4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Donnell Henry

Re: 4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

PostMon Mar 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Rick thinking about it now, would they really put switchable global shutter on the URSA? Too many complaints of how heavy it is, or the ergonomic factor. Isn't that why the Ursa mini was born? You'd probably find the Ursa on sticks way more than its used handheld..that's just a guess of course. Now if they updated their shoulder mount like on the Ursa mini, i can see a bigger selling point for switchable global shutter on "BIG DADDY" so to speak. :D Maybe in the end the biggest thing that would come from the Turret that separates it from the mini is higher frame rates, and thats worst case scenario. I really want to be wrong here :D
GODS CREATE

cobydax

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 am

rick.lang wrote:I don't think you'll feel quite so betrayed when you are the first to have a 4.6K turret that supports user selectable global shutter and rolling shutter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick, do you know something the rest of us do not?
"WHEN we have selectable global shutter"...?

You meant to write "IF", correct?

Brandon Richardson

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 3:56 am

Well since we have a lot of the forum Ursa Owners pow wowing in this thread. I propose we start a new thread for some much needed feature request. Like a full suite of in camera exposure assist tools like RGB Parade, False color, 3D Luts possibly, Vector Scope. I don't really need the viewfinder for the Big Ursa so I would much rather have in camera tools. Then ill fly the Mini on the shoulder with the viewfinder when it calls for it. If SDI in is not being used made the program button could be used to cycle. Or it could be overlayed on the 10 inch or just one 5 inch. If I'm not in the minority i think that would be major firmware upgrade to look forward too if implemented.

Guy Fiorita

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:35 am

Hey Rick - Just to be clear, I don't feel betrayed ;) If my comments come off that way it is unintentional. I personally find betrayed to be a strong word and not one I would use when talking about camera gear. When I bought the Ursa there was no guarantee of anything, it was a pretty killer system for 6k. My point is that when BM made the announcement about the turrets coming out first and there was no follow up announcement when that didn't happen. When the gps got taken out of the mini we found out why and when there was no global shutter in the mini we heard the reasoning. If something that was announced changes, BM is pretty good about communicating why things changed.

John Brawley

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:38 am

Brandon Richardson wrote:Well since we have a lot of the forum Ursa Owners pow wowing in this thread. I propose we start a new thread for some much needed feature request. Like a full suite of in camera exposure assist tools like RGB Parade, False color, 3D Luts possibly, Vector Scope. I don't really need the viewfinder for the Big Ursa so I would much rather have in camera tools. Then ill fly the Mini on the shoulder with the viewfinder when it calls for it. If SDI in is not being used made the program button could be used to cycle. Or it could be overlayed on the 10 inch or just one 5 inch. If I'm not in the minority i think that would be major firmware upgrade to look forward too if implemented.

A 10" waveform would be awesome !!

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:43 am

Guy, you have a good attitude, so I may have been using language that was too florid for the situation. I should have said, "less disappointed."

Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:50 am

Although the current URSA may not be used on your shoulder as easily as the URSA Mini, I think the next turret upgrade for the current URSA will be the default turret on the next iteration of the URSA; John Brawley had suggested making that next URSA out of magnesium for a significant weight reduction, and I'm sure that could happen, but I fully expect the next iteration of the URSA will see additional changes some of which will be in keeping with the three-person crew nature of the URSA and others to improve the ergonomics and its use for purposes outside the studio setting or necessarily on a tripod.

If the URSA Micro happens, you might see the same removable sensor turret but restricted to slower frame rates than the URSA Mark II. It seems to me the ARRI Mini and the RED Weapon/Scarlet-W/Raven may have shown BMD that their URSA Mini is still a 'large' camera now these other cameras are available and they may wish to design a hybrid of the URSA, the Mini, and the Micro Cinema cameras for people drawn to those other cameras. I'm sure they will be adding WiFi and/or Bluetooth to an URSA Micro.

Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:50 am

No, I'm not privy to anything BMD has planned, I'm simply expanding on the reality that the global shutter option is not likely to be a firmware only implementation on the URSA Mini, so if it does come, it is more likely to appear in the URSA turret upgrade.

In the choice between preferring higher dynamic range or global shutter, some people may rarely use it. Others may use it almost exclusively. But having the choice is very nice.
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Joshua Dredge

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 4:54 am

Do people really take an intention to provide something as a reward for loyalty as an ironclad promise?

The most important thing BM could have done was ship the URSA mini and Micro cam - that way people have new cameras. For the 4.6K turret, customers already have very, very useable cameras. There's no indication that it's been discontinued, and user-upgradabilty to the camera is simply too good of a marketing point for it to have been discontinued.

I've already spent the money I had set aside for a 4.6K turret, so I'm in no hurry now.
Also don't care about global shutter, though with the URSAs slow motion capabilities, it's a lot more understandable why people would.

Guy Fiorita

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 5:49 am

Joshua Dredge wrote:Do people really take an intention to provide something as a reward for loyalty as an ironclad promise?

I don't think most people saw it as an ironclad promise and there were murmurs of this happening so it wasn't a total surprise. But if you were at a restaurant and the host told you you had the next table and then gave it to someone else, you'd want to know what happened.

Joshua Dredge

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Guy Fiorita wrote:I don't think most people saw it as an ironclad promise and there were murmurs of this happening so it wasn't a total surprise. But if you were at a restaurant and the host told you you had the next table and then gave it to someone else, you'd want to know what happened.

I guess. I just thought it was really obvious what happened.

Donnell Henry

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Brandon Richardson wrote:Well since we have a lot of the forum Ursa Owners pow wowing in this thread. I propose we start a new thread for some much needed feature request. Like a full suite of in camera exposure assist tools like RGB Parade, False color, 3D Luts possibly, Vector Scope. I don't really need the viewfinder for the Big Ursa so I would much rather have in camera tools. Then ill fly the Mini on the shoulder with the viewfinder when it calls for it. If SDI in is not being used made the program button could be used to cycle. Or it could be overlayed on the 10 inch or just one 5 inch. If I'm not in the minority i think that would be major firmware upgrade to look forward too if implemented.

+ 1
GODS CREATE

Daniel DarkSide

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Hello all i bought the Full URSA 4.6K when they started taking pre-orders :cry: I AM DYING!! I love my BM cameras and really just wanted to take the plunge and buy the big dog! I'm tiered of hearing "soon" "these things indicate to me that we're getting very close to a release" and "i understand your frustration" so i decided that i should join this support group. :( :( :cry: :cry: :?

Gavin_c_clark

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 9:00 am

Any news?

Andreas Caemmerer

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 am

John Brawley wrote:

A 10" waveform would be awesome !!

JB

+1

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Daniel DarkSide wrote:Hello all... i decided that i should join this support group. :( :( :cry: :cry: :?

May the Force be with you, welcome to the Light.
Rick Lang

John Simatos

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 7:31 am

Anyone else planning on selling the big dog for the baby? I think I'm leaving towards it at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andreas Caemmerer

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 9:20 am

John Simatos wrote:Anyone else planning on selling the big dog for the baby? I think I'm leaving towards it at this point.

We will keep the URSA having the option to shoot GS and RS. I wonder how much hassle it will be to change the turrets though...

Joshua Dredge

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 12:13 pm

John Simatos wrote:Anyone else planning on selling the big dog for the baby? I think I'm leaving towards it at this point.

Nooope.

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Andreas, the instructions for changing the turret are in the manual. There's more to it than unscrewing four screws and it is intended to be an upgrade performed once, although I'm sure it could be reversed and repeated with the right supplies.

Rick Lang

Andreas Caemmerer

PostSun Mar 27, 2016 8:33 am

The manual says: "URSA is designed to be occasionally upgraded, but not frequently."

Maybe "not frequently" is often enough to switch to the old turret when we *really* need GS. We'll see...

Lee Jackson

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 3:25 am

Just Purchased the BIG URSA (it's on the Fedex truck now) and will wait for the sensor upgrade.
I was going to wait to purchase the complete 4.6k version but got tired of waiting.

I made it evident that I wanted the V2 version. I just hope that's what I get in two days.

Brandon Richardson

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 3:56 am

I bit the bullet and bought a mini, came last Tuesday. Fell in my lap so whenever the turret drops I'll pick that up I guess. The Mini is so light compared to the Ursa unless I've just got really strong carrying it lol. I may end up selling it and picking up a second Mini.

Daniel DarkSide

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 2:37 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Daniel DarkSide wrote:Hello all... i decided that i should join this support group. :( :( :cry: :cry: :?

May the Force be with you, welcome to the Light.

Thanks I can't wait to use it! I love my other two BM's so i know this one will be even more amazing! :D Till

John Simatos

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 8:47 am

Bump

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 4:45 pm

John, it's been a long wait and lots of questions, but less than two weeks until NAB 2016 and answers!

Rick Lang

robmneilson

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 2:08 am

Now that it seems that PL Mini's are shipping...does that mean we will get our turrets soon??

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 3:36 am

robmneilson wrote:Now that it seems that PL Mini's are shipping...does that mean we will get our turrets soon??

No.

From what it sounds like, they're trying to get global shutter working on the turrets.

So the PL Minis don't really mean anything. Maybe we'll find out about the turrets at NAB. I'd hope so...
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

John Simatos

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 5:17 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
robmneilson wrote:Now that it seems that PL Mini's are shipping...does that mean we will get our turrets soon??

No.

From what it sounds like, they're trying to get global shutter working on the turrets.

So the PL Minis don't really mean anything. Maybe we'll find out about the turrets at NAB. I'd hope so...

Really? I heard the turrets will have the same specs as the mini for now. Which is kind of disappointing. But this is hearsay - based on a conversation another person shared with bmd.

Lee Jackson

PostSat Apr 16, 2016 5:12 am

That's about as much as I would use slo mo.

Brandon Richardson

PostSat Apr 16, 2016 5:27 am

They need to do something to keep the original Ursa as the flagship. As it stand now the 4.6K Mini is the current flagship camera. Maybe they can bump the 4.6K sensor up to 5.7K 6K and squeeze some more DR out of it.

John Simatos

PostSat Apr 16, 2016 7:52 am

Brandon Richardson wrote:They need to do something to keep the original Ursa as the flagship. As it stand now the 4.6K Mini is the current flagship camera. Maybe they can bump the 4.6K sensor up to 5.7K 6K and squeeze some more DR out of it.

4.6k is already overkill, it just needs to have the higher frame rate and better build quality as was promised.

Lee Jackson

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 am

Brandon Richardson wrote:They need to do something to keep the original Ursa as the flagship. As it stand now the 4.6K Mini is the current flagship camera. Maybe they can bump the 4.6K sensor up to 5.7K 6K and squeeze some more DR out of it.

+1

robmneilson

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 5:08 pm

So....NAB is underway, any news on ETA of turrets for the big Ursa?

Daniel DarkSide

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 5:10 pm

So BM announced that they are updating the software on the mini what are the reasons why not to cancel my order of the URSA and get the mini..... concerned :|

John Simatos

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Daniel DarkSide wrote:So BM announced that they are updating the software on the mini what are the reasons why not to cancel my order of the URSA and get the mini..... concerned :|

Same boat man. I think it's safe to say we can forget the ursa. I'm gonna try and sell and get a mini

Daniel DarkSide

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 5:26 pm

John Simatos wrote:
Daniel DarkSide wrote:So BM announced that they are updating the software on the mini what are the reasons why not to cancel my order of the URSA and get the mini..... concerned :|

Same boat man. I think it's safe to say we can forget the ursa. I'm gonna try and sell and get a mini

This is killing me! If I pulled my URSA 4.6K order then i would be put at the back of the line and at that point i would NEVER get my camera!

John Fishback

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 5:44 pm

This is killing me. It's unacceptable that BM makes no announcement re URSA. We love our URSA and ordered the 4.6K turret 30 minutes after it was announced.Upgradeability was why we bought it in the first place. I'm not pissed we have to wait. I'm pissed because there's no communication. What is going on???
John Fishback

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Yeah I can't help but feel a little ignored. What's up with no updates for the Ursa. No announcements. Nothing.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

James Parker

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Just an update would be appreciated on what's going on. I'd love all the features of 3.2 now on the original URSA. We use 6 in live production setting.

J.Parker

Donnell Henry

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 6:32 pm

They mentioned in an earlier thread that the turrets are coming. They're working on it. I'm waiting on a PL myself as I now have all PL MOUNT lenses. I figure when they release the new operating system for the mini, there'll be one specifically designed for the Ursa with the newly shipping Turrets. I'm hoping for something new, like higher frame rates than what we expect ..Or 2k and 1080p selectable shooting resolutions in non windowed mode.
GODS CREATE

Gavin_c_clark

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Wow. This is a real kick in the teeth.

Not even a mention. Meanwhile the mini keeps on getting better. And yes I'm jealous because I bought an ursa before the mini existed

When will 'the worlds first user upgradable digital film camera' actually be user upgradable?

I don't like to criticise people, especially when I don't do their job, and I don't run an international broadcast equipment business, but if I treated my customers this way I'd be out of business.

Come on blackmagic, be better than this

John Simatos

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:Wow. This is a real kick in the teeth.

Not even a mention. Meanwhile the mini keeps on getting better. And yes I'm jealous because I bought an ursa before the mini existed

When will 'the worlds first user upgradable digital film camera' actually be user upgradable?

I don't like to criticise people, especially when I don't do their job, and I don't run an international broadcast equipment business, but if I treated my customers this way I'd be out of business.

Come on blackmagic, be better than this

I feel the same way. Everything catered towards the mini. Even the studio monitor is mini only.

Donnell Henry

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 8:21 pm

:D guys it's coming ..you know the old saying..."save the best for last"
GODS CREATE

John Fishback

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 9:01 pm

Here's hoping you're right, Donnell. I thought the delay might be because a global shutter was possible for URSA because of its greater processing power when compared to the Mini. Who knows? It'd be nice if they just said anything.
John Fishback

John Simatos

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Donnell Henry wrote::D guys it's coming ..you know the old saying..."save the best for last"

At this point coming soon is not good enough. It's been too long and then there are things being announced for mini only. Which only rubs it in further. No one will want an ursa when the far superior, better supported mini is available.

Donnell Henry

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 9:31 pm

John Simatos wrote:
Donnell Henry wrote::D guys it's coming ..you know the old saying..."save the best for last"

At this point coming soon is not good enough. It's been too long and then there are things being announced for mini only. Which only rubs it in further. No one will want an ursa when the far superior, better supported mini is available.

John I want it now too :D After having been thru this before with the Bmcc and bmp4k, which BM did update after a while. I've learned that if I'm going to invest in Blackmagic cameras more than likely I'll have some waiting to do :D I know it's coming for our URSA's. After all, it's their flagship camera. When our turrets and update arrive I'm fairly confident it will be superior to the ursa mini in features. It's taking a while, but I have a feeling they will deliver for us and then some. I've been waiting on the turret just like most if not all URSA owners, I have a pair of Schniedar xenars 3's PL in a closet screaming to come out, so I feel your pain John.
Last edited by Donnell Henry on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GODS CREATE

Donnell Henry

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 9:37 pm

John Fishback wrote:Here's hoping you're right, Donnell. I thought the delay might be because a global shutter was possible for URSA because of its greater processing power when compared to the Mini. Who knows? It'd be nice if they just said anything.

Yes John it would've been nice for sure. I agree. I read in an earlier thread that they were still working on it and it was not as simple as just sticking a sensor in the turret. Also, like I mentioned above, since it's their flagship camera who knows what they're trying to squeeze out of this sensor to set the URSA 4.6k apart from the Ursa mini 4.6k
GODS CREATE

John Simatos

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 10:10 pm

One can hope! We'll see! I'll stick with it for the moment but I don't know how long I'll last!

Guy Fiorita

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm just going to assume it's never happening and be pleasantly surprised if it does. In other news I just spent a month using the fs7 on a project and really liked it.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography