Shipping dates

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

hong dan

Shipping dates

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello everyone.

Can anyone bring any light to the shipping dates and when the first batch will be out?

Hong Dan

Jason Davis

Re: Shipping dates

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Dates according to Adorama and BH Photo are available tomorrow. Chances are that's then the units are going to ship FROM Black Magic. They have to make their way to the retailers, then on to the end user, so it's possible that they are still a week out from our hands...then of coarse there is the issue of all the pre orders...

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 12:37 am

I suspect there will be a further delay as I spoke to my supplier here in the UK today and they said they have not heard anything from BMD.

I would love to hear something from BMD about all this but it seems like any discussion about shipping dates or expectations is being ignored. I'm sure they have their reasons.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Jason Davis

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 am

Unfortunately i think the same thing. I hope they don't keep stringing along. I don't know that they will for too much longer though because they are releasing production runs of the camera and letting files be released, unless of coarse they want us to get excited about the camera and them delay it for another month. I personally can't see them getting a large volume of units manufactured in only 1 month. I have money laying in wait for more than 1 of these cameras and it was between a few of these or the Red Scarlet and I chose this but if they keep changing the delivery time, Red it is. I think it's with High End Camera companies, remember Red releasing the Red One?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 am

Hi Jason: I agree that waiting can be frustrating, but I really think the BMCC will start shipping very soon. By which I mean within about 2 weeks or so. But that's just a guess based on my reading the tea leaves scattered around the web.

I do think it's humorous that you're considering giving up on waiting for the BMCC -- which is only 1 month "late" after the initially promised "July" deadline -- for a RED Scarlet, a camera which people literally waited years for, and which only shipped in name only; everything else about the cam changed by the time it finally shipped.

Not to mention the apples & oranges comparison between a $3K "add a lens & a SDD & shoot & grade" BMCC, and a $10K "add a lens & really expensive media & at least $5K worth of more stuff & then shoot" Scarlet.

I'm optimistic the BMCC will start shipping in days, not months. We shall see ...

Jason Davis

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Oh for sure, Peter. I too have tried to read the wind like the monkey on the Lion King to see when the shipping will start. I followed the Scarlet from the beginning back when it was going to be the Red Epic Lite back when it was going to be 4k for 3k wasn't it? Back when it was fixed lens and all that crap then the price bumped up way from a price that most anyone could afford to where most couldn't afford.
The only reason I had to consider the Scarlet was because it's out. I want to keep on waiting for the BMCC but I don't know if production can keep waiting. We'll see tomorrow.

Denver Riddle

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:11 pm

BHPHoto has dropped their expected release of Aug 30. Now it just says preorder:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... amera.html
Denver Riddle
Color Grading Central
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Interesting. This morning CVP in the UK posted this on twitter:

"Blackmagic say their Cinema Camera is in 'mass' production & customer deliveries are imminent. Fingers Crossed!"

https://twitter.com/CVPgroup

George Wharmby

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:33 pm

I just got off the phone with a guy a Calumet (UK) and they told me that I should have my camera in two weeks time as they are starting shipping...I was worried that I wouldn't get it for months as I only ordered a few days ago.

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Sounds like Calumet don't have a huge preorder list which is great for you. Did they pricematch elsewhere though? Otherwise you're spending £200 more than you need to.

George Wharmby

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah I got a price match, along as I paid in full... They didn't advertise price matching, I just asked when I phoned up. I'm currently number 2 on the pre-order list of 2, i guess there could be cameras in stock at the calumet stores when they are released.

Kholi Hicks

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 pm

I feel dirty participating in this thread, it seems like noone wants to really talk about shipping status and we don't get answers from anyone... but, Kristian Lam did come out of nowhere on another site to dispell a claim... maybe we can get some info on this new claim...

[QUOTE=drazzon;18701]Im so sad right now B&H just told me bmd has delayed shipments and will be five units at a time which i dont understand they pulling a RED on us

Wink, nod, shake of a head... some type of direction communication? I know it must be difficult to get this stuff out, and people (like myself) are just antsy and really want to start shooting their projects with them.

If it wasn't looking like free gold, I don't think anyone would be so worried/on pins and needles.
Kholi Hicks

bhook

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:40 pm

The whole World is watching. ;)

Eric Santiago

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Im gonna go skate a local bowl and maybe Ill bail and go out for a few weeks and wake up to my delivery ;)
Kidding aside (except I really am gonna go vert now), we really should hear something from BMD by tomorrow.
I think we all deserve it after what you pre-orders have gone thru :)

Luke Armstrong

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 pm

You've hit the nail on the head. I suspect the reason there is no outpouring of discussion about shipping dates on this forum is this taboo associated with the topic...

kylebrodeur

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 11:11 pm

I haven't received anything in a month from Texas Media Systems about the BMCC. They said they only had about 40 pre-orders and were giving preference to those who paid in full. I only paid ~$2700 for it so I can't complain about the wait.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 3:52 am

When so many people paid in full to authorized resellers for "Blackmagic Cinema Camera" and didn't get any official announce about the situation. When authorized resellers claim that they don't have any information from the manufacturer. When several production companies and directors share photographs with Blackmagic Cinema Camera on the set.. I understand the silence of Blackmagic Design company as an active resistance to the accomplishment of the rights of information and consultation of customers of the company.
It discredits the PR department, the management and reputation of Blackmagic Design.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 am

Pete, dramatic language given that the current delay previously announced I believe said shipping by the end of August. We're not quite there but we'll know shortly. Everyone has said it may take days to weeks for distributors to receive their shipments. There should be some solace that delivery of production models has started to people who are testing and blogging their findings.

Here's hoping you receive your camera very soon. DaVinci Resolve 9 is part of the shipment and I don't believe that's quite ready yet but those testers did receive a software disk so maybe that's not going to further delay the camera release.

[updated to add statement from BMD]
Sorry, Pete. You're right that it's not going out at the end of August. A few days ago there was a post on BMCuser describing a delay related to gathering feedback from the current field test:
http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4 ... #post17659

So we don't know when it ships but we know it's "days not weeks" which is simply silly prattle when it's more than a 7 days. If it ships at the end of September, we have to think of it as 30 "days" later, not more than 4 "weeks.". Obviously if they are gathering feedback for a couple of weeks, it's going to take time to deal with the feedback and determine what must be fixed before the camera is released and what can wait until a later firmware update. Again, apologies I did not appreciate the extent of the delay when I first read her comments. She had me glossing over the details when I first saw "days not weeks!"
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

PetePolyakov

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 5:56 am

As professionals we should respect other professionals time. Especially in the XXI century, when to be in touch with customers means sometimes just to publish a couple lines on the official website.
And if the sales at B&H and other resellers wasn't donations to a venture project, it implied the responsibility of the company to their customers, including keep them informed. I'm kinda disappointed that the company company that has such great history and high standards made the point when.. Practise what you preach.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 am

Agree. Please see my update to my original note to you! Disturbing when you see this news from someone who apparently is relaying the contents of an e-mail exchange without any formal posting by BMD on their website. Hardly seems professional or that the knows how to manage their statements to customers. Guess BMD didn't get the memo from Steve Jobs about company communications... 8^)
Rick Lang

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump on here and give a heads up. The cameras are shipping now. The initial shipment was rather small, smaller than we would have liked. This will change as our part supply ramps up. Once that happens production will ramp up and we will be able to deliver many more cameras at a time.

However, it is worth noting, we still have a bit of a back order to get through so it may still take some time to get your unit.

Rest assured that once we get ramped up, we will not simply be shipping five BCC's at the a time. Without getting into too much detail, B&H did get only a handful on their first shipment, and the rest went to some of our OTHER dealers in our channel.

So...we totally understand your guys excitement to get your cameras. Just rest assured we are working as hard as possible to get them to you quickly.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Congratulations! I thought you would come through if only in limited supply initially. But the horse is out of the barn and now all hands are hoping to corral him!
Rick Lang

Michael Beck

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks Joshua!

Is there any way that you could list the dealers that are getting cameras?

Joshua Helling wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump on here and give a heads up. The cameras are shipping now. The initial shipment was rather small, smaller than we would have liked. This will change as our part supply ramps up. Once that happens production will ramp up and we will be able to deliver many more cameras at a time.

However, it is worth noting, we still have a bit of a back order to get through so it may still take some time to get your unit.

Rest assured that once we get ramped up, we will not simply be shipping five BCC's at the a time. Without getting into too much detail, B&H did get only a handful on their first shipment, and the rest went to some of our OTHER dealers in our channel.

So...we totally understand your guys excitement to get your cameras. Just rest assured we are working as hard as possible to get them to you quickly.
------------
-Michael Beck

Randy Walters

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Great news! Thanks for the information, and congratulations on a happy milestone.

I understand it will take a while to ramp up, but I'll keep my fingers crossed, and hope to hear from my dealer in the days and weeks ahead.

All our best to everyone working so hard at Blackmagic Design.

bhook

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 12:39 am

Congratulations!!!! Now bang 'em out...I can hardly w8 to get my hands on mine. :D

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 am

Hi Joshua: Fantastic news about initial end-user "customer ship"!

Best of luck with the ramp up! (I look forward to my BMCC arriving ASAP.)

Cheers to everyone at BMD!

Brian@202020

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 am

Thank you. I look forward to hopefully being part of the first wave.

Mark Broadbent

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 3:09 am

This is good news. Hopefully a decent number have been made available to Australian resellers before shipping off to B&H etc.

PetePolyakov

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks Joshua, all of us was waiting for some official information instead of rumors.

Jamil Yosufi

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

A week ago I have placed my Pre-order at CVP , the support guy told me to wait until October. :(
Director , Visual FX & 3D Artist
Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than you are.

Andrew Usher

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I spoke with CVP in the uk today, i am number 37 in the preorder list, and they have been allocated 30 units at the moment. Got the impression they had no idea of when they where getting their shipment. So, just a case of sitting out and waiting.

Andrew.

PetePolyakov

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 pm

B&H said that they didn't receive anything from blackmagic design yet and they don't provide any information about what's my number in the pre-order list. very disappointing.

PetePolyakov

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 5:37 pm

i would love to know about when BMD expect to release pre-orders (april-september).
september, november.. january 2013?

Johannes

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm number 42 in the CVP pre-order queue. Since they don't know when they'll receive the first 30 shipments, then it seems pretty depressing to think when the second batch of cameras will arrive. Next year?
I've already ordered the bebob starter kit for the bmcc and also the tokina 11-16 lens. The bebob has already been shipped (very good customer service) and the Tokina should be shipped this week.
Guess this equipment will have to collect some dust for a bit...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Blackmagic will get things up and running soon and I won't have to spend my days watching online unboxing videos those lucky ones that have gotten their BMCCs :-)

Johannes

Andrew Usher

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Johannes wrote:I'm number 42 in the CVP pre-order queue. Since they don't know when they'll receive the first 30 shipments, then it seems pretty depressing to think when the second batch of cameras will arrive. Next year?
I've already ordered the bebob starter kit for the bmcc and also the tokina 11-16 lens. The bebob has already been shipped (very good customer service) and the Tokina should be shipped this week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Blackmagic will get things up and running soon and I won't have to spend my days watching online unboxing videos those lucky ones that have gotten their BMCCs :-)

Johannes

I feel your pain, :D , fingers crossed more will come sooner than later. Calumet, told me today that they have no stock allocated yet, so no point swapping preorder. Who knows, maybe things will pick up, or some people in the list ahead of us will vanish :)

George Wharmby

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Andrew Usher wrote: feel your pain, :D , fingers crossed more will come sooner than later. Calumet, told me today that they have no stock allocated yet, so no point swapping preorder. Who knows, maybe things will pick up, or some people in the list ahead of us will vanish :)

Ah, did calumet mention how many pre-orders? I've ordered with them and they said they have had word mine should arrive in two weeks.

Andrew Usher

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Calumet emailed me today about having no allocation yet, and on Friday had said so far 4 preorders.

George Wharmby

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 pm

cheers man, I was pre-order n.o 2. I guess mine might not be coming in two weeks lol

Jason Davis

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:05 am

Adorama just updated the availability of the BMCC from August 31st to September. Now that Black Magic is " Shipping in limited quantities " it's probably closer than we think.

Scott R McCartney

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 am

Can't help like feel I'm entering into a third month of uncertainty, am 58 in line at CVP, and information/facts about shipping and availability feel as elusive as ever. Not sure my nerves can take it much longer! :? :?

Jason Davis

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 am

That's the only thing about knowing about something so far in advance. They announced the thing before they were in production so the anticipation and wait is crazy. One good thing is that they are in fact shipping them, even in super limited quantities.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:00 am

Scott R McCartney wrote:Not sure my nerves can take it much longer! :? :?

oh no its SCARLET FEVER ;)
Last edited by Eric Santiago on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott R McCartney

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 am

Jason Davis wrote:That's the only thing about knowing about something so far in advance. They announced the thing before they were in production so the anticipation and wait is crazy. One good thing is that they are in fact shipping them, even in super limited quantities.

"super limited quantities" like one at a time? :o

samuelchristopher

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 am

Well CVP contacted me yesterday and they said they have the biggest order in Europe and will only be receiving 30 units of the 200 they have ordered, they currently have 148 pre orders. So the bigger question is when will we get the second more mass production unit.
Samuel Christopher
@samchristopher
www.samuelchristopher.co.uk

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:08 am

Johannes wrote:I'm number 42 in the CVP pre-order queue. Since they don't know when they'll receive the first 30 shipments, then it seems pretty depressing to think when the second batch of cameras will arrive. Next year?

Johannes

oh Johannes, i feel the same pain :-) ordered the viewfactor cage, shoulder rig (by parts), v-mount batteries, charger, mattebox, bought 18mm zeiss, 11-16tokina... sdi-hdmi converter and etc... feel like someone theft something from me....

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:13 am

samuelchristopher wrote:Well CVP contacted me yesterday and they said they have the biggest order in Europe and will only be receiving 30 units of the 200 they have ordered, they currently have 148 pre orders. So the bigger question is when will we get the second more mass production unit.

it just insane..
if they would say - "guys. we will cover pre-orders that we have right now in october-november-december"
i wouldn't buy all the stuff that i have (basically spent 3000+ on the grip and etc). it's makes me angry. because i'll those promises are broken. and now we just getting the messages aka "we work as hard as we can"... no any clear information... i feel like i hate bmd right now..

simonkn

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 am

. i feel like i hate bmd right now

Oh My God people..... (I promise at nearly 40 i'll never say that again! - and might not if i get banned for saying this!!)

Some of us are starting to behave like spoiled children at Christmas who can't have the new-wonder-toy!

If you want the crappy thrown out quickly version then go knock on BMD's door and take a pre-prod model. If you want the ironed-out-all-the-warts version then wait... Are we buying this to improve our shooting spectrum or as a bragging-rights devise to wave around the student union???

I'm 140 on the CVP list. It's going to be a Christmas present for me or even an early (May) Birthday present. But i'm doing what another poster put on another thread.... I'm going out an making films/stories/doc with my current equipment and being creative.

I'm all for a new toy, but BMD read these pages and might be tempted to relax on the Customer Service if they start reading things about us "hating" them...

Just a little rant...

Signing off..

SK

Scott R McCartney

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am

simonkn wrote:
. i feel like i hate bmd right now

Oh My God people..... (I promise at nearly 40 i'll never say that again! - and might not if i get banned for saying this!!)

Some of us are starting to behave like spoiled children at Christmas who can't have the new-wonder-toy!

If you want the crappy thrown out quickly version then go knock on BMD's door and take a pre-prod model. If you want the ironed-out-all-the-warts version then wait... Are we buying this to improve our shooting spectrum or as a bragging-rights devise to wave around the student union???

I'm 140 on the CVP list. It's going to be a Christmas present for me or even an early (May) Birthday present. But i'm doing what another poster put on another thread.... I'm going out an making films/stories/doc with my current equipment and being creative.

I'm all for a new toy, but BMD read these pages and might be tempted to relax on the Customer Service if they start reading things about us "hating" them...

Just a little rant...

Signing off..

SK

A little bit harsh Simon, I'm sure there are many here for whom the BMC will be their first Pro standard camera, so the option for them to go and shoot on their existing kit may not be so easy. I agree there is no need for hate, but I can understand the frustration.

This camera is priced at a level that will give people student or otherwise their first real chance to enter the world of cinematography, and for many the price represents a serious investment of capital and not an early "Christmas present". The main concern being mooted in this forum is about information, which has been a little slow in coming and a bit vague when it arrives; this will only lead to rumour and speculation filling in the vacuum and worse it may erode the level of trust between the customers and BMD customer service :? .

Bottom line, the camera is shipping which is fantastic news :D , but it would be reassuring if someone from BMD would offer a little more info about the "limited shipping" to put our minds at ease.

SRM

Michael Beck

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:10 pm

I just wish that BMD would let us know what dealers are getting cameras and how many. Then we would at least have an Idea of what is up. We just want info!! :)
------------
-Michael Beck

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Hey guys! Seems like the frenzy already begun...

Cheers from zee germanz :twisted: .. I just pre-ordered the BMCC from a medium sized german retailer, they have no clue on when they'll receive anything never mind how many... after a quick read through this thread I'm now thinking about placing a pre-order with CVP as well for slightly better chances at receiving a cam before next year. On the other hand.. not sure.. perhaps it's not much of an advantage - what do you guys think?

Normally for paid jobs I rent a RED One / Epic anyways or use my "trusty" 5D for the quick talking head corporate stuff.
My personal opinion: especially if you're used to dealing with RED footage from time to time, even if it's sometimes a bit of a pain because of size/performance (at 4-5k at least) and in between are (mis-)using a DSLR for lower budget stuff... it's just so "heartbreaking" when you have good production value/nice pictures and just this mess of highly compressed moire rolling shutter sludge... of course raw/4k isn't always necessary.. but it can be tear inducing :D
Next

Return to Cinematography