which DeckLink cards are full duplex?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Andres Gonzalez

which DeckLink cards are full duplex?

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Is the DeckLink SDI 4K full duplex? That is, can I use the Input SDI *and* the Output SDI connectors at the same time?

Regarding the DeckLink 4K Pro, can both channels be use simultaneously? And can each channel process SDI input *and* Output at the same time?

Same question for the DeckLink Studio 4K.

Thanks,

-Andres Gonzalez

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

Re: which DeckLink cards are full duplex?

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 4:40 pm

All of the Decklink and Ultrastudio with the name or title with "4K" are able to be provide input and output at same time. The Decklink SDI 4K, Studio4K, 4K Pro, 4K Extreme (6G) and 4K Extreme 12G are all able to do support full duplex. Also, the Ultrastudio 4K and 4K Extreme (when shipping) are full duplex. To confirm on above products, the inputs and outputs can be used at same time

The question about inputs and channels needs better explanation. When you see two inputs like Decklink 4K pro and 4K Extremes, the two inputs are A and B and are not separate channels. They support 3D stereo inputs from two camera setups and Dual link support when necessary. They are two input channels and two output channels on Decklink cards when you see 4 BNC and genlock on Decklink 4K Pro.

Andres Gonzalez

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 am

Thanks for the clarification.

-Andres

Roman Zaytsev

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 6:22 am

So you're saying that Decklink 4k pro it's just two independent channels for input and output, not Ch A and Ch B? Or it has an internal keyer and works like 4k Extreme?

brent Marvich

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 8:37 pm

I am using the Decklink studio 4k and the outputs have the same signal that is on the input. When I choose the Output in any software then the input gets disabled. How is this full duplex?

Maurizio Bianchella

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 7:36 am

I'm doing some tests using the Decklink Studio 4k, and the ds filters.
I'm able to use the capture filter and the render one at the same time, but in different graphs.
Just for a test (and I'll probabilly need of this) I've used the two filters (capture and render) in the same graph, connected as Capture --> Render to show to the render the input signal. Unfortunatelly it didn't work.
It is possibile to di it?
Maurizio Bianchella
Italy

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Aug 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I've just used Deckling 4K SDI with 10.4.2 drivers and I can loop IN with OUT and play video with e.g. MediaExpress and capture this signal in other app which can use BM as input. Maybe it depends on the application design?
Maybe some of them lock the whole card, where others juts IN/OUT part.

Zach Schuster

PostWed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Can anyone elaborate on this topic? I'm getting confused between channels and A and B nomenclature.

Let's say I wanted to ingest 2 different camera sources at the same time and then do something like a split screen, picture-in-picture, or some other unique effect. I also wanted to utilize some sort of greyscale image for translucency.

With a DeckLink 4K Pro could I ingest the two camera sources and simultaneously output a key and fill on the outputs?
Zach Schuster
SuiteCG- An All-in-One Graphics System for Live Sports
www.suitecg.com

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 4:38 pm

Zach.
The Decklink Cards with 4K in their name as well as Ultrastudio 4K (both models ) are full duplex products.
Also the new Decklink Quad 2 can be configured to be full duplex so that 4 of the connectors are inputs and they are connected using a virtual device connection to 4 outputs using video utility or SDK. All previous cards, Decklink SDI, Studio 2, Extreme 3D, and current Decklink Mini Recorder and Monitor products are half duplex.

To your question about current cards- If there are two inputs labeled A and B like Decklink 4K PRO, Decklink 4k Extreme 6G and 4K extreme 12G, the y provide Dual link capability (some cameras used two cabled outputs to support DUAL link 3G) or stereoscopic 3D . They are not two separate channels of input.

Two ingest two different signal from two different , you would need a Decklink SDI 4K with Decklink 4K pro or two Decklink 4K Pro (depending on your 4K signal format and frame rate) to captures two camera sources and send out fill and key with using your example. Alternatively, the new QUAD 2 can do this all on one board with up to 1080p60 422 YUV support.

Zach Schuster

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks Matt,

That's making more sense. Would the Decklink DUO work in this situation? The tech specs seem to indicate it would, unless I'm missing something (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-01). This would be for 1080p/60 max. I would not need 4K.
Zach Schuster
www.suitecg.com

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Zach-
Sorry no. the DUO (current was launched 2010) is two input or two outputs or one in and one out as it is two half duplex devices. It can max output 1080p30 and does not have dedicated fill and key. Best to use new Quad 2 in your idea.

Matt Jefferson

Zach Schuster

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 6:28 pm

Okay. Thanks!
Zach Schuster
www.suitecg.com

Hussain Kadir

PostWed Oct 26, 2016 9:57 am

Just wanted to followup on this
If i get a DeckLink Studio 4K can I do the following:
Simultaneously take 3 difference sources via SDI input, HDMI input and analog input of the same card.
Then mix it via software e.g VMix Go
And then output it via the HDMI or SDI of the same card

Dave Johnstone

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 4:49 am

No, this is a single channel card: 1 capture, 1 playback. You can choose one from the SDI, HDMI or Analogue inputs.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

Craig Marshall

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 5:10 am

One big advantage of the Decklink SDI Pro 4K card (watch out, it's a x8 PCIe card) is the two independent SDI outputs where SDI # 2 offers real time, hardware downscale from 4K to HD. In our case, we run SDI #1 to a 55" 4K 'client' monitor whilst we grade 4K down scaled to HD on our current 24" calibrated display.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Hussain Kadir

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 7:59 pm

thanks for the replies guys, so just to clarify the DeckLink Studio 4K can do 1 input + 1 output simultaneously? (but not all 3 inputs)

Fabrice Lorenceau

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Anyone knows how many total 12G inputs and outputs we can use at the same time on a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G.

It has 2 SDI in and outs. So it can do 2 full duplex from what I read here. However, if can you also use the SFP or HDMI inputs/outputs in addition to the 4 SDI ?

I am wondering when you hit the limit both with the card or with the numbers of lanes in the PCI express.

Note that I am specifically interested in UHD in/out (6G or 12G).

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm

On the Extreme card only 1 input can be active at a time.. ;) you can use 2 sdi inputs when you go Dual link or 3D.. But not 2 seperated captures..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

vulpini

PostTue May 29, 2018 9:42 am

Matt Jefferson wrote:Zach.
The Decklink Cards with 4K in their name as well as Ultrastudio 4K (both models ) are full duplex products.

Hi Matt, we do have a "BM Decklink SDI 4k" and i cannot find the setting for this. I'd like to use both SDI connectors as outputs. Shouldn't be there a mapping setting where i specify the input as secont output?

Ian Morrish

PostTue May 29, 2018 6:56 pm

The SDI 4k only has 1 input and 1 output. They can both be used at the same time which is what full duplex means. The card also has an internal keyer so software can superimpose content on the video passing through the card (this works well with Resolume).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

mdupraz

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi.
Is the Decklink Duo 2 a full duplex board?
Thank you,
Mariano

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 am

Yes. It has 2 in and 2 outputs.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dave@nakedeyedv.com

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 4:23 am

The Duo2 is 4 in or 4 out or any combination of either or. So 3 in and 1 out etc.

Tech Specs: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-DLK-31

IsseSwe

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Matt Jefferson wrote:Also, the Ultrastudio 4K and 4K Extreme (when shipping) are full duplex. To confirm on above products, the inputs and outputs can be used at same time.

I would really like to read an example with a setup of the US4K in Full duplx mode As I have not got it to work on both directions at one time. Can anyone shed som light on this?
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

Mike Visconti

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 8:58 am

Question on 4k Extreme 12G: will the Fiber output as a matched signal, like the HDMI does? Could I have a client monitor on the HDMI, the SDI goes to a router, and then the fiber going to a separate display? for 3 displays total? Or is there a way to get both of the copper SDI to output the same signal? Just discovered swapped cable labeling by the installer at the back end, so this part is not the issue I thought it was. :cry: But the 12G part (which seems to be indicated as likely, but want to be sure).

Return to Software Developers