List of approved SD cards for Cinema Cameras

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Simmons

Re: SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s Please Help!

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 8:05 am

In theory the difference between the 2 cards is that the u3 is guaranteed to write at a minimum of 30MB/s. U1 is guaranteed a minimum of 10MB/s. Upper limits are not guaranteed
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Rauno Linnamäe

Re: List of approved SD cards for the Pocket Cinema Camera

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 3:23 am

IMG_6014 copy.jpg
IMG_6014 copy.jpg (371.82 KiB) Viewed 10630 times
Someone please correct me if my memory fails me, but as far as I recall all 95 MB/s Extreme Pros are suitable for raw. At some point Sandisk changed the label from U1 to U3 as well as label design but the product code and performance remained identical. Attached is a snapshot of two different Extreme Pros (U1 and U3) that I have on my desk that definitely handled raw on BMPCC even before compression was added with a firmware update. Couldn't find any with the older design but they used to work as well.

Edit: I seriously doubt the U1-labelled cards are available any longer.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Adam Simmons

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 7:14 am

Actually the performance is not the same. The one on the left is guaranteed to have a minimum write speed of 10MB/s, the one on the right is guaranteed to have a minimum write speed of 30MB/s. As to the 95MB/s, that isn't a guaranteed speed, but what the card is possible of doing in the right circumstances. Which is why they always say 'up to' rather than ''guaranteed' on the Sandisk site
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 8:15 am

Right, but if the product code is the same, wouldn't that imply that the card hardware is the same (same NAND chips, controller etc), which would then imply the same performance? It is quite possible that given the recent introduction of the U3 certification, it simply hadn't been introduced before the card was designed for production and it took a while to re-test and re-certify the card, and then update all the marketing and branding accordingly. If you have both cards, why not run a few speed tests and see if you obtain close results? If so, coupled with the above, the card hardware is very likely identical and thus the difference is merely the branding.
CAM Gerlach (Christopher A. M. Gerlach)
I am not an expert; take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Adam Simmons

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 8:38 am

Well technically U3 has been around for 2 years, although it may just be that they had already manufactured millions of U1 printed cards and just used them up before switching over, but without having any official technical specs from Sandisk it's not possible to say if they have the same physical components inside.
I was just pointing out that going by the labeling the performance is not the same

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 9:51 am

C.A.M. Gerlach wrote:Right, but if the product code is the same, wouldn't that imply that the card hardware is the same (same NAND chips, controller etc), which would then imply the same performance? It is quite possible that given the recent introduction of the U3 certification, it simply hadn't been introduced before the card was designed for production and it took a while to re-test and re-certify the card, and then update all the marketing and branding accordingly. If you have both cards, why not run a few speed tests and see if you obtain close results? If so, coupled with the above, the card hardware is very likely identical and thus the difference is merely the branding.

I did some quick and non-scientific tests on my MacBook Pro - the performance is virtually identical.

Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 11.42.49 .png
Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 11.42.49 .png (481.41 KiB) Viewed 10608 times

U1
U1.png
U1.png (732.55 KiB) Viewed 10608 times

U3
u3.png
u3.png (732.65 KiB) Viewed 10608 times

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 10:16 am

Adam Simmons wrote:Well technically U3 has been around for 2 years, although it may just be that they had already manufactured millions of U1 printed cards and just used them up before switching over, but without having any official technical specs from Sandisk it's not possible to say if they have the same physical components inside.
I was just pointing out that going by the labeling the performance is not the same

Fair enough, though technically its the certification of attainment of a certain minimum performance that isn't the same rather than the actual stated minimum performance. In any case, semantics really. I'm pretty sure that 95 MB/s card's been in production quite a while now, though 2 years is a long time.

With regard to the speed tests, that's close enough to be within experimental error and random card/controller variation, so its *probably* safe, but technically not 100% guaranteed. If there's any way you can pull the full internal model # of the controller that would resolve it pretty much for sure since that indicates identical card internal hardware; I know you can when testing cards with Magic Lateran on Canon cams as well as getting more realistic speed test results so if you have a Canon SD card DSLR, you can give that a shot. Also, testing recordings at the highest bitrates on both cards and comparing for dropped/corrupted frames would be pretty conclusive. But ultimately, if you want to be super safe and the difference in price isn't much, then it can't hurt to go with U3.
CAM Gerlach (Christopher A. M. Gerlach)
I am not an expert; take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 11:32 am

The 64GB U1 Extreme Pros we have have been used to record both raw and ProRes HQ on BMPCC for over two years now without issues as well as the newer U3-s. One of the U1-s recently had to be RMAd, and as a replacement we received an U3. So I dare say that SDSDXPA-064G is safe to use on BMPCC regardless of what is printed on the label. Just make sure it is genuine and not one of the numerous counterfeits.

Marco Barbaro

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Report:
Sandisk Extreme 16GB 45MB/s not working in ProRes (HQ). It is recognised but drops frames.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 11:29 pm

Marco Barbaro wrote:Report:
Sandisk Extreme 16GB 45MB/s not working in ProRes (HQ). It is recognised but drops frames.

Did you use the Sandisk 16GB 45 MB/sec Extreme SDHC UHS-I? Verify that is exactly the same card down to the information I put in bold above.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Marco Barbaro

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:01 am

Tony Rivera wrote:
Marco Barbaro wrote:Report:

Did you use the Sandisk 16GB 45 MB/sec Extreme SDHC UHS-I? Verify that is exactly the same card down to the information I put in bold above.

It is exactly like this one:

Sandisk Extreme
45MB/s* SDHC I
1 10

in 16gb size.

I have two of them, using on my reflex, never had problem.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:08 am

Are you formatting them in camera and if so, what format?

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Marco Barbaro

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:17 am

Tony Rivera wrote:Are you formatting them in camera and if so, what format?

Yes in camera, exFAT

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:20 am

Try formatting the card(s) on the computer then trying again in the camera. I have seen reports of others trying this method and their card working for them.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Marco Barbaro

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:24 am

Thank you!

Marco Barbaro

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Try formatting the card(s) on the computer then trying again in the camera. I have seen reports of others trying this method and their card working for them.

test done.
the Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s does not record in ProRes HQ, in ExtFAT, HFS+, and EXTFAT formatted from pc, at any frame rate.

It is working in ProRes 422.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 pm

My suggestion is to test with a different SD card on that list to see if the same thing happens with that card. It's odd that you would have the same results with two different cards, much less three.

The other option is to roll back to a previous firmware and then back to a more current one with the camera.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Jesuan Soriano

PostFri May 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi everybody!!!

Finally I got my first BMD camera...the pocket!! Awesome camera. Since I couldn't find any extreme pro right away..I went for the Ultra

Sandisk Ultra SDHC UHS-I Card, Class 10, 80MB/s, 533x, 32GB

It drops frames... ON proxy it works well but for the other flavors it doesn't work. Now I have to stick with it...so I'll use it for proxy only :(

I hope it helps.

Jesus.
Jesus Soriano

Ken Link

PostSat Jul 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Anyone know if I can record RAW with the SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-I/U3 128GB Memory Card (SDSDXNF-128G-GNCIN)? It is U3/class 10 and claims to have up to 90MB/s read and 60MB/s write.

If not, what minimum write speed should I be looking for? I know the approved Extreme Pro card has 90MB/s write speed; just wondering if it can go any lower.

Kent Eanes

Pocket Camera Card Issue

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:17 pm

I’m having an issue with my pocket camera recognizing my new SD ex pro 95mb/s 128gb card. No issues with the same card 64gb. I just updated the camera to 2.1 software (I think that's the most current update). I’ve run the card through disk utility, I’ve tried to format the card in the camera with both format options, receive an “unable to format” notice each time. Any suggestions or input very much appreciated. Thank you, Kent

Denny Smith

Re: List of approved SD cards for Cinema Cameras

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Sounds like you may have a bad card.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kent Eanes

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 am

Thank you

Rauno Linnamäe

Re: Pocket Camera Card Issue

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 am

Kent Eanes wrote:I’m having an issue with my pocket camera recognizing my new SD ex pro 95mb/s 128gb card. No issues with the same card 64gb. I just updated the camera to 2.1 software (I think that's the most current update). I’ve run the card through disk utility, I’ve tried to format the card in the camera with both format options, receive an “unable to format” notice each time. Any suggestions or input very much appreciated. Thank you, Kent

It's a long shot but did you make sure that the lock switch on the card is not on? Sometimes even the best of us overlook the obvious :)

Gary Dewig

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Just picked up a Micro Cinema Camera.

32gb Extreme Pro records raw without issue (95MB/s sdhc u1)
64gb Extreme Pro drops frames in raw and raw 3:1 (95 MB/s sdxc u3 v30)
Ryzen 7 1700 * 16GB DDR4 2666 * Nvidia 1060 6GB * Media Drive Samsung SSD 250GB * Win 10

Run Rabbit Rick

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Has anyone tried the Samsung EVO Select 256gb card in a BMPCC?

It seems like it has the specs to work properly but it's not on the list.

"Up to 100MB/s & 90MB/s read & write speeds respectively; Class 10 UHS 3 High-performance for 4K UHD video recording"

Xtreemtec

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 pm

MicroSD is NOT recomended at all!! The change of a loose contact in the adapter card is likely.. Also the memory used on those smaller cards is so dense it generates a lot of heat while running at high speeds.. More heat then a SD card..

So i guess your better off buying the normal size cards. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Alex Butler

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Also with success at raw 30p is the cheaper Integral ultimate pro cards!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TS4BX1Y/ ... .DbG0EPQ7Z

dondidnod

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Using the Integral Ultima Pro V30 SDXC 256GB (100MB/s read/90 MB/s write) on a BMPCC 4K, I was able to shoot for over 2 minutes Braw Constant Quality (Q0) 4K DCI as well as 3:1 if I drop down to 24 fps.

At 25 fps Braw 3:1 at 4K DCI, it would stop after 24 sec.

I was also able to shoot Braw 3:1 at 2.8K, 2.6K and 4K 2.4:1 for over 30 sec. at 29.97 fps. Prores 422 also works at 4K DCI and UHD at 29.97 fps. When I tried 4K DCI or UHD at 29.97 fps, I could not go any longer than 8 or 12 sec. before it dropped frames.

I did the test on action scenes from STAR WARS, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

I bought two of them on Black Friday for 44.30 GBP ($57.61 USD) from Amazon UK.

I saw a post here that these work for recording cdng raw on the old BMPCC as well.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 4:33 pm

Not approved yet, but Wise V90 SDXC UHS-II cards coming mid-April 2022 in capacities up to 512GB! I’ll keep an eye out for these…

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/03/23/ ... ory-cards/
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 9:05 am

forget every sd card tech sepc with except of Vxx code
the only value that give you a safety value is Vxx.
V30 = 30mb speed guarantee
v60 = 60mb speed guarantee and more
all others value are marketing value, and or read values, the only code that is a certification is Vxx where producer tested card to have a sustained speed for all capacity of card (some cards / disk had peak speed but not constant speed to write filling the support).
where you not find that value, you not have any garantee of constant speed, that are a needings to record video on cinema camera (or photo camera, like gh5 which need a v90 to record at maximum bitrate videos 4kdci).
Previous

Return to Cinematography