DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Phil Side

Re: DaVinci Resolve 13 | Big Feature Request List(s)

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 11:57 am

Make it easier to rename clips and subclips. Double clicking the name, using F2, or right-clicking and choosing rename would all be good options.

At the very least, multiple subclips from the same master clip should automatically be given unique names.

Nick Lear

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 12:28 pm

John Paines wrote:
Nick Lear wrote:re 2, are you using the latest 12.5? For me I have the setting Edit>Switch To Timeline After Edit ticked and the focus moves automatically from source to record on insert or overwrite. Is that what you're referring to or something else?

Yes, I'm current (on Windows), and that setting is selected, it's the default.

After editing in a clip from the Media Pool, the timeline playhead will function, but not the previous/next function of the up/down keys -- that remains in the Media Pool, unless the timeline window is clicked.

And when editing in a clip from the source viewer, the playhead focus remains in the source viewer and the previous/next focus is in the Media Pool(!)

Are you getting different behavior on the Mac version?

Win7/12.5.0.052

I think I am getting different results from the Mac version.

One thing I'm able to reproduce is that if I edit in a clip from the media pool by dragging it to the right of the timeline viewer and drop it on insert say, then the arrows stay with the media pool. If I edit it in via F9 or Edit>insert then the arrows work in the timeline straight away (though strangely about 1 time in 20 I do see what you're describing, though I can't see a pattern of what triggers it).

From the source viewer whichever way I edit in a clip or portion of a clip, whether drag, F9 or menu, all focus moves to the timeline, for arrows, playhead etc.

I should say that I don't use the arrows normally for next/previous edit, though I did for this test switch back to the standard layout. For me in my own keyboard layout, for all of the ways I can edit a clip from the media pool to the timeline, the next edit/clip function works straight away. I mention this as it points to it being potentially a bug, around using arrow keys for more than one thing, i.e. up/down in a menu or bin as well as the next/previous clip/edit function. And the difference between Win and Mac also points to that.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

John Paines

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Nick Lear wrote:
I think I am getting different results from the Mac version.

One thing I'm able to reproduce is that if I edit in a clip from the media pool by dragging it to the right of the timeline viewer and drop it on insert say, then the arrows stay with the media pool. If I edit it in via F9 or Edit>insert then the arrows work in the timeline straight away (though strangely about 1 time in 20 I do see what you're describing, though I can't see a pattern of what triggers it).

From the source viewer whichever way I edit in a clip or portion of a clip, whether drag, F9 or menu, all focus moves to the timeline, for arrows, playhead etc.

No matter how I edit in a clip into the timeline from the Media Pool (f9/f10, right click and select append or insert, drag and drop to timeline or timeline viewer) the next/previous focus remains in Media Pool.

And, when editing from the Source Viewer, play focus remains in Source and previous/next focus in the Media Pool.

The odd man out for me is the occasional failure of even playhead focus to shift to the timeline.

If it's a known anomaly in Windows, I'd shut up about it, but there's been no word....

Nick Lear

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 12:42 pm

John Paines wrote:No matter how I edit in a clip into the timeline from the Media Pool (f9/f10, right click and select append or insert, drag and drop to timeline or timeline viewer) the next/previous focus remains in Media Pool.

I feel your pain, that would be very annoying.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Phil Side

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Have the marker details panel open with the title highlighted, rather than the details box. There's not much point in have a blue marker called "blue marker". I always want to change the title so that something meaningful is displayed when mousing over the marker.

Phil Side

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 4:02 pm

When using multicam edit, control-z should undo the just the last cut. It shouldn't undo all of the cuts made so far.

John Paines

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Nick Lear wrote:I should say that I don't use the arrows normally for next/previous edit, though I did for this test switch back to the standard layout. For me in my own keyboard layout, for all of the ways I can edit a clip from the media pool to the timeline, the next edit/clip function works straight away. I mention this as it points to it being potentially a bug, around using arrow keys for more than one thing, i.e. up/down in a menu or bin as well as the next/previous clip/edit function. And the difference between Win and Mac also points to that.

You're right: changing the next/previous clip shortcuts to something other than the cursor keys -- say, "x" and "c" -- does shift navigation focus to the timeline, whether editing in clips from the Media Pool or Source Viewer.

Not ideal, since the cursor keys are a natural fit for navigation, and there aren't many alpha shortcuts to spare, but at least it's a workaround....

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 8:21 am

Don't know if this has bin mentioned, but what really is on my nerves is, how the LUT roll-out menu works (or rather not works), especially if you have a ton of LUTs in there. Every time I want to grab a LUT, it takes like 3 ore more tries to pick it, before the menu collapses.

Would also love to see a better way to sort them like custom folders.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Jean Claude

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 10:11 am

@ Frank
(On Windows) if I remember:
Project Management -> lookup tables -> 3d monitor Lookup table -> right click on the arrow pointing down: a directory listbox entry appears (those after C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\Davinci Resolve\Support\LUT) for each directory on the right list read. It remains only to save luts in different directories.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jean Claude

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 4:40 pm

oops! Really sorry, I was wrong (problem with my memory):
do not right click but click on 3 points.
Really sorry.
luts.jpg
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Dmytro Shijan

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 5:02 pm

add ACES Look Modification Transform [LMT] support :idea:
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Dmytro Shijan

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 2:54 am

Add please the option for LUT color and curve transforms visualisation. Something like Lattice app or this:
Unknown-1.jpg
Unknown-1.jpg (340.1 KiB) Viewed 14784 times

Unknown-2.jpg
Unknown-2.jpg (322.42 KiB) Viewed 14784 times

Nick Lear

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 6:56 pm

Using DR as an editing application primarily, I would like it to remember what page I was on when I last quit (e.g. the Edit page) rather than always opening on the Media page which I rarely need after I've set the project up.

It would also be nice to auto open the last project used - or is this already possible?

Ara Thomassian

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 8:14 pm

The ability to lock the "display node graph" to a STILL rather than just automatically update. Some of us enjoyed the way it was... :cry:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 10:31 pm

A simple built-in adjustable audio high-pass filter (or low-freq roll off) would be extremely useful.

Every free VST plugin I've tried eventually crashes Resolve 12.5.1 & earlier on two completely different very clean Win 10 Pro PCs. Tired of looking for something simple, free & reliable.

So, built-in is preferred. :-)

-

Tasio Liberakis

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 8:09 am

LUT preview, renaming clips and a simple paint effect, would do it for me. And full access to optimized media, would be good.
W10 pro 22H2|X399 Taichi|TR4 1920x|64GB Hyper X@2133|
3060 12GB/Nvidia 531.41
Nvme system&scratch disks

Dan Sherman

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 2:42 am

• It would be nice to be able to give directories in the media storage section an 'alias' or a "display name", that way we can see that instead of a full file path.
  • It would also be nice to be able to disable, or toggle the "Usage" information, in the media storage section.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jean Claude

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 5:15 pm

I really wish BMD trying to reduce material consumption which became expenentielle.
I found AVID going in this direction and I hope that BMD will follow ..
I confess to having increasingly to have trouble keeping this financially material consumption because it takes a little too often change equipment.
Thank you.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:add ACES Look Modification Transform [LMT] support :idea:

+1

Preben Randhol

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Njordy Jovanovich wrote:
17. Resolve Lite for Linux [ by Martin Schitter ].

I also want to thank BlackMagic for their cameras and software.

I recently bought my second Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera as I love the films they produce. I'm an hobbyist/enthusiast (not professional), and my dream would be that the point above was realised in Davinci Resolve 13. Now that Fusion came in Linux version, I hope Davinci Lite will also be available in Linux so I can move my entire workflow to Linux. I use Linux for everything else as it saves me time and frustrations. I guess I could have bought a professional version of Davinci, but I prioritised getting a second camera in stead. ;)

I think it also would make sense to have people use Davinci Lite in Linux as they then have no problem of using professional version of Davinci Resolve if they pick this up as a career.

JTLittleton

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 9:13 pm

I do a lot of final mastering on Resolve with several discrete audio tracks.

12.5 was a godsend with additional features like the ability to add several audio tracks to a timeline at once and also set them all to mono at the same time, as well as the added render feature to make each audio track separate in the QT, as opposed to one track with 12 channels or whatever.

But what's still a huge pain in the ass is having to assign track outputs in the Track Mixer. I wish that when I add 12 mono tracks to a timeline, it would automatically assign each track to the corresponding channel and set each channel to mono. (ie Track 1 to Ch1, Track 2 to Ch2, etc). As it is right now, when I add 12 mono tracks to the timeline and open up the track mixer, each track is assigned to output stereo on 1+2.

That's probably my biggest annoyance at the moment.

Also it would be nice to dustbust on something other than 10-bit DPX files. Being able to dustbust on 16-bit DPX files is going to be essential soon.

I understand why it's not feasible to dustbust on a ProRes file, but it would be nice if it had the option to convert a file to DPX within the timeline so that it could be dustbusted.

Peter Cordes

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 11:32 am

Hi,

from some other applications I know a very charming thing that I'd wish to have in Resolve.

It's the behaviour of the scroll-bar under the timeline.

If you click on the scrollbar and move the mouse to left or right the scrollbar goes left or right and moves the timeline. That's normal as usual.

But ...

If you move the mouse upwards or downwards and the timeline zooms in or out (as if you click on the plus or minus symbol above the timeline) that would be very very charming - especially if you work with a wacom tablet or any.

Thanks.
Peter

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Peter Cordes wrote:Hi,

from some other applications I know a very charming thing that I'd wish to have in Resolve.

If you click on the scrollbar and move the mouse to left or right the scrollbar goes left or right and moves the timeline. That's normal as usual.

But ...

If you move the mouse upwards or downwards and the timeline zooms in or out (as if you click on the plus or minus symbol above the timeline) that would be very very charming - especially if you work with a wacom tablet or any.

Thanks.
Peter

Hold the Alt 'option' key and scroll to zoom.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cordes

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Peter Cordes wrote:Hi,

But ...

Thanks.
Peter

Hold the Alt 'option' key and scroll to zoom.

Yes, that's a possibility, but it's not as easy.

I have to put my left hand away from the shuttle to press the alt-key on the keyboard and to put away the wacom-pen out of my right hand to grab the mouse and scroll the mouse-wheel.
With the function I mean, you don't have to press an further key, so you can leave the left hand on the shuttle, keep the pen in your right hand and move'n'zoom the timeline just with the tablet-pen. :-)
Even if you work with the mouse instead of the wacom-pen.

Thanks.
Peter

Dermot Shane

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 3:39 pm

i have alt / ctl/ shift mapped to softkeys on my wacom, and mouse scroll mapped to the right hand slider

it's a huge help, i use the wacom's scroll all the time, easy access with the pen or a fingertip

almost never touch the mouse

Peter Cordes

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:
almost never touch the mouse

That's my intention. :-)

Thanks for the hint. :-)

JTLittleton

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 7:23 pm

I'd also like to request the ability to conform EDLs to single frame title cards as detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=50306

Right now I'm able to get by with manually cutting in and/or force conforming each title card, but I'm thinking if I ever work on a show with subtitles throughout and the clients supply the subtitles as single frame tiffs, this is going to be a huge issue.

Ara Thomassian

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 4:03 pm

A working/responsive adjust window from panel to software.

lets say I have a window on the screen I need moved. I should be able hit the "adjust window key" and move the 4th trackball to move it.

Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not.

Other times I don't need to hit the button at all to move it.

I've tried to make sense out of it but cant...

Other times I'm hitting the button 2 or 3 times to get it to work.

Nick Lear

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 9:07 am

What I wouldn't give for dupe detection today!

With a duplicate frames indicator, you can append a selects timeline at the end of your cut (decompose if necessary) and in an instant see which of your shots you haven't already used as cutaways in the sequence. So useful when cutting your b roll.

Ryan Humphrey

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 3:21 pm

What I want is the ability to set arbitrary frame rates. I correct a lot of scanned 8mm and 16mm films. I see material shot at 12, 16, 18 and other weird frame rates all the time. It's a total pain in the butt that I can't play any of it in real-time. Also doesn't look very professional when I have someone else sitting in.

So let us set our own frame rates! If there's a worry about it being non-standards-compliant stick a big warning checkbox or something to make sure the operator reality knows what they are doing.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 5:31 pm

Ryan Humphrey wrote:What I want is the ability to set arbitrary frame rates. I correct a lot of scanned 8mm and 16mm films. I see material shot at 12, 16, 18 and other weird frame rates all the time. It's a total pain in the butt that I can't play any of it in real-time. Also doesn't look very professional when I have someone else sitting in.

So let us set our own frame rates! If there's a worry about it being non-standards-compliant stick a big warning checkbox or something to make sure the operator reality knows what they are doing.

There is a workaround for that:

let's say that you have 16mm shot at 18fps
load the material, flag it at 24fps
create the project at 24fps
if you play, now it will be faster than realtime for you
go in settings [master project settings][playback frame rate] and set that to 18.

the machine will adjust to play at 18fps thru a normal SDI/HDMI pipeline...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Ryan Humphrey

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 5:50 pm

@waltervolpatto That's useful to know even if it's a bit of an ugly kludge.

waltervolpatto

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Ryan Humphrey wrote:@waltervolpatto That's useful to know even if it's a bit of an ugly kludge.

I know is not a solution... it is just a workaround.... :D :D :D :D :D
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Jean Claude

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Ryan,

I am also in the restoration of old (very) 8mm / Super 8 and etc .. and one (my) solution (for now) is through the 8.333 image interpolation (catch rate) to 25 fps (PAL) and removal of duplicate images. It's been since the year 2004 I do like this (OK it is old! And defects of interpolation but ...)

In the future and with Davinci Resolve (and new feature of acceleration or deceleration and RETIME), I always think of a new workflow but it is only the state analysis.

I did not make the investment but I think that After Effect allows to choose the project framerate.

Blaine Russom

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 11:50 pm

1. In the media page when I click on a folder and select "relink" it should relink everything in that folder. Right now it lets you go through the whole process (including where to search) but does not relink anything.

2. We need a visual indication when Audio clips go offline, similar to how video clips appear when offline. Both on the timeline and the media page.

Thank you!

Grant McNair

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 2:23 am

When you copy/paste track data in the color page it also copies/pastes keyframes you have added in the tracker palette.

William Eguienta

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 4:15 am

A better. Curve tool ! It was good before with the resize function but here is not friendly and precise at all.
Inspire from baselight curve managment, it's awesome !

www.kaiz3r.net

Art Roberts

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 5:47 am

Would be very helpful if Resolve can display multiple camera feeds during Live Grade. Currently it recognizes only one camera, and may require reshuffling to get the other one to show independently. Pomfort Livegrade does this beautifully; but it's only for the mac world. Us windows folks are left in the cold. And I'm not talking about on-the-fly grading. Stills are good enough, but a pain to acquire from Resolve - ONLY from multiple cams. I am currently playing with MediaLooks Direct Take Software. If any one knows how to do this, I would be very grateful for a walk-through.

Nick Lear

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 9:07 am

To be able to right click and choose "clear list" to clear the list of timelines at the top of the timeline viewer. Now I have 60 odd timelines in the list it's not worth using and I'm only working on 3 or 4 right now.

Or just having the latest at the top rather than the bottom would make it useable (the bottom of the list is off the screen once the list is long).

waltervolpatto

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Nick Lear wrote:To be able to right click and choose "clear list" to clear the list of timelines at the top of the timeline viewer. Now I have 60 odd timelines in the list it's not worth using and I'm only working on 3 or 4 right now.

Or just having the latest at the top rather than the bottom would make it useable (the bottom of the list is off the screen once the list is long).

and alphabetical order....

William Eguienta

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 3:37 am

Sort shot with multiple criteria or numerical order
Like scene - shot - take
It's actually totally random if you order to one of these

Better medai manager, it stuck more than often

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Frank Wylie

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Request that Grouping "chain link" icons be also displayed on the clip thumbnails in the Lightbox on the Color Page, so that you can see more simultaneous thumbnails at once.

Scrolling up and down the timeline is OK, but I find it harder to visually compare clips when you have to scroll across the timeline.

Seems everything else is there to manage groups BUT the "chain link" icons indicating which shots are in the currently selected group and I would really like to use the lightbox to choose shots for groups.

I explored using flags and markers to denote clip groups, but it seems impractical if you use these for other notes and events.
Frank Wylie

waltervolpatto

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 2:53 pm

while we are at, in color, smart bin, the ability to select an arbitrary number of shots and create a smart bin based on selectiong.

SamRobberechts

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Do we have this one?

Output Blanking & Color page Sizing: black on black
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43219

Antoine Grasset

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 9:33 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:Don't know if this has bin mentioned, but what really is on my nerves is, how the LUT roll-out menu works (or rather not works), especially if you have a ton of LUTs in there. Every time I want to grab a LUT, it takes like 3 ore more tries to pick it, before the menu collapses.
Would also love to see a better way to sort them like custom folders.

+100000
Theses roll-out menus are a pain and close on me all the time.
And we really need LUT preview when the pointer is hovering the list.

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 5:26 am

More graphical color spaces support in Color Space Transform node tool and input (ProPhotoRGB, AdobeRGB, BetaRGB)
Option to manually add custom input color spaces. Can be useful for developing and converting scanned images or scanned film negatives with custom profiles.

waltervolpatto

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:More graphical color spaces support in Color Space Transform node tool and input (ProPhotoRGB, AdobeRGB, BetaRGB)
Option to manually add custom input color spaces. Can be useful for developing and converting scanned images or scanned film negatives with custom profiles.

it is somewhat possible to do with a dctl....

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Ryan Humphrey wrote:What I want is the ability to set arbitrary frame rates. I correct a lot of scanned 8mm and 16mm films. I see material shot at 12, 16, 18 and other weird frame rates all the time. It's a total pain in the butt that I can't play any of it in real-time. Also doesn't look very professional when I have someone else sitting in.

+1

YESSSS!!!!

PS: Thanks for the tip, waltervolpatto.

My two cents:

Position curves. The same curves we have for rotation, zoom, yaw and pitch, we NEED it for position too.

Now, with DR, if you animate the position of a layer, you can not tweak the curve for easing out keyframes and get a customized "soft landing". IMHO this is close to a bug, and make position animation useless in 75% of cases.

I posted about this issue a few months ago
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=50228

Eddy Juillerat

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 10:12 am

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Add please the option for LUT color and curve transforms visualisation.

Sounds really specific high tech.
I'm afraid too much options can make it heavy. It's hard enough on low level systems.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Eddy Juillerat

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 10:19 am

What about a grid?

In the menu View, beside Safe Areas, the ability to show a grid (made of lines or maybe dots) on all the image. Useful with architectural shots or any footage containing lines we need to make straight or when we need to correct the perspective of a building, making vertical lines vertical or parallel.

Alternatively, we can use the Wipe tool to help for now with verticals.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve