Clone Tool - Verification Slow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jamesharding

Clone Tool - Verification Slow

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 11:37 am

Hi everyone,

I quite often use the clone tool to copy data from a single drive to 4/5 empty drives. I find that the clone tool is brilliant at copying, much faster than finder as it only reads the data once from the source drive but writes to all the destination drives at the same time.

My issue is that after it has finished copying, the final stage which i assume is the verification stage seems to take forever. It can take up to 5 times longer than the actual copying. Also the time remaining counter in Resolve is wildly inaccurate at this stage, often by many hours. Could someone explain what is happening in this final stage of the clone tool and why it is so incredibly slow? The md5 checksum file seems to appear on the destination drives long before the process has finished in Resolve.

Thanks,

James

Uli Plank

Re: Clone Tool - Verification Slow

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 8:22 am

Checksum generation is slow (the initial writing of the file may happen long before it's finished) and verifying too, but that's why such cloning processes are safer than Finder.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve