming involved here. It's a CE Healthcare conference. Ironically this device with that one tweak would better serve our needs at a cheaper price than something like Epiphan's offerings, but I understand if it's a world you're not looking to chase after.)

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Sorry, it is usually gamers looking to capture/ record computer screen options that want this capability. Could you not use a laptop with a USB2/3 interface external capture card or a H.264 recorder to do this? Not as compact, but might work better with analog and VGA signals.
Something like this: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... rorecorder
Just a thought...
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Kramer

PostTue Mar 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Sorry, it is useually gamers looking to capture/ record computer screen options. Could you not use a laptop with a USB3 external capture card to do this? Not as compact, but ,in work better with analog and VGA signals. Just a thought...

It's awesome that you care enough to throw out ideas, and in most cases, what you say would make the most sense, but what we love about your device is the pass along feature. We would go:

presenter's laptop > vga converter and audio (from mixing board) into hdmi >Video Assist > Projector

I think we're still going to test this product though, as it's just too well priced to get a recorder with a screen we can monitor that will also do pass along, all in the same solution. (You guys are too brilliant for your own good. ^_^) We'll just need to grind through larger files at the end of the process. It may even be a non issue by the time we're done. :-)

duncan.e.parker

PostWed Mar 16, 2016 4:37 pm

I have just used the Black Magic Video Assist on a wildlife doc in India for the last month.
It really is a great monitor and so much easy to judge focus and exposure with. Batteries last quite a while in the cold and works with Red Dragon and Sony A7S.

1. I would really love if the Fan was adaptive or you could turn it off as if you are recording sound onboard then the fan noise is too loud for use. even if you could just turn on and off or it was adaptive like red fan that would be great.

2. The ability to delete clips on board, would be useful as its a great monitor to review rushes on at the end of the days shooting.

3. Also PreRoll and Luts would be amazing.

Otherwise a really great all round monitor!

Bastian Reffke

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Yes. Especially point 2. Why isn´t there a little "X" on the screen in playback mode, to delete a clip? The only way to clean up unwanted clips, is formating the card completely and everythings gone :shock:

KurtAugust

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Accept 525i29.97 NTSC input over SDI. It accepts it over HDMI but not sdi. Why oh why?

Alexsey Baranez

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Last update BMVA 5 'was (Blackmagic Video Assist 1.2 Update 05 Feb 2016) ...
It seems closed BM support BMVA 5 "? All new updates for BMVA 4K only 7"!

Atomos even in its ancient Ninja-2 released firmware with adjustable RBG, and continues to update it:
http://firmware.atomos.com/TXT/N2/Relea ... ternal.txt
Ninja-2 4.3 release notes.

FID: 041104300430

The OS4.3 update for Ninja2 users is a mix of new functionality and fixes for known compatibility issues

- NEW FEATURE: Calibration controls for RGB and Gamma
- Improved playback compatibility from NLE generated files
- Fixed an issue with long recordings .

Shame Blackmagic - you can not fix their mistakes and perform the requests of your customers !!!
Our wishes were ignored, it seems to have thrown BMVA 5 "in the trash and never buy products BM terrible green color is not correct in the monitor - and has not made the color balance correction!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
На моем родном, может так понятнее будет:
Последнее обновление BMVA 5" было (Blackmagic Video Assist 1.2 Update 05 Feb 2016)...
Похоже BM закрыло поддержку BMVA 5"? Все новые обновления только для BMVA 4K 7"!
Atomos даже на своем древнем Ninja-2 выпустил прошивку с регулировкой RBG, и продолжает его обновлять:
http://firmware.atomos.com/TXT/N2/Relea ... ternal.txt
Ninja-2 4.3 release notes.

FID: 041104300430

The OS4.3 update for Ninja2 users is a mix of new functionality and fixes for known compatibility issues

- NEW FEATURE: Calibration controls for RGB and Gamma
- Improved playback compatibility from NLE generated files
- Fixed an issue with long recordings.

Позор BM - вы не можете исправить свои ошибки и выполнить просьбы ваших покупателей!!!
Наши пожелания были проигнорированы, похоже придется выбросить BMVA 5" на помойку, и больше никогда не покупать продукцию BM!
Ужасный зеленый - не верный цвета в мониторе - так и не сделали коррекцию цветового баланса!
Sorry for my bad english
BMVA 5" + Canon EOS C100 mk2 + Canon XC10 ...

Patrick Baldwin

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm right with you Alexsey. I think it stinks the way BM have clearly abandoned the 5". If they haven't abandoned it they really need to learn about communicating with customers in the way that all other manufacturers manage to do. BM must have more disenchanted customers than any other maker. They won't be getting any more of my money for sure.

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 8:06 pm

The VA HD 5-inch is still being sold and supported. It had all of its FW updates after its initial release, and the last FW update added additional features not originally included in its description or features. Now it's the VA4K's turn, bring the newer product with a higher price tag, and thus should have additional features not found in the lower const VA-5.

The only big bug left in both units, is the slight green tint to their image. It is unclear weather or not, the new FW release for the VA4K addressed this. It is reasonable to have feature on the more expensive VA not available on the less expensive model. If you need the new features, like false color, then buy the new VA4K! What needs to be addressed is the green tint on both models. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ben Helweg

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 am

Just wanted to note that in current firmwares, or at least for 5", the green tint has been removed.
I was attempting to create a calibration LUT and noticed that during the process all three colour channels were more or less lined up according to the colorimeter.
Previous firmwares had strong green channel dominance.

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Ah, at last! Good to know. I also noticed the Ursa Mini Pro/Broadcast flip out Monitor is natural, no strong green tint issue.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Patrick Baldwin

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am

Ben Helweg wrote:Just wanted to note that in current firmwares, or at least for 5", the green tint has been removed.
I was attempting to create a calibration LUT and noticed that during the process all three colour channels were more or less lined up according to the colorimeter.
Previous firmwares had strong green channel dominance.

Hi. Which firmware are you referring to? My 5" won't let me update from 2.5.1. Is that the same for you?
Best wishes. Patrick.
Previous

Return to Getting Started