creates live timeline for offline version

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MarcusWolschon

creates live timeline for offline version

PostMon May 02, 2016 5:37 am

Is there a way to get an XML or Resolve Projekt from an Atem switch based on the camera changes done live as a starting point for an offline edit right after the show?
I wonder why I have to do all that work again instead if just tweaking and perfecting it in a Multicam project with matching timecode.

rogersuski

Re: creates live timeline for offline version

PostTue May 03, 2016 4:16 am

LiveCut from ToolsOnAir

Softron also has a solution.

Baz

PostTue May 03, 2016 11:36 pm

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Evan Daum

PostMon May 23, 2016 3:20 am

How much are you charging for this unit Baz? Also, if you use it with a TVS, where would the TC be derived from? Just TC from when it was turned on? How do I tie that back to the camera files?

-Evan

Baz

PostTue May 24, 2016 12:25 am

Evan Daum wrote:How much are you charging for this unit Baz?

There are 2 versions;
Event Logger is the standard version - US$325
This uses the built in timecode that the ATEM generates.

Event Logger422 is the enhanced version - US$495
This can use either the built in timecode that the ATEM generates or incoming timecode read from the RS422 port of a recording deck.

Evan Daum wrote:Also, if you use it with a TVS, where would the TC be derived from? Just TC from when it was turned on?

With all the older ATEM's the timecode is internally generated, which starts at zero from power up.
With the newer ATEM's (4k versions) that have timecode in/out connectors, the internal timecode is used but that can be locked to any incoming timecode the ATEM receives. On the older ATEMs that have timecode in/out connectors BMD never got that going (at least up to v6.7). Older firmware on the ATEM 4k never had the 24fps timecode working but they fixed that not so long ago.

Evan Daum wrote:How do I tie that back to the camera files?

The Event logger has the ability to offset the timecodes on export to EDL.
The usual way to do this is to use a visual cue (camera flash etc) that all the camera's can see and then use their individual timecodes to offset the ATEM timecode. I use an iPhone clapperboard app and just get a quick shot of the screen on each camera. But of course different shoots would require different styles but its all a workaround. Of course you could also just offset each camera in the timeline once sync is determined. (really easy in PremCC multcam mode)

But when using the later ATEM's you could send the ATEM timecode out to each camera/deck, providing you spent the gazzillions of dollars buying that type of equipment.

In the demo you see the exported EDL being loaded into a FCP7 timeline which then appears as offline media. If you export an EDL from the Event Logger without making any offset adjustments you can lay up the main video record (output of the ATEM) and lining up '1st cut'. Then the rest of the cuts and dissolves will be in place. Then all you have to do is lay on top all the other camera recordings iso's) and sync them up either visually in the edit program or using something like 'Pluraleyes' if the edit program does not have audiotrack auto syncing like PremCC has.

In my workflow I use a Hyperdeck studio to feed the RS422 connection on the EventLogger422.
On bigger jobs where I have all camera's that have timecode in (ala Sony EX3) I use a ATEM 4k and take the timecode out and feed into the local decks and out thru a (barely legal) FM radio transmitter on 88.8Mhz and have small FM radio's at each camera feeding the timecode inputs. Very effective! I sometimes run cables too if the runs are not too long, but really, nowdays, its not that hard to sync up a timeline; its only when you get a cameraman who thinks he is using filmstock and persistently buttons off and on. With those type of cameramen around is good reason never to ban guns.

In summary, the most important thing you need is the cuts and dissolves sequence into a timeline; the rest is relatively easy, providing you have the correct workflow.

I hope the above helps a little to understand its usage.

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Evan Daum

PostTue May 24, 2016 4:49 am

Is there any way to display the timecode from a TVS on a screen or 7-seg display to shoot as a slate on the camera(s) to tie back to the EDL?

Baz

PostTue May 24, 2016 5:19 am

Evan Daum wrote:Is there any way to display the timecode from a TVS on a screen or 7-seg display to shoot as a slate on the camera(s) to tie back to the EDL?

The timecode that the ATEM generates is always running locked to output framerate but it is not continuously available.
The only way you can get the ATEM time is to ask the ATEM for it or read it as it sends it on certain status changes.
It is possible to make a box to read it and display it but you wouldn't want to have it read every frame (every 40mS) as it would overwhelm the ATEM.
I designed a box that read an instance of the ATEM timecode and 'flywheeled it' only needing to update occasionally. I also added a DtoA and created an LTC output but there was little or no interest in it.

baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Evan Daum

PostTue May 24, 2016 5:15 pm

I would be interested in that as a visual TC slate to use with your logger. The LTC would be useful too.

Can your logger convert the 29.97 EDL to 23.98 on export if you're shooting 24p in the cameras but using 60i with the TVS for live switching? That would be a very useful feature.

-Evan

Baz

PostTue May 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Evan Daum wrote:I would be interested in that as a visual TC slate to use with your logger. The LTC would be useful too.

Can your logger convert the 29.97 EDL to 23.98 on export if you're shooting 24p in the cameras but using 60i with the TVS for live switching? That would be a very useful feature.

-Evan

The Event Logger does not do any number crunching other that offset adjustments.
I guess it could be possible if I had all the algorithms. But I know there are stand alone software solutions that can convert EDL's; I know my Avid Symphony came with an EDL manager that does something like that but I have never used it.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm

FEATURE REQUEST: This really should be a feature in the Atem.

Integrate Atem live switching and Resolve offline editing by exporting an EDL.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:.

+10 for this feature. To integrate Atem and Resolve even more.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mikael Bellina

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 am

+
Xtreemtec wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:.

+10 for this feature. To integrate Atem and Resolve even more.. ;)

+20 for this feature !
16.1.1 Studio / 2690v2 / rtx 2080 ti / ssd / W10 last
Atem Tvs Hd / hyperdeck studio mini

Mikael Bellina

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Let's hope they will do in the Atem with the way they went forward with the mini iso !
16.1.1 Studio / 2690v2 / rtx 2080 ti / ssd / W10 last
Atem Tvs Hd / hyperdeck studio mini

Return to Live Production