Decimator MD-HX Not Seeing Input From TripleHead2Go

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BenWorkman

Decimator MD-HX Not Seeing Input From TripleHead2Go

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Hope you can help me:

I have an iMac with Propresenter running to a TripleHead2Go Display Port Edition. This outputs 3 1280x720 60HZ to 3 projectors and works quite well. The mac thinks it's one 3840x720 screen, but the projectors receive a normal 1280x720 signal (called Matrox and confirmed this). The 60HZ I found by plugging it into a TV I had handy and checking info.

I would like, however, to bring those 3 inputs into a Blackmagic 2 M/E 4k as SDI inputs. That way if I wanted to do triplewide, I'd feed the projectors those 3 inputs, but otherwise do IMAG on them from the switcher, and have propresenter just do the middle screen.

Enter my problem. My MD-HX (tried a BM HDMI to SDI 4k as well) will not see a signal from the triplehead2go outputs. Doesn't even get to the converting phase, just get a "No Signal" on the status screen. I can take the hdmi literally from the back of the tv that shows it working at 720p and plug it into the Decimator and nothing. I've tried doing a 1x4 HDMI splitter so I can see the signal on a computer monitor working, to the projector working, and a 3rd hdmi to the decimator-- "No Signal."

Really can't figure out what's going on. The Decimator works fine for any computer/camera sources I throw at it, recognizes them instantly. But nothing from this cursed TH2Go.

Anyways, I really hope someone can help me out. Would love to be able to (quickly) go from triplewide Propresenter to IMAG without unplugging/plugging every time.

Thanks!

PS- Forgot to mention- I tried the HDMI into a BM Ultrastudio mini recorder (thunderbolt), but did not receive a signal. Was a little less surprised, as I imagine there's a whole new set of rules on what it accepts. Just as an extra datapoint.

Tom_Bassford

Re: Decimator MD-HX Not Seeing Input From TripleHead2Go

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 11:07 pm

The matrox TH2Go is a really terrible device. It outputs very strange frequency video which often doesn't work correctly, as an added bonus it's almost impossible to control as its app is unreliable and depends on the source computer accepting the weird non standard EDID that it uses.

The best option is to replace the matrox with a Datapath X4. This is a more expensive version of the same concept, but it has scaling processing inside and is able to output standard progressive resolutions correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

SuzanneMills

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 4:06 pm

We're the master distributor for Decimator Design in EMEA + the Americas.

We've had this query from a number of HX users recently and we're actively trying to find a solution. In the short term, our Technical Manager has had it working by going into the EDID preferences from the Powerdesk software and setting it to output two displays of 1920x1080p60. See attached screenshot of EDID preferences.

We'll post again when we've found a more complete solution.
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-03-07 12.33.58.png
Screenshot 2016-03-07 12.33.58.png (66.01 KiB) Viewed 9484 times

Scott Moyer

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Suzanne, can you give us any more information of the software and/or firmware versions that were successful?

I'm attempting this same setup and the Matrox PowerDesk EDID Management screen looks different for me. It's missing the Display Orientation option and has a different layout. I too am getting "no signal" even with similar configuration. Please see attached screenshot for comparison.

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 10.17.10 AM.png
Screen Shot showing differences from Suzanne's EDID Management in Matrox PowerDesk (version?)
Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 10.17.10 AM.png (78.02 KiB) Viewed 9146 times

Mickey Carson

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Has anyone tried this with the dac-70? It seems to have a more forgiving input than the Decimators, although twice the price. Now that I think of it, the price of 3 dac-70s=a Datapath x4.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 6:20 am

The th2go is rubbish. Get an X4 it's totally worth the additional outlay.

Scott Moyer

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 6:59 pm

BenWorkman,

I have been working through this scenario (TripleHead2Go + Decimator MD-HX) with Matrox and Decimator. I have been unsuccessful at getting the setup to work with any Mac that is running at AMD or ATI Radeon graphics unit. Intel or NVidia graphics equipped Macs have worked (And PC's to note). It seems to be an issue with how the AMD/ATI chipset handles this setup. Matrox is baffled as to what the root of the issue is.

I would venture a guess that your iMac has an AMD/ATI graphics unit. Try it with a different system (even a macbook) that's running an NVidia or Intel graphics processor and it should work. Matrox did communicate that they've had issues with certain Intel based graphics units (the Intel HD Graphics 4000 series equipped macbooks).

I'm about 100 hours of work in on this. If you can afford something other than the TH2G -- do it.

BenWorkman

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Scott Moyer wrote:
I'm about 100 hours of work in on this. If you can afford something other than the TH2G -- do it.

Hey Scott! Can't believe I didn't see this back when you replied- are you still working on this? I'm currently trying to use a similar setup in another church (that already has a TH2G), and the iMac has an NVidia card in it (GeForce GTX 780M). Still no input showing up on the Decimator though.

Realize you might not see this, but worth a shot before I break down and buy the X4!

[Quick Edit] Just wanted to update in case anyone else is trying this, I've had it work successfully at 1280x720 50Hz, but not 60Hz. No idea why it won't output at 60Hz that the Decimator can see, but there it is.

BenWorkman

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:The th2go is rubbish. Get an X4 it's totally worth the additional outlay.

Hi Tom! *Finally* picked up an X4 1U for a decent price-- just curious which Dual Link DVI cable to pair with it. Coming out of an iMac, so MiniDP, but the Apple version has some of the worst reviews I've seen. Anything more solid out there or is that the only game in town?

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 7:31 pm

The Apple one works fine. As does the Startech

Eric Holmberg

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 pm

BenWorkman wrote:
Tom_Bassford wrote:The th2go is rubbish. Get an X4 it's totally worth the additional outlay.

Hi Tom! *Finally* picked up an X4 1U for a decent price-- just curious which Dual Link DVI cable to pair with it. Coming out of an iMac, so MiniDP, but the Apple version has some of the worst reviews I've seen. Anything more solid out there or is that the only game in town?

In some cases I have had problems with the apple one, Mostly because of the power supply over the USB being connected to the same computer as the DVI, so when you reboot its not powered correctly . In that case putting the usb on a phone-charger that was always on solved the problem. The StarTech mini dp and standard dp is the one i currently uses without any problems.
When it comes to the x4 because of the image processing it gives you quite a lot of latency. But i do agree that matrox gives you a lot of headache. I just ordered a couple of https://www.startech.com/eu/AV/Displayp ... STMDP123DP to try out, could be interesting.

BenWorkman

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 1:53 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:The Apple one works fine. As does the Startech

Thanks! Will see if I can pick one up used.

Eric Holmberg wrote:In some cases I have had problems with the apple one, Mostly because of the power supply over the USB being connected to the same computer as the DVI, so when you reboot its not powered correctly . In that case putting the usb on a phone-charger that was always on solved the problem. The StarTech mini dp and standard dp is the one i currently uses without any problems.
When it comes to the x4 because of the image processing it gives you quite a lot of latency. But i do agree that matrox gives you a lot of headache. I just ordered a couple of https://www.startech.com/eu/AV/Displayp ... STMDP123DP to try out, could be interesting.

Thanks for the reply! Will definitely keep it powered separately then. May grab a startech version as well just in case.

Curious about the latency issues-- are we talking in the 5-7 frame range or more like 2-3 seconds? Not doing IMAG, just lyrics/backgrounds blended, but latency is always of concern.

Eric Holmberg

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 6:09 am

BenWorkman wrote:

Eric Holmberg wrote:In some cases I have had problems with the apple one, Mostly because of the power supply over the USB being connected to the same computer as the DVI, so when you reboot its not powered correctly . In that case putting the usb on a phone-charger that was always on solved the problem. The StarTech mini dp and standard dp is the one i currently uses without any problems.

Thanks for the reply! Will definitely keep it powered separately then. May grab a startech version as well just in case.

Curious about the latency issues-- are we talking in the 5-7 frame range or more like 2-3 seconds? Not doing IMAG, just lyrics/backgrounds blended, but latency is always of concern.

In my setup I need to ad 4 frames latency on my additional outputs to get them all to sync. So it's ok for just playback material but way to much for live feed.

BenWorkman

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 am

Eric Holmberg wrote:
BenWorkman wrote:

In my setup I need to ad 4 frames latency on my additional outputs to get them all to sync. So it's ok for just playback material but way to much for live feed.

Thanks for the data point. Would love to hear how the Startech wall display versions turn out for you as well.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:48 am

Multistream Transport Hubs require dP 1.2

You may have trouble getting them to work on the Mac.

I've not heard good things about them over long installs. They have similar reliability issues to the th2go.

As far as I can tell Ben isn't running cameras via his X4 so it should all be good.

Heiko Gerth

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi,
back to topic:
I´ve had the same problem with my MD-HX. But I don´t use a TH2Go, I want to convert the output of a Analogway Pulse2 350.
When I use the resolution 1920x1080/50, there is "NO SIGNAL". Changing the resolution to HDTV 1080p/50 makes it work.
So in my opinion the decimator doesn´t recognize RGB, it wants YUV?
I think before the firmware update it was better.

Regards

John Farnworth

PostFri May 05, 2017 8:24 am

Hi Heiko,

I work for the same company as Suzanne Mills in technical support for Decimator products.

The AnalogWay Pulse2 outputs many different standards of Video. Decimator products currently support all SMPTE formats up to, and including 1080p60.

The 1920x1080/50 signal that you were sending originally is described in the Pulse2 PLS350 / PLS350-3G's manual (on page 17) as a Computer format.

The HDTV 1080p50 that you have currently selected is a SMPTE standard signal and so the MD-HX will be able to read this.

I hope this clears up any questions that you may have.

Thanks,
John

Return to Live Production