Quickly Relinking VFX Shots, Speedier Repos

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ElliotMSmith

Quickly Relinking VFX Shots, Speedier Repos

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 3:02 am

So I'm conforming a feature, there's like 800 VFX shots. It was shot on RED. I've been able to get the RED footage in pretty quickly by brining in the xml and telling it to use filenames in the conform settings.

I always assumed with the VFX shots that I'd have to do them basically one at a time. However there's been a shipping snafu by the VFX guys and now the drive is going to be 2 days late to get to me, and the movie needs to get right so it can get to the colorist, which unfortunately isn't me this time. Right now there's a bunch of temp VFX shots as ProRes Offlines, I need to replace those with high res DPX final VFX shots.

Is there a faster way to swap out Temp VFX shots for High Res VFX shots rather than doing this than one clip at a time?

Also, there's about a million tiny repos that are going to have to be done based on looking at the offline reference clip and how the clips came into Resolve, does anyone have any speed tips on massive amounts of small repos?

Thanks!
ElliotTheColorist.com

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Quickly Relinking VFX Shots, Speedier Repos

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 3:33 am

your in for a lot of manual work.

if the editorial cannot provide a good aaf that carry the tc/tape Id that Resolve can use, you're out of luck.

workflow need to be tested early and well, you cannot expect to automagically make it work.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

ElliotMSmith

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 10:31 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:your in for a lot of manual work.

if the editorial cannot provide a good aaf that carry the tc/tape Id that Resolve can use, you're out of luck.

workflow need to be tested early and well, you cannot expect to automagically make it work.

And if the naming conventions were kept the same between the temp vfx and the new high res vfx shots? How do I quickly relink all of those?
ElliotTheColorist.com

Stepan Ko

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 11:06 pm

So how about this: i normally copy a raw shot onto another track (from video track on to video track 2) then switch off the force conform tick in the right click menu, then i get an option to select either the raw or the dpx in the take selector (because they are of the same timecode). That way the newly selected dpx sequence keeps the positioning and the grade from the raw. This is obviosly too long for 800 shots. But could you duplicate all of the raw clips that need to be swapped to one single track (let's say track 5) the copy that track into a new timeline and reconform that from a bin that has only the dpx in it? Never done any of this so talking out of my arse but maybe it will help...

Marc Wielage

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 1:24 am

ElliotMSmith wrote:And if the naming conventions were kept the same between the temp vfx and the new high res vfx shots? How do I quickly relink all of those?

The Relink command should work from the Media page. Highlight the temp effects, right click, select Relink, and choose the new high-res VFX folder for source files, and it should "in theory" work if the file names are identical. This is pretty typical for an R3D/ProRes workflow.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Lucas Pfaff

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 12:22 pm

You could also try this:

Import the VFX Shots in a new Bin ("e.g. "vfx"), and then reconform ONLY directing to that folder, not the source footage. And then copy that into your main-timeline.
Sometimes this doesn't work right if some Metadata wasn't preserved correctly, then you can try to go to your Project Settings, Master Projects Settings, Conform Options. There's an option "Assist using reel names from the:", activate that and set it to "Source Clip Filename". If that option is already in use, sometimes it can also help to deactivate it if the conform fails.
If TC is gone though, you are usually out of luck :(

//edit
For relinking the Preview Proxies to the DPX, I don't know if that works by just doing that in the Media Page. I'd conform with the Proxy Files, and then Generate a new (!!) AAF, and then conform from that when the DPX are there.

ElliotMSmith

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. Clients lacked understanding of how involved conforming VFX shots can be, it's being worked out. I just powered through a bunch this morning and will try your suggestions on the next batch. Thanks!
ElliotTheColorist.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve