davinci resolve live - hardware requirements - ultrastudio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Theis Nielsen

davinci resolve live - hardware requirements - ultrastudio

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 11:23 am

im planning to buy a 15" macbook retina, and a ultrastudio express to connect sdi/hdmi from my bmpc4k or sony a7sII. i believe thats a clever monitor solution with great scopes (ultrascope) and davinci live, etc.
1) however can the strongest macbook pro handle to grade n correct in realtime?
2) how could i connect an extra monitor from the laptop, showing the live graded result in fullscreen: output of the ultrastudio, hdmi output of the mac, the second thunderbolt output on the mac?
3)do i really benefit of the retina 2880 x 1800 15", when only getting 1920x1080 in anyway?

regards theis

Theis Nielsen

Re: davinci resolve live - hardware requirements - ultrastud

PostWed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm

To simplify my question: Can a macbook with Iris Pro GPU handle live-grading in resolve?

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 8:35 am

Yes – in SD…

Seriously: forget it!
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Paul Willis

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 9:55 am

A Macbook with only Iris Pro - no. Not worth considering for anything except basic editing.

A Macbook Pro with AMD or the older NVidea graphics - acceptable basic HD grading performance using a codec such as ProRes, not for 4k or UHD. Once you start having output to external monitors and additional displays, the graphics processor is being spread very thinly and it will slow down even more.

The UltraStudio range has outputs for monitoring - use HDMI from this.

Don't buy a laptop for live grading though, it wont handle it.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Theis Nielsen

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 12:00 am

Bad news, just ordered a macbook 15" retina late 2013, with iris pro 5200 only. Though if i really wanted to live-grade, then perhaps i could use the tunderbolt 2, to connect to an external gtx 980 or so..?

Though its still a decent on set monitor (retina+IPS) with scopes/peaks, via ultrascope. Perhaps i can also record into it, or to an external tb-drive, in some situations for some reason. v-lock plate to macbook exist, if internal bat is not enough. Very handy with the i-Visor LS Pro MAG case.

If i can't live-grade, at least i can apply LUT's somehow...? Is the only option a LUT-Box? Then the lut box may be connected between the camera and the ultrastudio express? Is there any software to simply apply lut's to the macbook screen, think not? -Only davinci livegrade could do that :(.
I think i could be more accurate as photographer with the lighting and exposure if i could apply some different lut's to test for examble how things look when the blacks are crushed. no need to 'imagin' the final result. any thoughts on that?

Return to DaVinci Resolve