Usra Mini 4.6k timecode issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jesse Mrau

PostTue May 17, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm curious if anyone else has encountered issues when jamming an Ursa Mini 4.6k. Recently got the camera and I love it so far, but I was doing some tests and can't seem to figure where the problem lies.

Using a Sound Devices 744T, I jammed a Denecke SB-3 and used it to continuously jam timecode to the camera. I also sent reference audio through a hardwired breakaway cable. I synchronized the files in Premiere and the timecode on the footage appears to be just under three frames late. The video is in sync with the reference audio recorded directly to camera, but what was recorded on the 744T is not lining up.

I tried it again with a different recorder and syncbox, a Sound Devices 702T and Ambient ACL204, as well as a Denecke TS-3 to visually reference. I encountered the same issue where files were nearly three frames out of sync. The timecode shown on the slate and the audio files match, but video is out of sync with the slate. I should state that in both instances I'm certain the settings were correct on all equipment, 23.976fps 48KHz. At least it appears to be consistent so it should be simple enough to adjust in post and get close enough, but it does bother me that it's not exactly in sync. Also I hope it is something that stays constant and doesn't drift further over time.

Any insight how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Maybe it's a completely separate issue that I'm not thinking of, perhaps in Premiere? Or if it's just a matter of compensating for it, I can live with that. I'll do some more lengthy tests and see what happens, maybe export an OMF and drop the "synchronized" files into Pro Tools and see exactly how far they are apart they are in milliseconds and samples.

Cheers!

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Usra Mini 4.6k timecode issues

PostWed May 25, 2016 5:39 am

Did you ever find a cause or fix for this issue?

EDIT: I also saw in the B&H reviews from one DP who had a similar timecode problems, tried to to jam-sync using Lockit Box, Deneke, Sound Devices recorders, etc. but couldn't get the timecode to work at all. I have a feeling this is another of BMD advertised features that is aspirational rather than actual. Perhaps it will be fixed in a future firmware update, or like the Global Shutter it will never be implemented.

EDIT #2 on May 8th 2017: Finally got it to work consistently on my Ursa Mini. See below for details. The timecode lines up with the audio recorder, but the audio on the slates is consistently a frame behind. The trick now will be finding a way to offset either the audio or the timecode on a whole batch of clips at once. I haven't found a way to do this in Resolve.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Tue May 09, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Jesse Mrau

PostSat May 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Yes, I received a PM about the problem. It looks as though it's a known issue and will hopefully be fixed in future firmware. For now, compensating for the three frame delay or recording Aux TC is the solution. Cheers!

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Jun 04, 2016 10:42 pm

Jesse Mrau wrote:Yes, I received a PM about the problem. It looks as though it's a known issue and will hopefully be fixed in future firmware. For now, compensating for the three frame delay or recording Aux TC is the solution. Cheers!

Glad you got an answer. Thank you for sharing it.
I have to say, it is totally negligent that during the camera beta BMD wouldn't have remedied such a standard issue as proper timecode sync.
www.cinedocs.com

paulgolden

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 2:40 am

Yes, I experienced this also this week for my first jam sync shoot with the Ursa Mini 4.6K. What's weird is that the Ursa was 3 or 4 frames AHEAD of the SD recorder and TC Slate. We were able to fix it by offsetting in Resolve, but it is disquieting.

The other major suckiness with TC on the Ursa Mini is the lack of visual SMPTE display instead of the elapsed time counter. It makes it hard to confirm that jam sync is working properly (which in this case it's not!). This also makes it hard for my script supervisor to reference where we are in her notes.

@BMD:
Suggestion 1: allow display of SMPTE/TOD or elapsed time or both!
Suggestion 2: display the current file name during recording or playback. I don't even have to explain why this is useful.
Suggestion 3: fix the TC offset problem or allow manual offset from a jammed TC source.

John Fishback

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 1:18 am

We use Timecode Buddy which besides generating timecode and reference broadcasts it using wifi so anyone with an iPhone or iPad can view synced timecode.
John Fishback

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 4:29 am

John Fishback wrote:We use Timecode Buddy which besides generating timecode and reference broadcasts it using wifi so anyone with an iPhone or iPad can view synced timecode.

Since the Ursa Mini doesn't have a timecode output, how did you use Timecode Buddy? The setups I've seen all require the timecode output from the camera to trigger recording on external audio devices or external video recorders. Please explain the setup you've used to have Timecode Buddy work with the Ursa Mini.
www.cinedocs.com

John Fishback

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 11:57 am

Sorry I wasn't clear. We use TC Buddy as TC generator which feeds the camera. I was using this as an example of how to easily distribute TC to others on a set.
John Fishback

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 6:31 pm

John Fishback wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear. We use TC Buddy as TC generator which feeds the camera. I was using this as an example of how to easily distribute TC to others on a set.

Thank you for clarification. If Timecode Buddy is feeding timecode to camera, is it still possible to get record on camera to trigger record on external sound? When using Timecode Buddy with the Ursa Mini have you experienced the 3 frame delay issue reported by others?
www.cinedocs.com

Remo Pini

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 9:43 am

I use exactly that setup (TC Buddy feeding TC to sound and camera) and I can confirm that the timecode on the video side is indeed off by a few frames. This is a mayor foobar, because using Resolve to sync footage is a bad idea (it still doesn't seem to properly export the original audio file names when exporting, so there is no way to work with dual system audio).
Director | Line Producer | https://grayeminence.ch

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 1:02 am

Remo Pini wrote:I use exactly that setup (TC Buddy feeding TC to sound and camera) and I can confirm that the timecode on the video side is indeed off by a few frames. This is a mayor foobar, because using Resolve to sync footage is a bad idea (it still doesn't seem to properly export the original audio file names when exporting, so there is no way to work with dual system audio).

Since V4.0 TC has been perfect for me.

It was a known issue in firmware previous to V4.0 to be 2-3 frames late constantly.

I use three bodies with external clocks and the sync has been perfect after 8 weeks of shooting 3-4 hours per day per camera.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Remo Pini

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 7:40 pm

We were using 4.0 final on an Ursa Mini 4.6k...
Director | Line Producer | https://grayeminence.ch

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 6:56 am

Just tested sync in on the Ursa Mini connected through TC IN to BNC out of Zoom F8 and it still runs exactly 3 frames behind.

I'm running firmware 4.2

I thought this issue had been fixed in 4.0? Ugh.

JB, how did you achieve flawless sync?

EDIT May 8th 2017: Finally got it to work consistently on my Ursa Mini. See below for details.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Tue May 09, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 7:52 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Just tested sync in on the Ursa Mini connected through TC IN to BNC out of Zoom F8 and it still runs exactly 3 frames behind.

I'm running firmware 4.2

I thought this issue had been fixed in 4.0? Ugh.

JB, how did you achieve flawless sync?

Is the offset exactly the same ? Always the same ? Is it the same global offset ?

It's pretty normal to have an offset on most cameras or slates. So the question is, is it always the same in this situation ? Have you got anything else aside from the zoom ?

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 5:14 pm

I haven't checked lately what, if any offset the camera has but I've asked the question. I'll let you know.

I have a MOZE TIG28 timecode clock jammed from a master clock that then also jams the slates and then jams the sound recording device, currently a Deva 12.

I personally hate TC slates as they are often wrong and also can have an offset. Easily proven any time you have two of them in frame at the same time. I find 90% of timecode problems are the bloody slate.

Most of the last few shows I've done I've managed to convince post to let go of TC slates. Of course they're still useful if you have a camera that doesn't jam TC.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 5:05 am

John Brawley wrote:Is the offset exactly the same ? Always the same ? Is it the same global offset ?

It's pretty normal to have an offset on most cameras or slates. So the question is, is it always the same in this situation ? Have you got anything else aside from the zoom ?

JB.

I've tested external timecode (not just jammed and disconnected, but continually running from the external source) through the Ursa Mini's TC IN port (on firmware 4.2) from the following sources:

Zoom F4
Tentacle Sync
Sound Devices 633
Ambient Lockit

All four sources yield files that are 3 frames behind in the Ursa Mini.
So, yes it is global and consistent. I know that Resolve and Avid Media Composer can deal with a global offset like that relatively easily. However, it is an unnecessary kink in the workflow and it isn't possible in some other NLEs. I mostly work on long form documentaries and tiny kinks like that can easily grow into huge headaches many years down the road when a doc is finally being finished. Most of the clients that I hand off footage to cannot accommodate a global offset into their workflow. I'd be handing them a problem they are ill equipped to solve and unwilling to accept.

In my experience with Sony, Panasonic and Canon cameras that accept external timecode, an offset is not normal. Every one of those cameras matched the external timecode that it was fed.

The only method that has yielded exact timecode on the Ursa Mini is running LTC from Tentacle to the Ursa Mini XLR and then using Resolve to replace the clip timecode with LTC timecode. Same workflow/client limitations as setting an offset though.

John Brawley wrote:I haven't checked lately what, if any offset the camera has but I've asked the question. I'll let you know.

Thanks JB!
www.cinedocs.com

brianholmes37

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 pm

Has this issue been resolved with firmware 4.3 and up? I'm looking to invest in the Tentacle Sync external timecode system, but will likely look into a mixer capable of AES3 output (Sound Devices MixPre-D) if there isn't reliable timecode operation yet.
Last edited by brianholmes37 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 pm

brianholmes37 wrote:Has this issue been resolved with firmware 4.3 and up? I'm looking to invest in the Tentacle Sync external timecode system, but will likely look into a mixer capable of AES3 output (Sound Devices MixPre-D) if there isn't reliable timecode operation yet.

Brian, i think you're talking about recording TC as an audio track, as opposed to feeding the TC input of the camera itself ? Would that be correct ?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

brianholmes37

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:39 pm

John Brawley wrote:
brianholmes37 wrote:Has this issue been resolved with firmware 4.3 and up? I'm looking to invest in the Tentacle Sync external timecode system, but will likely look into a mixer capable of AES3 output (Sound Devices MixPre-D) if there isn't reliable timecode operation yet.

Brian, i think you're talking about recording TC as an audio track, as opposed to feeding the TC input of the camera itself ? Would that be correct ?

JB

Hi John. I've been syncing via waveform in the past, so timecode operation is new to me. I have a larger project coming up and so am looking to avoid the (often frustrating) process of syncing in Premiere. I haven't looked into recording TC via the audio track. I was simply wondering if there is still a three frame delay when using an external time code generator into the URSA Mini's TC input. Hard to test with my camera, of course, since I haven't purchased the system yet. If there is, I'd rather look into avoiding double system altogether by grabbing the Mini Pro and a MixPre-D to run digital audio into the AES3 XLR inputs. I'd rather sync via timecode, though, because the newly announced Sound Devices MixPre 3 seems to have much improved pre-amps/dynamic range and greater functionality at a similar price point.

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 pm

brianholmes37 wrote:Hi John. I've been syncing via waveform in the past, so timecode operation is new to me.

There are two ways to sync TC on the camera side.

One is to feed an external TC generator that can generate SMPTE TC into the TC input of the camera. The camera's internal clock then JAM syncs to the external source as long as it is present. If you remove the external clock, then the clock reverts to the internal clock ONLY.

The internal clock isn't particularly accurate at keeping time and will drift within a short amount of time.

If you leave the external clock fitted then the internal camera clock constantly re-jams itself to the external source. Depending on how accurate THAT source is you should have a very accurate clock.

The 3 frames being discussed here is a separate sync issue to all of this. The issue was that even with the external clock fitted, there was a constant OFFSET, so it was always 2 or 3 frames out, usually always the same amount. This issue is resolved with the most up to date camera firmware.

There is another way to sync sound, possibly one that's even more accurate, and that is to take the same external clock and then record as an audio track, the TC output of the clock. IN Some post software, like AVID and Resolve, you can use "AUX" TC sync to re-generate the TC of the clip from the audio track recorded. It kind of sounds like you're recording a fax machine and it's AWFUL when you have the faders up and forget to mute the channel !

This method of timecode recording is especially useful for when you have devices that don't have a TC input, like your audio recorder. I believe the tentacle work's well in this scenario, but I haven't used it. I use a different clock called a MOZE TIG which does the same thing.

So, two ways to record TC in camera, and the sync issue that's being discussed here isn't as much of a problem.

I do still get occasional sync issues, but that's down to the vagaries of the timecode gods. You'd think in 2017 this should be perfect and easy, but it rarely is.

SOP, should be to have a TC clock full time on every device. So one fitted to the camera jamming the camera's clock. A second jammed clock is then fitted to what's recording sound.

Then the only issue is are you recording a SMPTE TC stream (aka the "fax" machine) or are you jamming the input of the device's internal clock. The Ursa can do this, but it seems your sound recording device can't.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

brianholmes37

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 pm

That was very helpful, John. I really appreciate it. The MixPre 3 can take TC via HDMI or 3.5mm jack and will stamp the file accordingly.

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 pm

brianholmes37 wrote: The MixPre 3 can take TC via HDMI or 3.5mm jack and will stamp the file accordingly.

Then you SHOULD be in business. You ideally have two external clocks, one for the camera, one for the recorder.

You also need a MASTER clock to jam these two clocks, and in some cases one of the two clocks can be a MASTER clock as well.

Perversely, you could even use the camera as the Master clock to jam the two external clocks initially.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Uli Plank

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:29 am

How? The Camera has no TC in.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Denny Smith

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:44 am

The Ursa Mini has a TC input, on the back,just above the 4-pin XLR power input.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:26 am

Sorry, my bad, I meant TC out. John wrote:
"Perversely, you could even use the camera as the Master clock to jam the two external clocks initially."
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Denny Smith

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes, that would be a good trick without TC out, and given John said the camera's clock drifts on it own, I to not think this is what he meant, either.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon May 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Perhaps John was thinking of the URSA that has TC Out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostMon May 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Some clocks can strip the tc from the SDI out.

the Ursa Mini doeant have tc out.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Also worth noting that URSA Mini Pro has a much improved internal timecode clock so if you Jam it and then unplug it. With the camera running constantly it should hold timecode with less than 1 frame drift every 8-9 hours.

Denny Smith

PostThu May 04, 2017 12:04 am

That's good news Tim, thanks for the update. Any chance the new Time Clock will,filter down to the other two UM?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu May 04, 2017 7:01 am

Tim Schumann wrote:Also worth noting that URSA Mini Pro has a much improved internal timecode clock so if you Jam it and then unplug it. With the camera running constantly it should hold timecode with less than 1 frame drift every 8-9 hours.

Great to hear that about the Pro. Any current owners out there tested this? It would be great to hear your experience, successful or otherwise.

I've yet to get my original Ursa Mini to accurately sync even when keeping an accurate clock constantly connected to the timecode input. I've had to resort to using up one of the XLR inputs to run in LTC and then take time in post to run all the files through Resolve prior to editing to restamp them with the LTC timecode. It's a pain.
www.cinedocs.com

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 04, 2017 7:28 am

Jamie can you confirm the EXACT setup you are using and your procedure?

When external is connected it should be accurate but I did speak to someone at NAB who was having 3 frame offset, so we can look into it again. Please let me know what your exact setup was and we can try to recreate it.

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:Jamie can you confirm the EXACT setup you are using and your procedure?

When external is connected it should be accurate but I did speak to someone at NAB who was having 3 frame offset, so we can look into it again. Please let me know what your exact setup was and we can try to recreate it.

Might have been me. I was there at NAB, but I think it was someone else from BMD that I spoke to about the issue. Tomorrow I should have a block of free time to retest and document the entire setup with text and photos so that it is clear if I've made some obvious mistake that is causing the issue. I will also post a link to the recorded files from the camera and the external audio recorder too.
www.cinedocs.com

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes please PM me your email address and we can go through this direct.

Sylvain Moreau

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:02 am

Hi,

I'm planning to use my zoom F4 with an Ursa mini pro.
normally i link F4 to camera with BNC and jam camera or F4 then unplug.
Zoom F4 is accurate enough but to make sure i rejam the units sometime during the day or each time it's powered off.

would that be enough with Ursa mini pro ? or does it need a constant TC in.
the cameraman says he always struggled to sync his Ursa mini pro to TC and not sure how to do this :?

i can't find on the manual REC RUN, FREE RUN, JAM settings
i find something about "source reference" but not sure it's about timecode
can someone tell me wich menu to go to do this ?

oh.. by the way if a moderator is reading. register to this forum is not easy for foreigners.
the antibot question is very difficult if you'r not fluent english (this thing about "hyphenate" for HDMI) i had to try several time wich is really annoying :?

rick.lang

PostFri May 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Sylvan, look at Tim's post #29 for your answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

John Fishback

PostFri May 05, 2017 8:19 pm

rick.lang wrote:Sylvan, look at Tim's post #29 for your answer.

Reference is usually a video signal timed to a very stable clock. For best lock to timecode you need a ref signal. That way your camera and timecode are locked to the same clock. Better t/c generators output both ref (genlock) and timecode. When both are fed to a camera t/c is locked. Same for all cameras on the set when they use those same signals.
John Fishback

John Brawley

PostSat May 06, 2017 6:51 am

John Fishback wrote:

Reference is usually a video signal timed to a very stable clock. For best lock to timecode you need a ref signal. That way your camera and timecode are locked to the same clock. Better t/c generators output both ref (genlock) and timecode. When both are fed to a camera t/c is locked. Same for all cameras on the set when they use those same signals.

Actually reference only provides PHASE lock, so that the frame cycles start at the same time. They COULD still have different timecode offsets though, yet still be in phase.... Bad timecode, but the frames all see things at the same time.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Sylvain Moreau

PostSat May 06, 2017 7:34 am

Hi rick,
well i did but the cameraman says that when removing time code IN cable the camera switchs back to h:min:sec. (no more frames) and i think (have to confirm with him) that the time displayed is back to what actual real time is.

Sylvain Moreau

PostSat May 06, 2017 7:42 am

John Brawley wrote:
John Fishback wrote:

.../ When both are fed to a camera t/c is locked. Same for all cameras on the set when they use those same signals.

Actually reference only provides PHASE lock,
JB

sorry i don't get it.
you min the URSA will only be in sync regarding frames but not following the actuall timecode getting in the TCIN port :shock: ?

John Fishback

PostSat May 06, 2017 1:18 pm

John Brawley wrote:
John Fishback wrote:

Actually reference only provides PHASE lock, so that the frame cycles start at the same time. They COULD still have different timecode offsets though, yet still be in phase.... Bad timecode, but the frames all see things at the same time.

JB

That's true, but without phase lock you can't be sure what's causing an offset. If you have phase lock and an offset, then it's probably a camera issue.
John Fishback

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:18 am

Tim Schumann wrote:Yes please PM me your email address and we can go through this direct.

Thank you Tim. I appreciate the help.

I think the problem is now under control. I finally had time to retest sync with externally fed timecode today and this time the audio on the Ursa Mini audio was consistently 1 frame behind the audio recorder when the timecodes were lined up. Same firmware as the last time I tested (where the offset was totally inconsistent and random), but there's been an RMA in between where a couple boards were replaced, so I think that must have fixed it. I will update my posts above for those who don't scroll down this far.

For today's test I used a Zoom F4 as the master clock and connected its SDI output to the TC IN on the Ursa Mini. I left them continuously connected (not jammed and removed). I ran one shotgun mic into the Ursa Mini XLR input 1. I ran a different shotgun mic into the XLR input one of the Zoom F4. As a confidence check on the timecode I took a Tentacle Sync that had been jammed to Zoom's timecode and ran LTC audio from it into the Ursa Mini's XLR input 2. I recorded 5 separate clips, each with a slate, on the Ursa Mini recording ProResLT and the Zoom F4 recording 24bit WAV. When I brought the files into Resolve, timecode extracted from the LTC audio matched the timecode metadata in the ProRes files.

Syncing the files by audio waveform resulted it the audio matching exactly, as it should, but the timecode being one frame off between the zoom and the Ursa Mini. When I set Resolve to sync the clips by timecode, the timecode matched but audio on the Ursa Mini is consistently a frame behind the Zoom F4 audio.

So, all I need to get perfect sync by external timecode is a way to offset clip timecode or the clip audio by the 1 frame on a batch of clips. As far as I can tell, Resolve can only do timecode offsets clip by clip rather than a whole set of clips in one go, nor can I see anyway to slip all the clip audio by 1 frame as a batch. Any idea how to force Resolve to do either one to a whole batch of clips at once?

For anyone curious to see for themselves, here is a link to download my test files from both the Ursa Mini and the Zoom F4:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1bnfGXKHqpcS0dGZzBJbHE5QVk
www.cinedocs.com

John Fishback

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 pm

I recently received my URSA Mini Pro and after reading the manual found info that may help in syncing timecode. My problem was how to feed both ref and timecode simultaneously to the UMP. The only apparent input took either timecode or sync (unlike the URSA 4K that had ins both both signals). What caught my attention was a setting in Menu > Setup > Page 2 > Reference Source. There were 3 choices of where to find ref: INT, EXT or Program. So, if you feed ref to the Program in bnc and timecode to the timecode in bnc all should be good. I checked with BM support who agreed this would work.
John Fishback

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 5:16 am

Good stuff, John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 8:57 pm

John Fishback wrote:I recently received my URSA Mini Pro and after reading the manual found info that may help in syncing timecode. My problem was how to feed both ref and timecode simultaneously to the UMP. The only apparent input took either timecode or sync (unlike the URSA 4K that had ins both both signals). What caught my attention was a setting in Menu > Setup > Page 2 > Reference Source. There were 3 choices of where to find ref: INT, EXT or Program. So, if you feed ref to the Program in bnc and timecode to the timecode in bnc all should be good. I checked with BM support who agreed this would work.

That's great! Have you been able to test it? Very curious to know whether it works for you.
www.cinedocs.com

John Fishback

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 9:39 pm

I haven't as yet, but will try to get to it soon. I'll report the results.
John Fishback

Jon O'Neill

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 9:43 am

Is there anyway to trigger record on a Blackmagic video assist when:

Ursa mini 4.6k > SDI to Teradek Bolt 300 TX > Teradek bolt 300 RX to SDI > Blackmagic video assist?

Is timecode not sent via the SDI?

Tommaso Alvisi

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 am

the BOLT transmits SDI timecode with recent firmwares

Jon O'Neill

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 10:12 am

2.0.4 on a bolt 300? just trying it but doesnt seem to work :,(

Tommaso Alvisi

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 10:26 am

I tried and it works with an Atomos Shogun and my Mini 4.6k so prob it's your VA, check it's settings
Next

Return to Cinematography